Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm So Torn!
wdmmom 02:06 PM 12-14-2011
So my staff assistant gave me notice the Monday after Thanksgiving that she would be quitting. She said she wanted to work through the holidays and give me plenty of time to find a replacement. She said her last day will be the end of January.

I've already noticed her work ethic deteriorate and I promptly started advertising. I've had about 40 people respond to the ad of which a 5 to interview.

Candidate 1: Seemed nice, has experience in a gym daycare, I could see myself working with this girl. Downfall: She has no GED or HS diploma. I can't find anything in the DHS handbook that says the assistant has to meet any education requirements but I'm not for sure.

Candidate 2: Has in home daycare experience. She ran her own but I asked for documentable experience and since the interview, she hasn't contacted me. So, that's a no-go for me.

Candidate 3: Gave me the WOW factor! She ran her own in-home daycare. She was registered with the state so she can pass the background, she already has her CPR certificate, her mandatory reporter certificate, etc. She's asking for a $1 more an hour than I was looking to pay for. And, having ran her own daycare makes me question whether she'll like how mine is ran, will be ok with my rules, etc.

I don't have the other interviews until next Monday or Tuesday.

This search is making me sick! I'm stressed out that I won't find someone in the time I want to. I'm taking Dec. 23 - Jan. 2 off for the holidays. My original plan was to let my old staff assistant leave early and get someone new in right after the holidays and get them trained. Now I question whether I'll have enough time to do it in.

Candidate 3 has my vote but there are pros and cons to the situation.

Can anyone offer any advice?!
Tags:assistant, assistant - job description, assistant performance record
Up