Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default T/S% Im Doing Something Wrong?

I used MMK for my ts% and it tells me its 46%. I only had children in care 9/9-12/31 last year so this seems very wrong to me. I have children in care 10.5hr/day M-f and allow myself 2.5 hours a day to do cleaning, prep, paperwork, research, etc.

My home is 1407sq Ft. 600 are 100% daycare,200 are never daycare, and the rest are just during childcare and prep time.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Please
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default time-space%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihop View Post
I used MMK for my ts% and it tells me its 46%. I only had children in care 9/9-12/31 last year so this seems very wrong to me. I have children in care 10.5hr/day M-f and allow myself 2.5 hours a day to do cleaning, prep, paperwork, research, etc.

My home is 1407sq Ft. 600 are 100% daycare,200 are never daycare, and the rest are just during childcare and prep time.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Please
If you care for children 10.5 hours a day, 5 days a week, that's 52.5 hours per week. If you work 2.5 hours a day cleaning, etc. that's 12.5 hours a week, assuming you do this 5 days a week. Total: 65 hours a week, divided by 168 hours in a week = 38.7% time%

Space - 600 exclusive use space divided by 1,407 total space = 42.6%

607 regular use space (1,407 - 600 - 200) divided by 1,407 = 43.1% space

43.1% space x 38.7% time = 16.7%
16.7% + 42.6% = 59.3% Time-Space %

It doesn't matter that you only cared for one child for part of the year. You are dividing the total hours you worked for the months you were open by the total number of hours in the year from 9/9 til 12/31. I used a weekly number in the calculation above, but your numbers will be the same.

Let me know if you can't figure out why MM isn't calculating this the way I'm describing (I helped write the MM program on this).
Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you. It just seems so much higher then everyone else.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default time-space%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihop View Post
Thank you. It just seems so much higher then everyone else.
It's higher because you have such a large percentage of your home used exclusively for your business. That's fine, don't worry about this. Make sure you can say that it's exclusively business - never any personal use. Take pictures of the rooms so we can see that it's obviously a child care room.

Tags
mmk, time space percentage