Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Treat Facility For Lice?
Lostneedanswers 09:04 AM 06-19-2019
Hello. I have a family who has had lice twice in the past year. The mother is insisting that her daughter is getting lice from our facility.

What treatments do you guys have for lice outbreaks in terms of your business. Classrooms, play areas, office space, etc... I don’t believe it’s us but I want to see how others treat lice outbreaks.

What steps do you take to ensure your facility is lice free?
ColorfulSunburst 10:28 AM 06-19-2019
is there someone else in your daycare with the same problem?
ColorfulSunburst 10:36 AM 06-19-2019
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Head lice can survive on a human host for approximately 30 days. They generally cannot survive longer than 24 hours off the host. A female louse lays 3-5 eggs a day. The eggs hatch in 7-10 days and it takes another 7-10 day for the louse to mature and lay their own eggs.
Cat Herder 11:01 AM 06-19-2019
If this child is the only one in your group with it obviously it is coming from their home or secondary childcare provider.

Bedding, car seats, towels, stuffed animals, carpets, rugs and furniture will need to be cleaned/vacuumed in their home.
Pestle 04:04 PM 06-19-2019
I washed anything washable on high heat with a little bleach and dried on high heat, and vacuumed/bleached everything else as applicable. I also bought a bunch of metal lice combs, marked them with initials, checked every child and every member of my family daily, and sanitized the combs daily. Nothing. Family kept turning up with lice. The lice never spread to anybody else.

Head lice can't survive off their human hosts. They can only live on human hair. Give it a good cleaning and a weekend. For a week or so, keep checking yourself and anybody else in the facility religiously. Very unlikely the lice are coming from you.

People are grossed out by lice so they want to deflect their own thoughts of "Unclean! Unclean! Put them out of the village!" onto you instead of acknowledging that they have parasites.

If you do find them on yourself or a family member, read up on treatment here. Never, ever do the "plastic bag around the hairline" trick. It's a terrible folk remedy that has killed at least one child. Better be alive with lice than dead along with the lice.
Tags:lice, lice removal, lice treatment
Reply Up