Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>You had what for breakfast?
Unregistered 04:05 AM 01-21-2015
My dcks were dropped off this morning littlest one in the family let it slip that mom fed them cookies for breakfast! She laughs and says oh it's just been one if those morning... Umm cookies for breakfast!? Chocolate cookies.
sally 04:18 AM 01-21-2015
Last week my 4 yr old daycare boy let it slip that when mommy is home with him and big sis in the mornings she lets them eat chocolate candy bars. She tells him not to tell me and to eat breakfast here. Dad gives them chicken nuggets and spaghetti o's. What happened to cereal or toast?
Unregistered 05:14 AM 01-21-2015
This family hardly ever eats a good breakfast. It's always junk and about an hour after they both hit a huge crash and are the most crabby kids in the world. Oh the joys of watching other peoples children.
Blackcat31 05:32 AM 01-21-2015
Chocolate Pop-tarts
Chocolate waffles
Chocolate granola bars
Chocolate Cookie Cereal
Chocolate Cocoa Puffs
Chocolate peanutbutter spread
Chocolate Protein Shakes
Chocolate dipped cereal bars
Chocolate topped yogurt
Chocolate dipped raisins
Chocolate Oatmeal and Malt-o-meal

.................the list goes on and on...... chocolate everything.

Can't really blame the parent here. At least the child ate breakfast.
Unregistered 05:45 AM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Chocolate Pop-tarts
Chocolate waffles
Chocolate granola bars
Chocolate Cookie Cereal
Chocolate Cocoa Puffs
Chocolate peanutbutter spread
Chocolate Protein Shakes
Chocolate dipped cereal bars
Chocolate topped yogurt
Chocolate dipped raisins
Chocolate Oatmeal and Malt-o-meal

.................the list goes on and on...... chocolate everything.

Can't really blame the parent here. At least the child ate breakfast.
Who do you blame then? The child? Someone has to be responsible for setting food eating habits for the children. You need to give your head a shake if your not blaming the parents for terrible choices.
TheGoodLife 06:02 AM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Who do you blame then? The child? Someone has to be responsible for setting food eating habits for the children. You need to give your head a shake if your not blaming the parents for terrible choices.
Sorry, BC, love you but I have to agree with PP on this one.

I would never call cookies "breakfast," they were fed dessert! They may have something in their stomachs, which may be better than starving, but I would not call it breakfast and could guess that it was the result of giving in to a tantrum or something similar. It happens, though, what can you do!
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 01-21-2015
Why do I have to blame someone?

I just make sure the children that come to me are served healthy nutritious meals/snacks and whenever possible share with parents any tips, tricks and/or ideas I have for healthy eating.

That's the only thing within the realm of what I can change.

I don't stress over things I have no control over and assigning blame to some is as silly as rowing a boat while still on land.

Change the things you have control over and leave the rest.
It's the path to enlightenment. (true happiness)
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
Sorry, BC, love you but I have to agree with PP on this one.

I would never call cookies "breakfast," they were fed dessert! They may have something in their stomachs, which may be better than starving, but I would not call it breakfast and could guess that it was the result of giving in to a tantrum or something similar. It happens, though, what can you do!
It's okay...I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.
I am just tired of reading so many judgmental posts about parents.

Cookies:

flour
sugar
eggs
baking soda
baking powder
vanilla
milk

Pancakes:

flour
sugar
eggs
baking soda
baking powder
vanilla
milk

Guess I am not seeing what the big deal is. Other than the chocolate and the amount of sugar, there really is not much difference.

Plus, enormous amounts of sugar in the morning is a whole lot better than that amount of sugar before bed time. Atleast they have an opportunity to burn it off during the daytime.
SilverSabre25 06:57 AM 01-21-2015
BC has a point. Sure it's not ideal...but life isn't ideal. Odds are the cookies had just as much, if not LESS sugar than a big ol' bowl of fruit loops or a stack of pancakes dripping in syrup with a glass of orange juice on the side.

And who cares if the dad feeds spaghetti-os and chicken nuggets? At least chicken nuggets are protein--it's better than a pop tart. "Breakfast foods" are a cultural construction anyway. If my toddler (who wakes up at 6 AM) wants leftovers for breakfast, at least he's eating.

I think some of you need to remember that parents are not bound by the same food program rules many providers are--and that's okay.
lovemykidstoo 07:01 AM 01-21-2015

Cookies:

flour
sugar
eggs
baking soda
baking powder
vanilla
milk

Pancakes:

flour
sugar
eggs
baking soda
baking powder
vanilla
milk

Guess I am not seeing what the big deal is. Other than the chocolate and the amount of sugar, there really is not much difference.

Plus, enormous amounts of sugar in the morning is a whole lot better than that amount of sugar before bed time. Atleast they have an opportunity to burn it off during the daytime.
This is so true. If you really think about it, not too many breakfasts are "totally healthy". Cereal? Most are loaded with sugar and salt, oatmeal? What are you going to put on it? Sugar? Eggs? First they say eggs are ok, then they say no and now again they say they're ok. Breakfast is a tough meal.
Givingthemgrace 07:11 AM 01-21-2015
Yeah breakfast is tough. We had steel cut oats with chocolate chips stirred in and brown sugar. That's how I like it so that's how I serve it...it's really not very sweet even that way. I get bored of toast, Cheerios, smoothies and eggs. We call it "special breakfast"
Unregistered 07:37 AM 01-21-2015
My kid has had only popcorn for dinner a few times. I justify it that it was a vegetable at one point.

I agree though. This board is harsh with its judgement of parents.
AmyKidsCo 07:48 AM 01-21-2015
ITA. Consider the "muffins" you can buy that are nothing more than renamed cupcakes, complete with chocolate chips and frosting.

Personally I'd rather have my kids eat leftover pizza, hamburger or a homemade cookie than a processed Pop-Tart. And to be honest, my boys have had candy for breakfast after a holiday more than once... until I caught them.
SquirrellyMama 08:18 AM 01-21-2015
My kid has had only popcorn for dinner a few times. I justify it that it was a vegetable at one point.

There have been a lot of parent bashing posts lately. We all need to remember that no one is perfect. We all have our faults and screw up areas. I bribed one of my own kids the other day.

Kelly
sharlan 08:19 AM 01-21-2015

My fil ate "popcorn cereal" several nights a week. He'd pop up some popcorn, drizzle a few drops of oil on it, put it into a bowl and add milk. Quite a few times when my kids were sick, he'd make them his pop corn and watermelon. They called it "grandpa's cure".
sally 08:32 AM 01-21-2015
I'm not bashing the parents - I don't care what they feed their child on their time. But don't feed them junk then bring them to my house telling me they need to eat a healthy breakfast when they just fed them Hershey bars 15 minutes before.
Unregistered 08:36 AM 01-21-2015

It's not our fault that this generation of parents are full of laziness and excuses.
Unregistered 10:13 AM 01-21-2015
It's not our fault that this generation of parents are full of laziness and excuses.

Every generation has its share of laziness and excuses. The same way that every generation has is share of whiners and complainers

Without the parents providers wouldn't be able to stay home and take care of their own children in the same way without the providers parents wouldn't be able to go out and work. Its a team effort.
daycarediva 10:23 AM 01-21-2015
Why do I have to blame someone?

I just make sure the children that come to me are served healthy nutritious meals/snacks and whenever possible share with parents any tips, tricks and/or ideas I have for healthy eating.

That's the only thing within the realm of what I can change.

I don't stress over things I have no control over and assigning blame to some is as silly as rowing a boat while still on land.

Change the things you have control over and leave the rest.
It's the path to enlightenment. (true happiness)

It also may not be what you think. I have a dcg who is chronically constipated whose parents 'sneak' her 'candy' in the mornings. It's SECRET. SHHHHH. It's chewable fiber.

They tried brownies (fiber brownies) but she is a bird and wasn't eating them all.

I don't stress about food unless they're trying to bring it here.

"Oh that's so silly to have for breakfast! What are you going to eat tomorrow? Spaghetti and meatballs?! We are having STRAWBERRIES. I love them because they're sweet. Lets wash hands and go get some!"

Not an issue for me. I have a kid with special needs, if he was willing to eat it, I gave him WHATEVER. Yes I will make your bacon on Sunday into a BLT. I also have a former micropreemie (who still struggles with weight gain). He calls my house breakfast SECOND BREAKFAST, like a little hobbit. He gets donuts for first breakfast at home. Nutritious? No. At least it helps him gain weight.
Reply Up