Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-16-2013, 09:02 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default Do They Have To Inform Me?

I am dealing with a situation right now where a dck of mine has been out sick for several days. I have been trying to communicate with the DCF via email, phone and text what is going on with the child, but they are not telling me anything at all. I don't know what is going on. Does this child have a serious contagious illness??? did something else happen???? It would be nice to know so that I can properly inform the other families in my care as well as follow regulations if anything needs to be reported.

DCM basically said in a round about way that it is none of my business. Um ok. I then remind her of our policy that talks about open communication, especially when a child is ill. If I recall properly from a class that I took, I remember being told that they legally do not have to disclose that information to me.

I am a bit worried about this child and when they return. I don't even know what they have and if I will be able to allow them to come back.

Sorry if I am talking in circles right now, but I am feeling very frustrated. I have always had parents inform me of what is going on and always cooperate with everything...

What should I do here? Do they have to inform me of their childs illness and disclose what is going on with the child?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
care as well as follow regulations if anything needs to be reported.

DCM basically said in a round about way that it is none of my business. Um ok. I then remind her of our policy that talks about open communication, especially when a child is ill. If I recall properly from a class that I took, I remember being told that they legally do not have to disclose that information to me,
They may not have to disclose information to you but at the same time you have the right to refuse them if its in your contract.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 PM
dbslas's Avatar
dbslas dbslas is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 62
Default

if the child is out "sick" then it most definitely is your business. I would require a doctor's note upon return. I don't understand the parent saying it's not your business. Your business is children and their well-being.

Is this type of communication or lack thereof totally out of character for this family?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I am dealing with a situation right now where a dck of mine has been out sick for several days. I have been trying to communicate with the DCF via email, phone and text what is going on with the child, but they are not telling me anything at all. I don't know what is going on. Does this child have a serious contagious illness??? did something else happen???? It would be nice to know so that I can properly inform the other families in my care as well as follow regulations if anything needs to be reported.

DCM basically said in a round about way that it is none of my business. Um ok. I then remind her of our policy that talks about open communication, especially when a child is ill. If I recall properly from a class that I took, I remember being told that they legally do not have to disclose that information to me.

I am a bit worried about this child and when they return. I don't even know what they have and if I will be able to allow them to come back.

Sorry if I am talking in circles right now, but I am feeling very frustrated. I have always had parents inform me of what is going on and always cooperate with everything...

What should I do here? Do they have to inform me of their childs illness and disclose what is going on with the child?
I have it in my policies if a child has a serious contagious illness (and I have a sample list) then they need to notify me of it ASAP as soon as they find out. I'm not sure legally if I can MAKE them do it because I've never had a parent not tell me, especially if I ask.

How long has the child been out and what were the symptoms?? What info do you know such as has the child even been to a doctor?

Are the parents still paying for care (which I'm sure is your policy) or are they using sick days? How was the relationship before this? Did you send the child home sick and did they get mad about that??

If it were me, I'd email them once more and I'd say something like this:::

"Dear dcm and dcd,
I hope dck is feeling better and we sure do miss him here!! The children are all bummed and I admit I'm a little worried because I care about my dck so much!! I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you that while I know you are taking excellent care of dck so that he can get better soon, I'm required by state licensing laws to notify other parents if there is a Highly contagious or communicable illness in the daycare while keeping confidentiality as well.

Your unwillingness to communicate this with me is very concerning as open communication is a necessity so that I can care adequately for all children in care. Even a tentative return date would be awesome if that's possible"

Best wishes,
Me


If they don't respond favorably I would remind them that a two weeks paid written notice is required if they are looking for care elsewhere.

Depending on how they act after the letter I would likely give THEM two weeks notice.

I can take a lot from the kids and have more patience than Moses. But I do NOT TOLERATE any disrespect from parents.


Regardless, I'd interview or call from waiting list and be prepared either way.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Willow Willow is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,607
Default

My gut feeling is it has nothing to do with illness....maybe the family is in crisis (relationship, financial, legal etc), maybe someone hurt him and they're afraid of getting reported once you see it, maybe they're fixin to pull and are just stringing you along.

The reason isn't what matters. Although I don't need or want to know all the private details ina family's life I do need at least some explaination for absences and when a return is expected.

I don't do no shows and I don't do communication that leaves me feeling suspicious, disrespected, degraded or angry. If I felt an inkling of that I'd be blunt and honest saying "I'm worried about what's going on here and this is why."

They either respond and resync our wavelengths or they don't and I either push harder or let it and them go entirely.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-2013, 09:53 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbslas View Post
if the child is out "sick" then it most definitely is your business. I would require a doctor's note upon return. I don't understand the parent saying it's not your business. Your business is children and their well-being.

Is this type of communication or lack thereof totally out of character for this family?
I have not really had too many issue with this family. For the most part they have been really good about things. They do tend to get upset at me sometimes at first when I enforce policy on them, but the get over it and we move on.

I do know that the dcd got a new job and is under a lot of stress, but other than that I don't know anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
I have it in my policies if a child has a serious contagious illness (and I have a sample list) then they need to notify me of it ASAP as soon as they find out. I'm not sure legally if I can MAKE them do it because I've never had a parent not tell me, especially if I ask.

How long has the child been out and what were the symptoms?? What info do you know such as has the child even been to a doctor?

Are the parents still paying for care (which I'm sure is your policy) or are they using sick days? How was the relationship before this? Did you send the child home sick and did they get mad about that??

If it were me, I'd email them once more and I'd say something like this:::

"Dear dcm and dcd,
I hope dck is feeling better and we sure do miss him here!! The children are all bummed and I admit I'm a little worried because I care about my dck so much!! I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you that while I know you are taking excellent care of dck so that he can get better soon, I'm required by state licensing laws to notify other parents if there is a Highly contagious or communicable illness in the daycare while keeping confidentiality as well.

Your unwillingness to communicate this with me is very concerning as open communication is a necessity so that I can care adequately for all children in care. Even a tentative return date would be awesome if that's possible"

Best wishes,
Me


If they don't respond favorably I would remind them that a two weeks paid written notice is required if they are looking for care elsewhere.

Depending on how they act after the letter I would likely give THEM two weeks notice.

I can take a lot from the kids and have more patience than Moses. But I do NOT TOLERATE any disrespect from parents.


Regardless, I'd interview or call from waiting list and be prepared either way.
the child was sent home and the parents were a bit upset about it at first. Remember my post you don't clean well enough??? This was in regards to this family.

Unless a child is very ill, I don't give sick days or credits for them. Only one time in my 11 years I have given a sick credit because a dck was very sick in the hospital for 3 weeks and I wanted to give it.

All of my payments are paid monthly in advance, so there is no concern there....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
the child was sent home and the parents were a bit upset about it at first. Remember my post you don't clean well enough??? This was in regards to this family.

Unless a child is very ill, I don't give sick days or credits for them. Only one time in my 11 years I have given a sick credit because a dck was very sick in the hospital for 3 weeks and I wanted to give it.

All of my payments are paid monthly in advance, so there is no concern there....
Ohhhhhh I didn't realize it was this family.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-16-2013, 10:01 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
My gut feeling is it has nothing to do with illness....maybe the family is in crisis (relationship, financial, legal etc), maybe someone hurt him and they're afraid of getting reported once you see it, maybe they're fixin to pull and are just stringing you along.

The reason isn't what matters. Although I don't need or want to know all the private details ina family's life I do need at least some explaination for absences and when a return is expected.

I don't do no shows and I don't do communication that leaves me feeling suspicious, disrespected, degraded or angry. If I felt an inkling of that I'd be blunt and honest saying "I'm worried about what's going on here and this is why."

They either respond and resync our wavelengths or they don't and I either push harder or let it and them go entirely.
I don't think they are stringing me along, the family is paid up until November 15. I could be wrong. This thought also did cross my mind. I highly doubt it, but I won't ever pass the idea, anything is possible.

I am very concerned about the child, I am upset and I do feel very unimportant. I guess the way that I see it, and I know this sounds bad, but I am with that child more waking hours than they are and I am very concerned about the child. I guess I need to learn to let it go.

I also do not do no-shows, and so far to date I have only ever had it happen one time and it was actually just a few months ago.

THanks for your thoughts on this. I am feeling very frustrated. I wish I knew what was going on....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sick policy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Your Hours.... How To Inform Parents? Crazy8 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 07-31-2013 04:19 PM
Those Of You Feeling Guilty Every Time You Have To Inform Parents You Need To Take lolaland Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 03-19-2013 12:26 PM
Help Touchy Subject - How To Inform Parents juliebug Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 55 11-15-2012 07:42 AM
Do You Inform Enrolled Parents Of New Dck? spud912 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 02-18-2011 04:48 AM
How Did you Inform Parents of New Rates/Policies? sahm1225 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 11-23-2010 11:13 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:43 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming