Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Curriculum

Curriculum Post any curriculum ideas, activites or projects that wouldbe helpful to our Daycare community. What is your teaching philosophy?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Why Preschool Shouldn't Be Like Schools

I came across this article today and I really enjoyed it and wanted to share.

Why Preschool Shouldn't Be Like School
New research shows that teaching kids more and more, at ever-younger ages, may backfire.
By Alison Gopnik
Posted Wednesday, March 16, 2011, at 2:15 PM ET

To see the whole article here is the link:

http://www.slate.com/id/2288402/
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Daycare.com Member

thank you for sharing
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin View Post
I came across this article today and I really enjoyed it and wanted to share.

Why Preschool Shouldn't Be Like School
New research shows that teaching kids more and more, at ever-younger ages, may backfire.
By Alison Gopnik
Posted Wednesday, March 16, 2011, at 2:15 PM ET

To see the whole article here is the link:

http://www.slate.com/id/2288402/
So completely true. I've been saying this for years.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Love it!

I have printed it off and will be showing it to those parents I meet now and then who think I should be sitting their kids down at a desk and teaching them French!

I also include the pamphlet "Play is FUNdamental" with every contract I give out.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 AM

This is why "preschool" should be play-based, hands-on, real-life experiences rather than cookie cutter academics. That's why I do not buy pre-packaged "curriculum"

The children and the environment ARE the curriculum here
Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 AM

Yup, my philosophy exactly. The only reason I do curriculum is that it brings in clients and impresses parents. Otherwise I would have a different thing going. But even with the curriculum we have LOTS of free time. VERY important in my book!

Plus I believe that these early years should have a real basis in social development. How can children learn when they do get to school if they do not have the social skills needed to share, trade and negotiate with other children? How can they learn if they don't know how to respect the teacher and the other students and their environment?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansmom View Post
Yup, my philosophy exactly. The only reason I do curriculum is that it brings in clients and impresses parents. Otherwise I would have a different thing going. But even with the curriculum we have LOTS of free time. VERY important in my book!

Plus I believe that these early years should have a real basis in social development. How can children learn when they do get to school if they do not have the social skills needed to share, trade and negotiate with other children? How can they learn if they don't know how to respect the teacher and the other students and their environment?
One of my best friends is a kindergarten teacher. She once told me she hates getting kids who can already rattle off their ABC's, count to 100 etc....but can't sit still, can't share. can't take turns, etc etc. She ends up with a problem child,,,,,and parents who can't understand that their little Einstein is being disruptive.....

She wishes pre-school would just PREPARE kids for for kindy...not try to BE it!!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 PM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post

YES YES YES YES YES

I would just add "us" to that: the children, the environment, and US.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:30 PM
momatheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko60 View Post
One of my best friends is a kindergarten teacher. She once told me she hates getting kids who can already rattle off their ABC's, count to 100 etc....but can't sit still, can't share. can't take turns, etc etc. She ends up with a problem child,,,,,and parents who can't understand that their little Einstein is being disruptive.....

She wishes pre-school would just PREPARE kids for for kindy...not try to BE it!!
I agree with your friend.

I work in a preschool in the daycare part. When parents ask us if we feel their child should move onto kindergarten we take into account each individual child and here is what we look at. This is also what we work on EVERYDAY with the children.

1. Can your child sit still and listen?
2. Do they have social skills, eg. sharing, taking turns, etc.
3. Do they have the maturity?
4. Do they follow teacher direction?

There may be more but I can't think of it right now.

My favorite is when parents think just because little Johnny meets the deadline and is accidemically ready he is ready for Kindergarten. Or to skip Kindergarten and move right onto 1st grade.

Social skills speak so much louder than accidemics in regards to Kindergarten readiness.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko60 View Post

Totally agree with your friend. I have spent lots of time in elementary classrooms from K-4th and believe me when I say that you can tell that teachers spend more than 50% of their time on average getting the whole class to settle down and stop fighting before they can even teach anything.

Imagine if kids were taught in preschool how to sit in circle, how to share, trade, take turns, not side talk, respect each other, respect the teacher, etc.

Have any of you read the book Raising Lifelong Learners? It's gotta be my fav overall. I highly recommend! It speaks to raising kids who are naturally inquisitive and have a love for learning and exploring. If kids have that spark then the ABC's and 123's are simple.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
This is why "preschool" should be play-based, hands-on, real-life experiences rather than cookie cutter academics. That's why I do not buy pre-packaged "curriculum"

LIKE! Very well-said!

Tags
article, curriculum, preschool, preschool curriculum