Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Week Notice Because of Late Fee!!!!!!! R U KIDDING ME!!!
Unregistered 04:03 PM 05-12-2010
So basically here's the story. I have a parent who's daughter comes to my daycare. I've never had any problems with them following my rules. So Yesterday the parent came 50 mins late to pick their daughter up. Apparently it was a misunderstanding about who was suppose to pick her up. Anyways....the mother comes and I asked her to fill out a late slip. She said how much is it. I said $50.00 (my late fee is $1.00 per minute which she knows.) suddenly she had this attitude like that was so unfair signed her name and stormed out. This morning when the father drops off he pays the $50.00 and says that the mother wants to put in her 2 week notice because she feels as if I took advantage of her. Now I'm a very fair person I've had parents come later than 50 mins and we've always worked out some type of deal or I have some parents that just suck it pay. At this point I'm VERY upset. Have ever had this happen? Or how would you handle it?
Former Teacher 04:24 PM 05-12-2010
IMO Yes you did the right thing. I would have done the same thing. However do you have it in your policies? Was this parent aware that you had a late fee?
Regardless again I believe you did the right thing. A child is in care long enough..there is not reason to be late almost an hour.
Unregistered 05:12 PM 05-12-2010
Yes its in my payment agreement, which they signed and returned. They both know my late fees and know I enforce it. The dad has been late before and paid with no problem on the spot. But because it's her its a problem?
missnikki 05:17 PM 05-12-2010
I agree, you did the right thing. I would probably have a conversation with the mom when you see her, and say, "I understand you were caught off-guard by my late policy. I would like to find a way to work this out, but I cannot remove the fee. I can tell you that the other programs in the area would charge the same rate. It is a policy because there are parents who take advantage of our services, and I am not saying that is you... Again, I'm sorry for any inconvenience, and I think we both would like to never see this happen again."
She may not like it, but you need to remind her that your business hours are set aside to provide care for your clients, and the hours outside of that are for your family and are charged at a premium.
emosks 05:47 PM 05-12-2010
If this was the first time happening I would give a warning...but after that I would have done the same thing.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:45 PM 05-12-2010
If it is in your policy and they signed a contract she should have known.

I don't charge that much for a late fee..if I did I wouldn't have any clients. Small town, jobs don't pay much around here and that's almost a whole day pay for most people around here.

I know the point is don't be late, but once in a while it happens..thankfully I don't have any family right now that is ever late...once in a while my sister in law asks if I can keep my nephew a little longer and pays me a little extra, but she always asks first. If I had a family that was always late and abusing my care, I may have to rethink my late fees..which right now are only $4/hour with 1 hour being the min. (so if they are 15 min. late, they pay an extra $4).
misol 07:50 PM 05-12-2010
Since this isn't the first time they have been late they know the policy. I think that you did the right thing - especially since they didn't have the common courtesy to call to say they were running late. I like missnikki's suggestion. If you like the family, have a conversation with the mom to see if there is something that can be worked out. How long have they been with you?
jen 07:54 PM 05-12-2010
I would let them go if thats what they want to do. If she bullies you in to forgiving the late fee who knows where that will end. Plus, and this is big to me, they have an awesome provider who their child knows and is comfortable with, but they want to uproot her over 50 bucks??? Not exactly parents of the year.
Unregistered 08:41 PM 05-12-2010
If her boss made her stay an extra 50 mins. at work would she get paid overtime? Why do people think its ok to be late and cut into family time and not pay extra for it?
QualiTcare 08:54 PM 05-12-2010
my oldest child went to daycare for four years. my youngest went for three. for part of that time i was a single mom, worked, and went to school. i was never late - ever. not once. not because of the late fee (which i did know which was also $1 per minute) but because i couldn't imagine my kid being the last one there and having to face the director when i showed up.

i can understand a mix up - kinda. maybe i'm obsessive, but if someone else was picking up my kids (including their dad) i would remind him the night before, the morning of, on lunch breaks, and an hour before pick up time. haha. i'd usually call when they were supposed to be getting picked up to make sure they were on the way to daycare, too. if i couldn't call, i'd at least text. it's really hard to have a mix up like that these days.

anyhow, there was a time when i worked at the daycare my children attended, and the director was leniant with first time late pick ups. even if they were an hour late, if they'd never been late before, she'd let it slide. i could kind of understand that, but it annoyed me in a way. i was like - wow, i'm glad i always made such an effort to never be late only to find out i would've gotten off the hook if i was. kinda like when a kid at school is bad as heII and the teacher threatens not to give them candy, but then gives them candy anyway. i always hated that. i was like dam, i behaved for nothing. i should've smacked that girl when she made me mad cus i still would've gotten candy!

it's up to you, but if they are great parents and you think it was really a one time deal - you could let it slide and make sure they know it can't ever happen again. then again, it kind of sends a message to the "really good parents" that there's really no reason to follow the rules because there's no benefit to doing so.
mismatchedsocks 04:15 AM 05-13-2010
I also charge $1 a minute. However if they call BEFORE the the time that they are scheduled to pick up I give them a break. I dont understand in the 50 minutes that they were late, that no one picked up or called when they realized the mix up. I would not refund the money, especially since now she wants to give 2 week notice, then it might happen again where she threatens with this for other things.

I would say sorry you feel it is unfair, however I have this in affect for a reason. Then move on, dont dwell on it and discuss with her daily, because its a rule, poilcy that she needs to follow
tymaboy 05:39 AM 05-13-2010
I had someone give notice due to my outrageous late fess ( which are cheaper then your) We have these cuz of parents taking advantage of us. I usualy give 1 warning then after that I charge.
kpa0627 05:43 AM 05-13-2010
I know it seems odd about rates going down but this is how they were:
ages infant-two is 125 a week
ages two-5 is 110 a week

I have now changed the rates and ages of rates to this:
ages infant-18months is 135 a week
ages 19mo-5 is 120 a week

So I did raise the going rate 10 dollars a week but since this child will be 19 months when it takes effect the rate is 120. So theirs is going from 125 to 120 because of the age change. It's only fair because that is what my new rates state and it's normal to pay less for toddler/preschool age than an infant in my area.
momofboys 05:52 AM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by kpa0627:
I know it seems odd about rates going down but this is how they were:
ages infant-two is 125 a week
ages two-5 is 110 a week

I have now changed the rates and ages of rates to this:
ages infant-18months is 135 a week
ages 19mo-5 is 120 a week

So I did raise the going rate 10 dollars a week but since this child will be 19 months when it takes effect the rate is 120. So theirs is going from 125 to 120 because of the age change. It's only fair because that is what my new rates state and it's normal to pay less for toddler/preschool age than an infant in my area.
I think you should try to compromise with the mom if you want to keep her family on at all. I would tell her you were quite surprised that you never got a call saying they would be late. Confusion over who was to pick up is NOT your problem. They screwed up royally. $50 is a bit steep, maybe you could compromise & tell her you'll split the fee in half since it was their first time. I think you said they always follow your rules otherwise. Hope it works out for you.
TGT09 06:14 AM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I think you should try to compromise with the mom if you want to keep her family on at all. I would tell her you were quite surprised that you never got a call saying they would be late. Confusion over who was to pick up is NOT your problem. They screwed up royally. $50 is a bit steep, maybe you could compromise & tell her you'll split the fee in half since it was their first time. I think you said they always follow your rules otherwise. Hope it works out for you.
This is completely what I would do as well.
momma2girls 06:32 AM 05-13-2010
I charge $5.00 per 15 min. earlier or later than contracted time. I am going to be enforcing them come the Fall for my teacher's children. They are late at least one day per week. Then they tell you that you need to open 30-40 min. early for them!!!!!!! I just had this happen with 2 families and one wanted me to close later on the same day, so I was open 10 1/2 hrs.!!!!!! I will be implementing this soon! I do have it in my contract, but families just don't really care, til you put a stop to it, and charge them the extra fees!
missnikki 07:01 AM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I charge $5.00 per 15 min. earlier or later than contracted time. I am going to be enforcing them come the Fall for my teacher's children. They are late at least one day per week. Then they tell you that you need to open 30-40 min. early for them!!!!!!! I just had this happen with 2 families and one wanted me to close later on the same day, so I was open 10 1/2 hrs.!!!!!! I will be implementing this soon! I do have it in my contract, but families just don't really care, til you put a stop to it, and charge them the extra fees!
Yes, that frustrates all of us, I'm sure!!! Ultimately, there is a delicate balance between operationg hours that work for your clients, and personal family time at your home. It is different from program to program, but the common thread is that it is a business, and there aren't too many stores on the planet that will open its doors for a late customer, nor a company that would prevent its employees from leaving without compensation. There are labor laws and liability issues that make it illegal to do so, and for very good reason.
Unregistered 07:39 AM 05-13-2010
I also charge a $1 a minute and i do not think that $50 is to high of a late fee to pay when they were almost an hour late, they signed the contract agreeing to certain hours and know what the late fee is, I would not pander to the parents at all and if she says anything i would tell her/them that the two week termination notice needs to be in writing, as soon as you get it you will intitial it and date it and that is the date that the two weeks goes from, i tell parents i will acknowledge verbal notices but everything has to be in writing. THEY were late NOT YOU! Let them take the child else where and see what happens if they continue to forget who's picking up the child and running late, stick to your policies and do not work anything out with them.
Kiddie Care
momma2girls 09:40 AM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
Yes, that frustrates all of us, I'm sure!!! Ultimately, there is a delicate balance between operationg hours that work for your clients, and personal family time at your home. It is different from program to program, but the common thread is that it is a business, and there aren't too many stores on the planet that will open its doors for a late customer, nor a company that would prevent its employees from leaving without compensation. There are labor laws and liability issues that make it illegal to do so, and for very good reason.
This is very well said!! Totally true!!!! There are many times I need to be out the door at their contracted times, and I can't because of late pickups!!!!!!!
jen 10:57 AM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
It wasn't the first time though...she mentioned that Dad had been late before but never had a problem paying the late fee.
MarinaVanessa 01:14 PM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
This is what I charge also. $1 an hour for me seems steep but if that works for you then great.

I don't believe that you shoudl refund the money. If she wants to throw a fit (because that is what she is doing) then let her. If she wants to put in her two-weeks because of something that they did against your policy then let her do it. I would talk to her first though and discuss why she thinks that it is unfair if she already knew the policy. Remind her that her own husband has been late and has been charged and has never complained about the fee. I think it's silly of her to be so late (which is not your fault) and then throw a hissy fit and take such a drastic measure as to quit your services. Seems to me like she'd be doing you a favor. If someone did this to me because of something that was out of my control and they clearly knew my policies I'd wonder what else they would make a fuss over later if another issue happened against my policies. Let us know if she actually does put in her two-weeks notice.
Unregistered 01:44 PM 05-13-2010
I gave the father the two week notice withdrawal form to be filled out and signed yesterday,today he comes back empty handed. Seriously why do parents think that the ball is always in their court?!
They need to understand that as providers we have the final say. Just because a parent my give a 2 week notice doesn't mean the provider has to honor it give two weeks. We can say this is your last week....or in some case TODAY! I'm so sick of the way parents treat us they feel like they can give your crap and you have to take it. I told them if I don't have an answer by tonight....tomorrow morning the latest then I'm going to go ahead and make an executive decision. I mean come on! Who wants to drag this into the weekend
Former Teacher 06:39 PM 05-13-2010
Our rate was $5 for first 5 mins and then 1.00 each additional min PER CHILD.

We once had a family that was ALWAYS late. 6:31..6:33 etc...we always let him slide. Finally I got so fed up with him and I told him that he was going to be charged from then on.

While he had 3 kids. Then he was picking up at 6:33..6:35 etc.. Well I only charged him for one child. It was like he didnt care. What was 5 dollars to him? It was a Friday night and I had plans. He did not get there until 7:00!!! I was SOOOO furious. I literally yelled at him. I said it was going to be 60 dollars (which I only charged him for 2 otherwise it was 90..thought that was TO harsh ) and that from then on should be late it was going to the FULL $15 increments if he was even 3 mins late.

He was late only once again at 6:34. He really was truly sorry and he finally did look remorseful. I didn't charge him. He never was late again
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 06:43 PM 05-13-2010
this was me when I was bullied around all week by the mom who wanted to send her daughter to preschool, then called the referral service and tried to bully me into providing pre k. I handed her the term papers today and have a new family starting next friday!

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I gave the father the two week notice withdrawal form to be filled out and signed yesterday,today he comes back empty handed. Seriously why do parents think that the ball is always in their court?!
They need to understand that as providers we have the final say. Just because a parent my give a 2 week notice doesn't mean the provider has to honor it give two weeks. We can say this is your last week....or in some case TODAY! I'm so sick of the way parents treat us they feel like they can give your crap and you have to take it. I told them if I don't have an answer by tonight....tomorrow morning the latest then I'm going to go ahead and make an executive decision. I mean come on! Who wants to drag this into the weekend

Former Teacher 07:23 PM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
this was me when I was bullied around all week by the mom who wanted to send her daughter to preschool, then called the referral service and tried to bully me into providing pre k. I handed her the term papers today and have a new family starting next friday!
Yippy! About time providers start fighting back!!!! I am VERY happy for you!

*hugs*
Unregistered 08:58 AM 05-14-2010
just curious, I have a set of siblings that come to dc would you charge the late fee X2
how would you work that?
misol 11:06 AM 05-14-2010
just curious, I have a set of siblings that come to dc would you charge the late fee X2
how would you work that?
Late fees should be "per child" so yes, multiply it by two.
Daycare Mommy 11:30 AM 05-14-2010
how would you work that?
I only do the late fee 1 time between the siblings. The way my late fee is set up it's enough to make it worth my while to work after hours on only 1 late fee whereas my datime rate ends up being $2.50/hr/kid. I wouldn't be able to charge that and watch just one kid. Now if they're late, I charge $8/hr if they call me to let me know what's going on AND I don't have to be somewhere. No call/no show at pick up time or if I have plans that are effected it is $20/hr. But you charge even more (if you are the OP?) Honestly, at $60 per hour I don't see the need to double it. But then some parents are harder to get through to than others. I'd say use your best judgement on this with the families that you have.
Unregistered 05:39 PM 05-15-2010
I think you did the right thing, however, they also need to know exactly how lenient you were. This happened to me a couple months ago. At drop off the dad reiterated that he would be here at 4pm to pick up his 2 children. My husband was standing right there and heard everything. I had asked 2-3 times to be sure it would be 4pm (they had been 15 mins late earlier in the week). 4pm came and went, 4:30 came and went. By 5pm, I called the parents house, talked to the 15 & 16 yr old sisters (family lived a couple blocks away and I had written permission to release to the 15 & 16 yr old sisters). The 15 & 16 yr old said they did not know where mom & dad were. I explained that they were late and someone had to get here immediately to pick up the children. 5:30 comes and goes. By 6pm, I called the house again and got the same response, so I demanded that the 15 & 16 yr olds get here immediately to pick up the children. When I got off the phone, I called DHS and reported the parents. They were over 2 hours late and no one knew where they were. The sisters showed up at 6:30pm and the parents finally called at 7:30 to say they were - get this - at their lawyers office for that whole time and that lawyers like to talk and talk! (FYI - I went to law school, quit in my 2nd yr to be a SAHM). Last I knew lawyers had phones in their offices. Too late.
Leaving your children in daycare for more than a half hour past the scheduled pick up time, without any notice to the provider - that's ABANDONMENT!! It is neglect. We are mandated reporters of abuse and neglect.
I can understand 10, 15, maybe even 20 minutes late. But in this day and age, there is always a way to contact - email, text, call, etc. The only excuse I accept is life or death situations. Anything else is just bs and abuse of the daycare provider.
So you might want to explain to this family that you are a mandated reporter and that you could very well have reported the "abandonment" to the authorities. As a parent, I'd gladly deal with a $50 fee than deal with DHS investigating me for neglect!! They should be thrilled that you didn't report them.

Just my opinion.
Daycare Mommy 07:08 AM 05-16-2010
That's really rough imo. Stuff happens. I'll stick with late fees and save the reporting the parents for abandonment when I believe they may have actually abandoned their children. Over 30 minutes is inconsiderate and may be very inconvenient for us, but late fees and termination do the job just fine.

Now I had a father drop his sons off once in the afternoon and say I'll be back tonight after a business dinner. He didn't come back until a day and a half later. He was one of my first jobs, so I didn't know what to do and just sat there and worried, but knowing what I know now I would've started with a call to the police/hospitals to try to figure out what happened to him and then yes reported him if I could not find him. 30 minutes to an hour late though? No way. Rude yes. Abandonment no.

And letting them know you could report them for abandonment isn't likely to build a good rapport either. And if they decide to return the favor? Have you ever had SS called on you without a legitimate reason? These are NOT people you should be reporting to lightly. They can make a family's life a living hell, not just the parents but the children as well. Not all of them are good people. Speaking from experience there. I back up my own policies without leaning on threatening to call the "authorities" on them.
jen 07:44 AM 05-16-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
That's really rough imo. Stuff happens. I'll stick with late fees and save the reporting the parents for abandonment when I believe they may have actually abandoned their children. Over 30 minutes is inconsiderate and may be very inconvenient for us, but late fees and termination do the job just fine.

Now I had a father drop his sons off once in the afternoon and say I'll be back tonight after a business dinner. He didn't come back until a day and a half later. He was one of my first jobs, so I didn't know what to do and just sat there and worried, but knowing what I know now I would've started with a call to the police/hospitals to try to figure out what happened to him and then yes reported him if I could not find him. 30 minutes to an hour late though? No way. Rude yes. Abandonment no.

And letting them know you could report them for abandonment isn't likely to build a good rapport either. And if they decide to return the favor? Have you ever had SS called on you without a legitimate reason? These are NOT people you should be reporting to lightly. They can make a family's life a living hell, not just the parents but the children as well. Not all of them are good people. Speaking from experience there. I back up my own policies without leaning on threatening to call the "authorities" on them.
I completely hear what you are saying and I can't say I would be likely to contact the authorities either...however, when my son went to a center they had the same policy. $1 per minute up to 60 minutes, then they called the sheriff.
Former Teacher 08:02 AM 05-16-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
I completely hear what you are saying and I can't say I would be likely to contact the authorities either...however, when my son went to a center they had the same policy. $1 per minute up to 60 minutes, then they called the sheriff.
Yes that's how it was for us. Depending on the parent though. Like that parent that I just spoke of, I would have waited longer than the 30 mins because he had a problem with lateness. However any other parent yes I would have done the same..meaning calling the police.
Unregistered 08:47 AM 05-16-2010
It may seem tough, but I have run into this problem a lot (late - but I have never reported before) with many families. Plus, the parent I called on was extremely late. The children only got picked up 2.5 hrs later because I DEMANDED that the older siblings come immediately. Who knows when the parents would have shown up if I hadn't demanded that the teenage siblings come immediately?! Plus, the parents didn't contact me until 3.5 hours after the scheduled pick up time. It was soooo long that I actually thought I may have to keep the children overnight, which I do not offer.

Plus, after talking with CPS and DHS, they gave me the impression that I had waited too long to report it and should have reported it sooner. So, I am not putting my license in jeopardy for not reporting it if it happens again (with someone else, because this family finally terminated a month after this).

Again I come back to - mandated reporter. As I have been trained, it is my obligation to report "suspected" abuse or neglect, not to determine whether there is actual abuse or neglect.

Also, I was worried that harm may have come to the parents, so calling the authorities was my way of getting them involved to see if the parents were ok and start making plans on what to do with the children if the parents were not ok.

And, I wasn't saying that the person whose client was 30 minutes late should have called the authorities, but she could remind the parents that there is a point when the authorities do need to be called and that a late fee is definitely the lesser of two evils.
HeatherB 10:39 AM 05-16-2010
If you seroiusly want to try to keep them.. I would compromise a little on the fee BUT address that it will NOT be compromised again.

I also love what MISSNIKKI said!
Tags:2 week notice, late fee, notice
Reply Up