Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shut Down Policies Due to Coronavirus
twirlerzmom 06:36 AM 03-12-2020
So we have 2 confirmed cases of covid-19 in my small county. So far schools are not shut down but preparing for alternate learning arrangements just in case. My question is if the state shuts childcare centers down do you think parents should still be charged weekly fees or no? I’d like to be nice and say no but unfortunately I can’t afford weeks on end with no pay. Thoughts?
Ac114 06:44 AM 03-12-2020
I was just having this convo with the husband. I don’t know what the right call is. I can’t go weeks without pay either.
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by twirlerzmom:
So we have 2 confirmed cases of covid-19 in my small county. So far schools are not shut down but preparing for alternate learning arrangements just in case. My question is if the state shuts childcare centers down do you think parents should still be charged weekly fees or no? I’d like to be nice and say no but unfortunately I can’t afford weeks on end with no pay. Thoughts?
Are you a center or in home?

I wouldn't panic simply because schools are closing.

I am in MN next door and we are in the middle of the peak cold and flu season so like I posted in another thread, anyone with symptoms more than likely has a cold or the flu.

Just be firm and consistent with health routines and exclusion policies. That's all you can really do.

Unless I myself got the virus, I am open for business.
IF I had to close. I'd still charge as this is my business and bills still need to get paid. As always.
twirlerzmom 08:12 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Are you a center or in home?

I wouldn't panic simply because schools are closing.

I am in MN next door and we are in the middle of the peak cold and flu season so like I posted in another thread, anyone with symptoms more than likely has a cold or the flu.

Just be firm and consistent with health routines and exclusion policies. That's all you can really do.

Unless I myself got the virus, I am open for business.
IF I had to close. I'd still charge as this is my business and bills still need to get paid. As always.
I’m an in home center. We already received notice we are to follow the CDC guidelines at this time. There is talk of possibly shutting schools and childcare centers down but it’s not being done at the current time. I’m wondering what I should do if I’m forced to close down. I still need to pay my bills.
Annalee 08:19 AM 03-12-2020
Im afraid my state is entering the panic mode. Many are working from home and the colleges across the state are closing along with state buildings.
jenboo 08:28 AM 03-12-2020
This is my only worry...I can't afford to not work or not get paid.
Annalee 08:50 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
This is my only worry...I can't afford to not work or not get paid.
My contract states if the "state deems it necessary for us to close for no electricity or water, natural disaster, etc. (but not limited to) payment is due. So most are able to work at home so they will be getting paid anyway. Trump is doing things to help with this, too.
Tin Blues 09:24 AM 03-12-2020
I already wrote a note to my parents letting them know I may close as the coronavirus gets close, told them to get ready and start making a plan. I’ll write them a check and refund money as needed. I plan to go to ground before there’s a mandatory lockdown or quarantine. My parents can’t afford to pay me when I’m closed. The majority already live paycheck to paycheck and have no savings. They’re young and absolutely clueless.

I’m diabetic and also have high blood pressure.
The death rate for diabetics is 7.3% and for high blood pressure is 6%.

The health system in Lombardy Italy is rated a 9.9 out of 10, one of the best places in the world for health care. And they are totally overwhelmed. There’s no way our small rural community will have the health resources to deal with this. So my best bet is to distance myself early. And I know my daycare parents aren’t taking this serious enough. I’ve warned them a couple times, it’s up to them to protect their family.

I’m hoping our government makes swift and proactive decisions, but fear they won’t until it’s too late. Ground all flights, close the borders, enact lockdown in affected areas and close schools as needed.

I’ve prepared as best I could, starting back in January when you could see this was coming. But I’m still terrified I’m going to get this despite my best efforts.
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My contract states if the "state deems it necessary for us to close for no electricity or water, natural disaster, etc. (but not limited to) payment is due. So most are able to work at home so they will be getting paid anyway. Trump is doing things to help with this, too.
My contract says the same thing.
This isn't something I can control so I would still charge and consider this a natural disaster type thing.
twirlerzmom 10:45 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My contract says the same thing.
This isn't something I can control so I would still charge and consider this a natural disaster type thing.
But what if I don’t have something in my contract pertaining to natural disasters? Do you think it’s unfair to still charge parents? I think some of my parents could work from home so they would be getting paid. But if I have to close for more than 1 week and don’t get paid ill fall behind financially. It wouldn’t have been so bad but I just took off a week for vacation in February which I did not charge my families for. I do have in my contract that I can take 3 weeks vacation 1 of which would be paid.

Also, our Gov just declared a public health emergency in our state. We may be forced to close if more cases show up.
Firefly 10:57 AM 03-12-2020
I don’t have anything in my policies about natural disasters either and I don’t know what to do about payment should I need to close. I charge for days the kids don’t come but I don’t charge for days I’m sick or if I take a vacation. I haven’t sent any memos or anything out to parents yet and I need to but I don’t know what to tell them about payment. What do you all think is fair?
Annalee 11:07 AM 03-12-2020
I also have listed "Fee is due 52 weeks per year, no exceptions!" That would suffice, too even if you didn't mention the natural disasters.
Blackcat31 11:07 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by twirlerzmom:
But what if I don’t have something in my contract pertaining to natural disasters? Do you think it’s unfair to still charge parents? I think some of my parents could work from home so they would be getting paid. But if I have to close for more than 1 week and don’t get paid ill fall behind financially. It wouldn’t have been so bad but I just took off a week for vacation in February which I did not charge my families for. I do have in my contract that I can take 3 weeks vacation 1 of which would be paid.

Also, our Gov just declared a public health emergency in our state. We may be forced to close if more cases show up.
Yes I still think it is fair and reasonable to require parents to pay IF the state makes you shut down temporarily.

If you are well and can continue providing services I would do so, excluding those that are showing symptoms.

If you should get sick or are required to close, I would let parents know they still need to pay because there are still costs associated with child care regardless of whether children are present or not. Just like rent/mortgage payments for parents....still due whether you were home or not.

I would probably only be comfortable doing this for 2 weeks. After two weeks, I'd review the situation and decide how to proceed at that point.
Ariana 11:09 AM 03-12-2020
I sent out a little blurb to parents yesterday on my daycare’s FB page. I said I would be much more strict with my illness policy, meaning ANY flu like symptoms are going to be excluded for..not just excessive symptoms. I also said I would shut down if daycare centres are required to shut down and/or if any of my or their family members get it. I did not mention pay at all so have not decided.

My husband has severe asthma and I have elderly parents so it is not worth it to me. We are well prepared if I do not receive a pay check for a while thankfully. My husband is able to work from home so that is a relief. If not we would have to dip into savings.
Cat Herder 12:05 PM 03-12-2020
Generally, I don't charge for my closings because I work them into the front-end of my tuition rate. As such, during a forced closure, I intend to meet them half-way at 50% tuition since neither of us would have advance notice to prepare.

I think it would have to get really bad for them to shut down small family providers, though. With 6 kids, we really don't have the same statistical risks or comings and goings that large centers do.
Jupadia 01:24 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Generally, I don't charge for my closings because I work them into the front-end of my tuition rate. As such, during a forced closure, I intend to meet them half-way at 50% tuition since neither of us would have advance notice to prepare.

I think it would have to get really bad for them to shut down small family providers, though. With 6 kids, we really don't have the same statistical risks or comings and goings that large centers do.
This was what I've been thinking of telling parents if I'm forced to close they will only pay 50%. Generally I dont charge for my sick days or vacation but this dose not fall into that category.
Ariana 03:45 PM 03-12-2020
I have decided to close since schools here are all closed for 3 weeks. If my husband didn’t have asthma I would probably stay open but don’t want to take any chances.

Only one of my families will be negatively impacted but that family is part time, has family in the area and dad can work from home. Not ideal for them but hopefully doable. The other two families are off anyway.

Was really hoping it wouldn’t come to this. Time to hunker down and stay healthy everyone!
Gemma 03:47 AM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have decided to close since schools here are all closed for 3 weeks. If my husband didn’t have asthma I would probably stay open but don’t want to take any chances.

Only one of my families will be negatively impacted but that family is part time, has family in the area and dad can work from home. Not ideal for them but hopefully doable. The other two families are off anyway.

Was really hoping it wouldn’t come to this. Time to hunker down and stay healthy everyone!
I'm sitting here wondering if I should do the same, now that they closed All school in the State.
Are we allowed to make the decision to close or do we have to wait till DHS makes the call?
Ariana 11:08 AM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I'm sitting here wondering if I should do the same, now that they closed All school in the State.
Are we allowed to make the decision to close or do we have to wait till DHS makes the call?
I am in Canada so I don’t know. I would assume if you are licensed you would have to wait for an authority to tell you to close? Government run daycares here are closed but for profit daycares are open.
kidsncats 11:33 AM 03-13-2020
I care for very young kids from 3 families. All three families have at least one parent that travels frequently for their job, and this is a concern for me as my husband is a vulnerable person in regards to this virus.

I have already given them notice that I will be closing. I hope to stay open one more week, but two more positive cases of coronavirus have been identified within 20 miles of me. I won't be charging the parents while I'm closed, but I also won't be issuing refunds of deposits/holding fees. I am planning that I will be starting over when this is all said and done.
flying_babyb 06:31 PM 03-13-2020
Well wisconsin just shut down schools. Hopefully daycares are not next
Lil_Diddle 12:02 AM 03-14-2020
I’m a home provider that watches mostly teacher kids. Our school district starts spring break Monday, and is considering staying closed an additional week or two. Today I had 3 of my teacher parents ask if I was going to be closed if school closes. The parents will be home! I’m not sure what kind of work they will be doing from home, so I don’t want to judge. But I did just say, I’m not making any decisions until it gets closer and see how things are. My handbook does say that they pay from the first day of school until the last day.
Cat Herder 05:45 AM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
I’m a home provider that watches mostly teacher kids. Our school district starts spring break Monday, and is considering staying closed an additional week or two. Today I had 3 of my teacher parents ask if I was going to be closed if school closes. The parents will be home! I’m not sure what kind of work they will be doing from home, so I don’t want to judge. But I did just say, I’m not making any decisions until it gets closer and see how things are. My handbook does say that they pay from the first day of school until the last day.
All of my teacher clients will be doing their lectures and classes via skype meetings. They have to write and edit lesson plans as needed for the kids with no internet and mail or personally deliver their work to their homes. They were forced to give out their personal phone numbers. They still have to meet all the same educational requirements.

I am staying open and all of my teacher's kids were here. Our schools shut down Friday through the 27th. They are considering going through to April 10th, now.
Tags:billing, closing due to covid-19, closing due to illness, closing due to pandemic, coronavirus, illness policy, tuition - discount, tuition - pricing
Reply Up