Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Ask for Payment!
delferka 07:07 AM 03-18-2020
Most parents of the kids that I take care of, work in the school system and are getting paid to sit home with their kids. Meanwhile, I'm not getting paid! This is the first week so not sure if some will pay at the end of the week, but just in case, I think I need to write to them. I can't go 3,4,5 weeks without getting paid! Do they think I'll be there with open arms and a smile on my face when this is over?

Any ideas on what to write to them?
Snowmom 07:11 AM 03-18-2020
Set the expectation NOW.

How do you normally communicate with your families?
Individually? As a group email? Website/Facebook group?
delferka 07:14 AM 03-18-2020
Usually through email/text

I'm not sure how to phrase it without sounding mean. I just want them to realize the situation
Gemma 07:21 AM 03-18-2020
My families pay on Monday for the entire week.
As soon as they closed the schools I sent out a reminder that as long as I'm open, tuition is due every Monday, as usual.
So far I've had no problem.

I don't know your policies, but I suggest you make the necessary changes (drastic changes are expected right now), reach out to your family NOW and let them know.

Remember YOU are in charge.
delferka 07:23 AM 03-18-2020
Any ideas as to how to phrase it?
Gemma 07:27 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by delferka:
Usually through email/text

I'm not sure how to phrase it without sounding mean. I just want them to realize the situation
I learned the hard way that in this business, if you don't demand respect and take charge, you will never be in control.
So "if you want to see a difference" put feelings aside and take charge
Cat Herder 07:29 AM 03-18-2020
Just email them an invoice and give them your paypal account info with a due date.

Going forward, I'd recommend getting a kidkare account to auto-invoice them. It takes away almost all discussion of payment.
Gemma 07:29 AM 03-18-2020
"Short and to the point"!... has worked for me way better than lengthy explanatory, apologetic texts
CH and BC are good at that!
delferka 07:30 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I learned the hard way that in this business, if you don't demand respect and take charge, you will never be in control.
So "if you want to see a difference" put feelings aside and take charge
My daughter had a cold on Monday so I closed for a couple of days. She's better now. I jus sent them a message an tole them that we're all healthy and everything has been cleaned a sanitized and I'm good to go. Not sure what the response will be
delferka 07:35 AM 03-18-2020
I think they might think it's unsafe to send their kids to daycare during this time as well
delferka 07:39 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Gemma:
"Short and to the point"!... has worked for me way better than lengthy explanatory, apologetic texts
CH and BC are good at that!
Any ideas how to say it? I mean what would you say?
Cat Herder 07:42 AM 03-18-2020
Any ideas how to say it? I mean what would you say?
What does your contact say about payment? Do you charge when you are closed? Do you have any wording about tuition being due regardless of attendance?

That would help.
maelb05 07:57 AM 03-18-2020
I also have several families who work for the school district. At this point, they are expected to report to work next week to figure out a plan for kids to do distance learning. After next week they tell me they will be working from home. I am not sure what this means exactly. These parents are a elementary teacher, a social worker, an art teacher and choir teacher in a middle school. I am curious to see how they all can teach these things from home and what that would entail?! In your area, are kids distance learning? If so, what does that look like for these teachers?
I have let all my families know that I will continue to update my policies as I feel needed throughout this pandemic as things are ever changing. I also can not go weeks on end without pay from multiple families.
I think it needs to be made clear to all parents, that even if they are able to work from home and choose to keep their children home with them, that we still need to be paid to continue running our businesses. Just like them, we still need to pay our bills. If they expect to be able to keep there spot when this pandemic is over, they should be expected to continue paying us. If not, they risk loosing their spot. I also feel that if our daycare families are not being financially affected by this pandemic (they are still getting paid), their is no reason they cannot continue to pay us.
delferka 08:00 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
What does your contact say about payment? Do you charge when you are closed? Do you have any wording about tuition being due regardless of attendance?

That would help.
It says that I don't charge if I'm closed or if either of us are on vacation. Otherwise full payment is due
delferka 08:05 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by maelb05:
I also have several families who work for the school district. At this point, they are expected to report to work next week to figure out a plan for kids to do distance learning. After next week they tell me they will be working from home. I am not sure what this means exactly. These parents are a elementary teacher, a social worker, an art teacher and choir teacher in a middle school. I am curious to see how they all can teach these things from home and what that would entail?! In your area, are kids distance learning? If so, what does that look like for these teachers?
I have let all my families know that I will continue to update my policies as I feel needed throughout this pandemic as things are ever changing. I also can not go weeks on end without pay from multiple families.
I think it needs to be made clear to all parents, that even if they are able to work from home and choose to keep their children home with them, that we still need to be paid to continue running our businesses. Just like them, we still need to pay our bills. If they expect to be able to keep there spot when this pandemic is over, they should be expected to continue paying us. If not, they risk loosing their spot. I also feel that if our daycare families are not being financially affected by this pandemic (they are still getting paid), their is no reason they cannot continue to pay us.
I agree 100%!!! I'm waiting until the end of this week (when payment is due.) If it doesn't come in, that's when I have to nicely say something. They have to understand!!!
All schools are closed here and they are getting full pay. My daughter is a teacher as well. I know they are doing some on-line learning
Cat Herder 08:12 AM 03-18-2020
It says that I don't charge if I'm closed or if either of us are on vacation. Otherwise full payment is due
And you are open? Right? Nobody gave you a 30 day notice for vacation? So tuition in full is still due.

"Good morning! Just a quick reminder: Tuition is due by ___, today. Thanks!" (or whenever your tuition is due)

Treat it like any other day or any other late payer. Their choice to stay home does not change your tuition due.
delferka 08:15 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by maelb05:
I have a gym teacher, history teacher, school nurse, retail manager and a banker. All home with pay
delferka 08:17 AM 03-18-2020
And you are open? Right? Nobody gave you a 30 day notice for vacation? So tuition in full is still due.

"Good morning! Just a quick reminder: Tuition is due by ___, today. Thanks!" (or whenever your tuition is due)

Treat it like any other day or any other late payer. Their choice to stay home does not change your tuition due.

Thank you! Yes, I'm open. I think they are going to ask why! That's when I need a nice note explaining. I do have a good relationship with them. I just want to say it to make them understand where I'm coming from
Cat Herder 08:22 AM 03-18-2020
Thank you! Yes, I'm open. I think they are going to ask why! That's when I need a nice note explaining. I do have a good relationship with them. I just want to say it to make them understand where I'm coming from
"Just like you, I must have a steady income to continue to provide quality services and meet my financial responsibilities."

That is straight from my contract on payment.
delferka 08:39 AM 03-18-2020
"Just like you, I must have a steady income to continue to provide quality services and meet my financial responsibilities."

That is straight from my contract on payment.
Thank you Cat Herder!
Firefly 08:45 AM 03-18-2020
I’m looking into getting electronic payment. Maybe there’s a way to send them an invoice that way.
Cat Herder 08:47 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Firefly:
I’m looking into getting electronic payment. Maybe there’s a way to send them an invoice that way.
Kidkare does it with the parents email. $8 a month. It also does all of your business, child records, attendance and tax records. https://www.kidkare.com/

It does menus, too, I just don't use that part.
delferka 08:52 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Firefly:
I use Venmo for everyone. I just think they'll be shocked if I charge them and they're not here
Cat Herder 08:54 AM 03-18-2020
I use Venmo for everyone. I just think they'll be shocked if I charge them and their not here
I don't. I think the vast majority of rational people expect to have to pay for daycare. If they don't pay it is only because they think the provider can be pushed around.

Don't be that provider. It just makes it that much harder for the next provider. You deserve to be paid.
Gemma 09:28 AM 03-18-2020
I don't. I think the vast majority of rational people expect to have to pay for daycare. If they don't pay it is only because they think the provider can be pushed around.

Don't be that provider. It just makes it that much harder for the next provider. You deserve to be paid.
I agree!
boy_mom 10:27 AM 03-18-2020
I use Venmo for everyone. I just think they'll be shocked if I charge them and they're not here
They shouldnt be shocked, they signed a contract that states they pay if you are open theres a fine line between being nice abd getting walked over!!
delferka 11:17 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
They shouldnt be shocked, they signed a contract that states they pay if you are open theres a fine line between being nice abd getting walked over!!
Nothing was signed. It was just an email as to what I expect.
Gemma 02:26 PM 03-18-2020
I would write the policy, and demand a signature, now.
Cat Herder 03:09 PM 03-18-2020
You really need to get together a contract and parent handbook. As soon as possible.
Ariana 05:09 PM 03-18-2020
Dear daycare families,
I know that the topic of payment has come up for some of you and in this confusing time I wanted to clear up any misinformation. Tuition for your space is due at the usual time for the usual amount. This ensures that I can pay my bills and can continue to provide care for your child when we all go back to work in a few weeks. I appreciate your understanding during this trying time and can’t wait to see you soon. I hope you are all staying healthy! Blah blah blah
injaymama 07:26 PM 03-18-2020
I agree that we must continue to be paid even if their kids are not attending, BUT what happens if I, or someone in my family, gets sick and I can't provide care? That is at least two weeks of closure. I don't have that kind of paid leave time in my contract. I guess that could be a reality at any time not just in this current situation, but I just haven't really considered it.
Lil_Diddle 07:51 PM 03-18-2020
Almost all of my families are teachers. I just typed up a letter and saved it as a PDF and sent it via text to all families. I had some asking as soon as school was called if they could bring their kids. (He’s an ISS para so I can’t imagine what he’d be doing, except he doesn’t want to be home with his 3 rambunctious kids)

Anyways, in the letter it said I’m not closed but I have concerns taking kids. I expressed all of my concerns and mentioned I know it’s not easy working with kids at home. But I asked three questions of them before they decide to send their children. Is it essential? Is it worth the risk? And are you able to work from home with your child at home?

And then I offered what I hope will make them choose to keep their kids home. I said if they keep their kids home I’ll offer them a 50% discount on tuition. Because I watch teacher kids it’s in the handbook they pay me full rate from the first day of school until the last. I also reminded them that none of us chose this, and none of us are enjoying it. Myself and my assistant still have bills and expenses to be taken care of.

You need to just tell them what you want or need, and try to get them to empathize with your situation. I would say anyone that chooses not to and does not care about you as a person. It’s time to drop them.
delferka 07:07 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Dear daycare families,
I know that the topic of payment has come up for some of you and in this confusing time I wanted to clear up any misinformation. Tuition for your space is due at the usual time for the usual amount. This ensures that I can pay my bills and can continue to provide care for your child when we all go back to work in a few weeks. I appreciate your understanding during this trying time and can’t wait to see you soon. I hope you are all staying healthy! Blah blah blah
Thank you! Are you charging 50%?
delferka 07:10 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
Almost all of my families are teachers. I just typed up a letter and saved it as a PDF and sent it via text to all families. I had some asking as soon as school was called if they could bring their kids. (He’s an ISS para so I can’t imagine what he’d be doing, except he doesn’t want to be home with his 3 rambunctious kids)

Anyways, in the letter it said I’m not closed but I have concerns taking kids. I expressed all of my concerns and mentioned I know it’s not easy working with kids at home. But I asked three questions of them before they decide to send their children. Is it essential? Is it worth the risk? And are you able to work from home with your child at home?

And then I offered what I hope will make them choose to keep their kids home. I said if they keep their kids home I’ll offer them a 50% discount on tuition. Because I watch teacher kids it’s in the handbook they pay me full rate from the first day of school until the last. I also reminded them that none of us chose this, and none of us are enjoying it. Myself and my assistant still have bills and expenses to be taken care of.

You need to just tell them what you want or need, and try to get them to empathize with your situation. I would say anyone that chooses not to and does not care about you as a person. It’s time to drop them.
This is great! Would you care to share your letter?
Ariana 08:13 AM 03-20-2020
Thank you! Are you charging 50%?
I am not charging but I can afford it. Government is also stepping in with a relief fund for self employed people who have had to close. I am Canadian. Hopefully Trump follows suit.
Tags:automatic - billing, automatic payments, kidkare
Reply Up