Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Perfectly Nice Family

Has anyone ever termed a perfectly nice family simply because they brought sick kids almost every week? I have 2 sisters - a 4 yo and a 6 mo. They are sick all the time. I don't mind kids coming with a cold, but these girls are just a mess. The older one coughs all through naptime unless she has benadryl. The baby - well, she's a 6 month old with an awful cold every couple of weeks who is miserable. I almost think they would do better with a nanny.

My other kids get sick, but their moms are good about keeping them home. This mom seems to think that either her job is too important or too doubtful (she's a tax accountant). She has a strong desire to do her best at work, but not her best with her littles. They come when they are miserable, and came when I had a fever Monday and Tuesday because mom just can't miss work.

Maybe I'm just venting. They are nice people, overall. The girls are sweet, and when the baby is well, she's very good. I think it is just wearing on me this week because I am so sick, too. Thanks for letting me
Old 01-09-2020, 08:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

Personally, I'm very, very strict with my illness policy.

I am that way because I have gotten deathly ill from sick children being brought to daycare. No joke- I was hospitalized for nearly two months and had to have a pic line inserted to go home and it took me a year to recover fully.

Having a fever AT ALL in the last 24 hours=home.
Chronic coughing=home.
ANY diarrhea= home.
Fever reducers=home.
Unexplained rash=home.
Not able to participate as normal= home.

Repeatedly bringing a sick child to daycare= bye bye.

Yes, I'd absolutely term for it. I also wouldn't let any symptom slide though. I don't care if they think their job is important. So is mine. Actually, mine is more important because if I can't work, neither can 12 other families.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:47 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Perfectly nice people don't dope and drop their kids. They also don't medicate them endlessly with over the counter meds instead of taking them to the doctor to solve the issue.

Dope and drop is reason for immediate termination.

Benedryl is not intended for longterm use and is dangerous when misused.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post

Yes, I'd absolutely term for it. I also wouldn't let any symptom slide though. I don't care if they think their job is important. So is mine. Actually, mine is more important because if I can't work, neither can 12 other families.
This. I also have a dd with a compromised immune system. What can be a minor cold for them can turn into a hospital stay for her, so I am very strict. I actually termed a family this summer over continuous suspected dope and drops and because they sent dck to daycare knowing he had the stomach flu then were mad that I called them
At work to pick up. My dd was sick for a week and we needed to go get IV fluids. It was horrible. All because they felt their job was more important..
Old 01-09-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Perfectly nice people don't dope and drop their kids. They also don't medicate them endlessly with over the counter meds instead of taking them to the doctor to solve the issue.

Dope and drop is reason for immediate termination.

Benedryl is not intended for longterm use and is dangerous when misused.

I would bring all of this up with the parents. Let them know you are thinking about ending care because of it. I exclude for anything outside of a slight runny nose and a slight cough. Coughing through naptime is a call for pickup. Do you give her Benedryl? I would stop doing that because that is a huge liability for you.

I have a perfectly nice family right now whose youngest has had a runny nose since September. Yesterday I told them she needs to be seen by a Dr because it is NOT normal! If their job is that important to them they can find alternate care while their kid is sick OR another caregiver that wants to be a doormat.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:20 PM
Daycare.com Member

Personally, I would term. Or if you are comfortable with reevaluating your illness policy and tightening up in certain areas. I have a family who is just like the one you describe. Brought children in sick, but given Tylenol beforehand because they are “teething” wake up from nap with a 103 fever and a croupy cough. 48 hrs later my 2 year old daughter was rushed in an ambulance and given epinephrine TWICE because she couldn’t breath. The following day another child in care had the same thing and was admitted overnight. I WAS FURIOUS! And put an end to right away. That scenario was a HUGE eye opener for me and I will no longer accept children who are sick, even if they are “teething” because they are rarely teething.

Tags
dope and drop, enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy, medical neglect