Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Disabled People Being Exploited
springv 09:51 AM 09-09-2019
https://www.fox47news.com/news/local...d-amid-protest
People with down syndrome are being exploited. What's your opinion?
Ariana 10:23 AM 09-09-2019
I find this whole thing odd. I think the article was too brief for me to really form an opinion. I know most people find drag shows funny and fun but maybe there is a fine line between laughing at a person in drag and laughing at a DS person in drag.

Tough one. Gut instinct says it is wrong but if the DS adults are making the choice it becomes a grey area.
daycarediva 10:45 AM 09-09-2019
Can DS adults legally make their own choices?

I have a disabled (not DS) adult child and we have guardianship. He cannot legally make any decisions. If he can't consent to a vaccine or physical, he certainly couldn't consent to this, kwim?
Cat Herder 11:14 AM 09-09-2019
Isn't drag just mocking women? Isn't it akin to blackface?

I am not a fox fan, but do find the whole thing to be in poor taste. If they wanted to showcase their talents (as the article states) why didn't they just have a talent show? Maybe because it would not have gotten enough attention?
Blackcat31 12:29 PM 09-09-2019
If any body signed up for this on their own and are basically living unassisted then I think they are free to do as they choose. If someone lives in an assisted living home or with family still and someone else signed them up for this, that is not okay so for me it depends on if a person lives assisted or unassisted and what level of authority they have over themselves.

As for content or subject matter of this "show"... I have no comment.
Ac114 12:32 PM 09-09-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If any body signed up for this on their own and are basically living unassisted then I think they are free to do as they choose. If someone lives in an assisted living home or with family still and someone else signed them up for this, that is not okay so for me it depends on if a person lives assisted or unassisted and what level of authority they have over themselves.

As for content or subject matter of this "show"... I have no comment.
I agree with you blackcat. I have a girlfriend who’s sister has DS. She lives unassisted in her own apartment and gets herself to and from work etc. there is a wide range on severity of the Down syndrome disability just like autism. Some you wouldn’t even know (besides the facial features) and others that will need to be taken care of their entire lives.
Tags:drag
Reply Up