Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charge Late Fee or Not
Ac114 10:05 AM 07-17-2018
I have a DCM that is expecting and was admitted last night to the hospital for dehydration and observation due to having extreme morning sickness. I sympathize because I had it really bad with both my boys and had to take a leave of absence from work until after my first trimester. Anyways, they pay me on Tuesday because DCG comes Tuesday through Friday. Grandma drops off this morning and says we don’t know who is picking her up today. We have a meeting and can’t miss it and DCD will be at the hospital with mom so we will text you and let you know who will be getting her. This means I will not get paid today and the only people on the list to get her is parents and grandparents. DCD also texted me what the earliest was he could drop off DCG in the morning, I open st 7 and responded as such. He has to be at work at 6:30 so I know they were trying to see if they could bring her super early and I’m not doing that. I feel kind of heartless if I add late fee but I also have bills that need paid. What would you guys do?
Cat Herder 10:08 AM 07-17-2018
"I open at 7am. Please have payment with you in the morning at the latest. Thanks!"
Josiegirl 10:23 AM 07-17-2018
I allow some leeway for emergencies like this. I probably wouldn't charge the late fee this time, But that's me.
Cat Herder 10:26 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I allow some leeway for emergencies like this. I probably wouldn't charge the late fee this time, But that's me.
Typically hospital visits can be considered emergent. This is not really that. Kiddo has two parents and an involved Gma. Not paying is simply easier. They have no problem getting her to daycare.
Blackcat31 10:32 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Typically hospital visits can be considered emergent. This is not really that. Kiddo has two parents and an involved Gma. Not paying is simply easier.
If DCD is leaving DCM's side to go to work then he can leave her side to come pay you.

I would feel differently if this was more of an "emergency"....kwim?
Blackcat31 10:34 AM 07-17-2018
My late fee is also automated so fees for late payment is outside my control. Set up this way, it eliminates any discussion about it or even a parent thinking they can ask.

I mean they can ask, but automated means automatically.
lovemykidstoo 11:18 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My late fee is also automated so fees for late payment is outside my control. Set up this way, it eliminates any discussion about it or even a parent thinking they can ask.

I mean they can ask, but automated means automatically.
I would not do a late fee if he brings it in the morning. Sounds like he has his hands full and it's not a typical situation. Anything longer than first thing in the morning though I would.

BC. maybe i missed this before, but how do you have it automated?
Blackcat31 11:25 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:

BC. maybe i missed this before, but how do you have it automated?
I just add it onto their weekly invoice by hand..... regardless of circumstances and without feeling bad about it.

I have no program or software or anything other than the ability to tell parents as well as write on the contract and in the handbook: "Late fees are automatically added and are not negotiable under any circumstances."

If that leads parents to believe they are added in any other way; that's on them.
amberrose3dg 11:31 AM 07-17-2018
Typically hospital visits can be considered emergent. This is not really that. Kiddo has two parents and an involved Gma. Not paying is simply easier. They have no problem getting her to daycare.

True. I feel bad but then again if they can get her there they can pick up on time and with payment.
Ac114 11:37 AM 07-17-2018
I just add it onto their weekly invoice by hand..... regardless of circumstances and without feeling bad about it.

I have no program or software or anything other than the ability to tell parents as well as write on the contract and in the handbook: "Late fees are automatically added and are not negotiable under any circumstances."

If that leads parents to believe they are added in any other way; that's on them.
I need to be assertive like this! I envy you 😁 I plan on adding the late fee if it’s not paid by tomorrow morning when they drop her off. Thank you guys!
LysesKids 04:24 PM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
I have a DCM that is expecting and was admitted last night to the hospital for dehydration and observation due to having extreme morning sickness. I sympathize because I had it really bad with both my boys and had to take a leave of absence from work until after my first trimester. Anyways, they pay me on Tuesday because DCG comes Tuesday through Friday. Grandma drops off this morning and says we don’t know who is picking her up today. We have a meeting and can’t miss it and DCD will be at the hospital with mom so we will text you and let you know who will be getting her. This means I will not get paid today and the only people on the list to get her is parents and grandparents. DCD also texted me what the earliest was he could drop off DCG in the morning, I open st 7 and responded as such. He has to be at work at 6:30 so I know they were trying to see if they could bring her super early and I’m not doing that. I feel kind of heartless if I add late fee but I also have bills that need paid. What would you guys do?
Personally, I would refuse care unless someone paid the fee; they can get the child to & from care, fees are due in full in this case... now had it been a car accident like my one parent had in January, different story; not the parents fault some idiot hit them and totally destroyed their car - thankfully injuries weren't too severe but baby stayed 3 hrs from here with relatives for a few days until parents recovered
Snowmom 06:31 AM 07-18-2018
I've been through this personally as well. Hospitalization and all. Dad can do nothing for her but he can take care of family life so she doesn't have to worry about it. He has his phone... he can take 2 minutes to send money via transfer to pay the bills.

He texted you- I'd text again to him today:

"I hope mom is doing better and has replenished her fluids. I've been through that as well and know how exhausting it can be. Just a reminder, payment is due today. I also accept bank transfer, PayPal and Venmo if you will not be picking up today."
amberrose3dg 07:11 AM 07-18-2018
I need to be assertive like this! I envy you 😁 I plan on adding the late fee if it’s not paid by tomorrow morning when they drop her off. Thank you guys!
Did they pay?
Ac114 07:54 AM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Did they pay?
He did this morning at drop off. Hes the type of person who can not take care of anything without his wife there to tell him how to do it. It’s weird. But she’s being released today so we will see how it plays out. She’s been verbal about wanting to be a SAHM but can’t afford it right now (but went and purchased brand new truck 2 nights ago) so we will see if this gives them the push to make it somehow work for her.
amberrose3dg 08:01 AM 07-18-2018
He did this morning at drop off. Hes the type of person who can not take care of anything without his wife there to tell him how to do it. It’s weird. But she’s being released today so we will see how it plays out. She’s been verbal about wanting to be a SAHM but can’t afford it right now (but went and purchased brand new truck 2 nights ago) so we will see if this gives them the push to make it somehow work for her.
Maybe you should be interviewing then just in-case.
Blackcat31 08:14 AM 07-18-2018
Second child?

There is a fundamental change that occurs when a family adds a second child.....

I would take amberrose3dg's advice and start advertising to fill the spot because this is where DCM's usually start behaving badly so they get termed and thus become SAHM's as they had no choice.

It's a 'behavior' many veteran providers can spot a mile away!
Ac114 10:20 AM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Maybe you should be interviewing then just in-case.
This was kind of what I was thinking. I definitely don’t think DCG and baby would come and after she has the baby will withdrawal older sibling but with the complications she’s having I think they will do it sooner than they planned. I’m going to start advertising this evening!
Cat Herder 11:01 AM 07-18-2018
Second child?

There is a fundamental change that occurs when a family adds a second child.....

I would take amberrose3dg's advice and start advertising to fill the spot because this is where DCM's usually start behaving badly so they get termed and thus become SAHM's as they had no choice.

It's a 'behavior' many veteran providers can spot a mile away!
I thought I got a whiff of it in the first post. Drama creation to force DCD's hand into agreement is a very common tactic.
Ac114 12:23 PM 07-18-2018
I thought I got a whiff of it in the first post. Drama creation to force DCD's hand into agreement is a very common tactic.
Pretty much. She “couldn’t keep anything down”

Me either. I even had Oligohydramnios from being so dehydrated from morning sickness. I was just monitored a little more closely and had extra ultra sounds but still went back to work after a few weeks off and reduced my hours.

They also haven’t taken DCG to visit mom because it could be too stressful for DCG and traumatize her and stressful for mom while she needs to rest. 🙄
Tags:backbone, late fee, late fee policy, payment collection
Reply Up