Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Will This Cold Snap Ever End?
mickey2 02:14 PM 01-22-2011
-48 with the windchill here overnight. Not good! I had to go out today to get supplies for Monday and truck would not start! Not looking forward to having to go out tomorrow!! Even worse than today!

Stay warm everyone!
DCMomOf3 02:33 PM 01-22-2011
Here in Wisconsin it's supposed to warm up a bit on Monday, like high of 22. I can't wait!
melissa ann 07:21 AM 01-23-2011
Right now it's 17 with a wind chill of 4. The temp for overnight tonight is supposed to be 0-4above, with a high of 21 for tomrrow. I'm totally fed up with cold temp. No offense, Children First, but you can keep your cold temp up with you.
marniewon 07:25 AM 01-23-2011
Right now in MI it's 1 degree. When I woke up it was -11. That was straight temp, not including windchill. Even the dog doesn't want to go out!!
lvt77 08:02 AM 01-23-2011
holy cow !!!!!!!!!!! what -48????????? Really is that a typo?

Sorry I have from Ca and I think the coldest I have experienced one time was about 33 degrees on the beach................

I guess I should really stop complaining when I wake up and its 61 in the house...

WOW
mickey2 10:01 AM 01-23-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:

Sorry I have from Ca and I think the coldest I have experienced one time was about 33 degrees on the beach................

I guess I should really stop complaining when I wake up and its 61 in the house...

WOW
Nope no typo!!! It was -48 degree Celsius which converts to -54.4 degrees Fahrenheit

It is COLD!
Blackcat31 05:19 PM 01-23-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:

WOW
Ha Ha...the town just 30 minutes north of me registered -42 F the other day. We were at -33 F. Actual temps NOT INCLUDING wind chill. You just get used to it. We went on a family trip down south one year and my kids swam in the outdoor pool and had a blast...it was like 45 degrees. The locals thought we were nuts...I just said Nope,we're from up north.
kendallina 05:49 PM 01-23-2011
Going to be 34 degrees here tomorrow! Can't wait!
SilverSabre25 07:27 PM 01-23-2011
yikes! what part of canada are you in?!?
DBug 03:00 AM 01-24-2011
Wow, we're at -28 C here, Ottawa is around -40 C, and I thought that was bad!

Luckily we have a day off school today, so I don't need to drag all of the little ones outside to the bus stop. They say it'll warm up tomorrow ...
countrymom 05:29 AM 01-24-2011
just walking across the street was enough for me. I think its indoor recesses again for my kids, luckily I packed extra food.
mickey2 08:58 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
yikes! what part of canada are you in?!?
I am in a northern community in Northern Ontario Canada
It is not so bad today unless you are out in the open it was -29C this am The wind and blowing snow was brutal
Now it is -17 but feels like -24C with the windchill
SilverSabre25 09:31 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
I am in a northern community in Northern Ontario Canada
It is not so bad today unless you are out in the open it was -29C this am The wind and blowing snow was brutal
Now it is -17 but feels like -24C with the windchill
I figured it had to be pretty far north--that's REALLY cold! I think it's chilly enough when I visit my dad and stepmom in southern ontario. They live near Lake Erie, really close to Niagara Falls.
VTMom 09:52 AM 01-24-2011
We're -5' to a whopping +5' for today's temp (without windchill)! We're staying inside today! I used blue painter's tape to make a "balance beam" and a hopscotch court on my floor to get some energy out!!! Can't wait until we warm up tomorrow and get outside again.
ddnanny13 01:04 PM 01-24-2011
I think it's a little funny how all of us from the colder states think the 20's are something to get excited about! Everyone on the coast must think we are all nuts for continuing to reside in the arctic freeze! hahaha
Blackcat31 01:32 PM 01-24-2011
Heat wave here today...I think we got to 14 F above with a -1 F wind chill.....the kids played outside all afternoon. Maybe tomorrow we will get a few rays of sunshine too....
DBug 02:18 PM 01-24-2011
Well, we're now dealing with no heat.

There some issue with the gas company and our whole town has no heat (except for those with wood stoves, of course!). Since we have no other heat source in our house, I'm thinking I may need to think about closing tomorrow. Not looking forward to losing out on a day's pay, but I can't really stay open when it's so cold outside and there's no heat inside .
mickey2 05:21 PM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
Well, we're now dealing with no heat.

There some issue with the gas company and our whole town has no heat (except for those with wood stoves, of course!). Since we have no other heat source in our house, I'm thinking I may need to think about closing tomorrow. Not looking forward to losing out on a day's pay, but I can't really stay open when it's so cold outside and there's no heat inside .

I am so sorry to hear this! :-( Where exactly are you? We have a woodstove in our basement and burn wood all winter to help save on our heating bill, but we have this because of where we live. Power often goes out due to storms, cold etc. I would still have to close for the day or however long it would take to get heat back though as our heat source would not do a thorough enough job of heating the entire home. I hope this get resolved quickly for you. *hugs*
DBug 02:29 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
I am so sorry to hear this! :-( Where exactly are you? We have a woodstove in our basement and burn wood all winter to help save on our heating bill, but we have this because of where we live. Power often goes out due to storms, cold etc. I would still have to close for the day or however long it would take to get heat back though as our heat source would not do a thorough enough job of heating the entire home. I hope this get resolved quickly for you. *hugs*
Thanks!!

We're just outside of Barrie, Ontario. It was really cold yesterday, but warmed up in the evening to about -12C. But luckily they managed to get the gas lines fixed overnight, so we have a nice warm house again . It was a chilly night, but I'm open for business today!

It's times like this when I wish we could have some sort of woodstove. We're in a townhouse, so I'm not sure how the zoning works for that sort of thing. An electric fireplace is an option, but wouldn't help if the power went down. I'm sure I won't be the only one in town looking for options after this fiasco
Tags:cold weather
Reply Up