Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Curriculum

Curriculum Post any curriculum ideas, activites or projects that wouldbe helpful to our Daycare community. What is your teaching philosophy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 AM
MommyMuffin's Avatar
MommyMuffin MommyMuffin is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 887
Default Why Preschool Shouldn't Be Like Schools

I came across this article today and I really enjoyed it and wanted to share.

Why Preschool Shouldn't Be Like School
New research shows that teaching kids more and more, at ever-younger ages, may backfire.
By Alison Gopnik
Posted Wednesday, March 16, 2011, at 2:15 PM ET

To see the whole article here is the link:

http://www.slate.com/id/2288402/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 AM
ninosqueridos's Avatar
ninosqueridos ninosqueridos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 419
Default

thank you for sharing
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 AM
3kidzmama's Avatar
3kidzmama 3kidzmama is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: southern USA
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin View Post
I came across this article today and I really enjoyed it and wanted to share.

Why Preschool Shouldn't Be Like School
New research shows that teaching kids more and more, at ever-younger ages, may backfire.
By Alison Gopnik
Posted Wednesday, March 16, 2011, at 2:15 PM ET

To see the whole article here is the link:

http://www.slate.com/id/2288402/
So completely true. I've been saying this for years.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,275
Default Love it!

I have printed it off and will be showing it to those parents I meet now and then who think I should be sitting their kids down at a desk and teaching them French!

I also include the pamphlet "Play is FUNdamental" with every contract I give out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

This is why "preschool" should be play-based, hands-on, real-life experiences rather than cookie cutter academics. That's why I do not buy pre-packaged "curriculum"

The children and the environment ARE the curriculum here
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Evansmom's Avatar
Evansmom Evansmom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 722
Default

Yup, my philosophy exactly. The only reason I do curriculum is that it brings in clients and impresses parents. Otherwise I would have a different thing going. But even with the curriculum we have LOTS of free time. VERY important in my book!

Plus I believe that these early years should have a real basis in social development. How can children learn when they do get to school if they do not have the social skills needed to share, trade and negotiate with other children? How can they learn if they don't know how to respect the teacher and the other students and their environment?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansmom View Post
Yup, my philosophy exactly. The only reason I do curriculum is that it brings in clients and impresses parents. Otherwise I would have a different thing going. But even with the curriculum we have LOTS of free time. VERY important in my book!

Plus I believe that these early years should have a real basis in social development. How can children learn when they do get to school if they do not have the social skills needed to share, trade and negotiate with other children? How can they learn if they don't know how to respect the teacher and the other students and their environment?
One of my best friends is a kindergarten teacher. She once told me she hates getting kids who can already rattle off their ABC's, count to 100 etc....but can't sit still, can't share. can't take turns, etc etc. She ends up with a problem child,,,,,and parents who can't understand that their little Einstein is being disruptive.....

She wishes pre-school would just PREPARE kids for for kindy...not try to BE it!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
The children and the environment ARE the curriculum here


YES YES YES YES YES

I would just add "us" to that: the children, the environment, and US.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2011, 12:30 PM
momatheart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko60 View Post
One of my best friends is a kindergarten teacher. She once told me she hates getting kids who can already rattle off their ABC's, count to 100 etc....but can't sit still, can't share. can't take turns, etc etc. She ends up with a problem child,,,,,and parents who can't understand that their little Einstein is being disruptive.....

She wishes pre-school would just PREPARE kids for for kindy...not try to BE it!!
I agree with your friend.

I work in a preschool in the daycare part. When parents ask us if we feel their child should move onto kindergarten we take into account each individual child and here is what we look at. This is also what we work on EVERYDAY with the children.

1. Can your child sit still and listen?
2. Do they have social skills, eg. sharing, taking turns, etc.
3. Do they have the maturity?
4. Do they follow teacher direction?

There may be more but I can't think of it right now.

My favorite is when parents think just because little Johnny meets the deadline and is accidemically ready he is ready for Kindergarten. Or to skip Kindergarten and move right onto 1st grade.

Social skills speak so much louder than accidemics in regards to Kindergarten readiness.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Evansmom's Avatar
Evansmom Evansmom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko60 View Post
One of my best friends is a kindergarten teacher. She once told me she hates getting kids who can already rattle off their ABC's, count to 100 etc....but can't sit still, can't share. can't take turns, etc etc. She ends up with a problem child,,,,,and parents who can't understand that their little Einstein is being disruptive.....

She wishes pre-school would just PREPARE kids for for kindy...not try to BE it!!
Totally agree with your friend. I have spent lots of time in elementary classrooms from K-4th and believe me when I say that you can tell that teachers spend more than 50% of their time on average getting the whole class to settle down and stop fighting before they can even teach anything.

Imagine if kids were taught in preschool how to sit in circle, how to share, trade, take turns, not side talk, respect each other, respect the teacher, etc.

Have any of you read the book Raising Lifelong Learners? It's gotta be my fav overall. I highly recommend! It speaks to raising kids who are naturally inquisitive and have a love for learning and exploring. If kids have that spark then the ABC's and 123's are simple.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
This is why "preschool" should be play-based, hands-on, real-life experiences rather than cookie cutter academics. That's why I do not buy pre-packaged "curriculum"

The children and the environment ARE the curriculum here
LIKE! Very well-said!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
article, curriculum, preschool, preschool curriculum

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daycare is Charging Me for Hours He's in Preschool? nikkimcc Parents and Guardians Forum 23 03-31-2021 12:42 PM
Advocate for "Real" Preschool jojosmommy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 40 06-08-2017 09:38 PM
Anyone Combine Preschool and Childcare? MsJoy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 12-02-2012 04:34 PM
Established Dayhome Adding A Pre-School Program Wigglesandgiggles Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 07-01-2012 08:33 PM
Is it a Preschool? Daycare? Both? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 03-21-2011 12:46 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:17 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming