Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breakfast Ideas Please
SandeeAR 08:10 AM 03-15-2011
I'm running out of Breakfast ideas. I feel like I'm serving the same things over and over. My main eaters are 15mos and 11 mos., both totally on table foods. 11 mo, does still eat baby cereal with fruit on the days I have oatmeal, she can't self feed with a spoon yet.

What are some of the things YOU serve for breakfast?
Jewels 08:19 AM 03-15-2011
I serve the same for breakfast every week, I just don't really change it.
Mondays - Oatmeal or malt o meal
Tuesdasy- Waffles
Wednesdays- scrambled eggs, toast
thursdays- Oatmeal or malt-o-meal
Fridays- homemade banana bread, or pumpkin or something, or cereal if I don't get something cooked.

I'm big on hot breakfasts, and I think oatmeals and such are so hearty and filling, I make sure I switch up lunches, but breakfasts I don't know, sometimes I feel like I should really do something different, but then I think that its all fairly healthy so why change it.
youretooloud 08:22 AM 03-15-2011
A few times a week I make muffins. I use the Jiffy oatmeal muffin mix, and instead of the other ingredients, I put 1/2 can pumpkin and one egg, then mix it... throw it in blobs onto the cookie sheet and bake. So, really, they are more like soft cookies.

It seems to be their favorite, and it's easy for me.
Symphony 08:26 AM 03-15-2011
Cereal, pancakes, french toast, eggs, waffles, toast, muffins/breads, cream of wheat, and oatmeal.

The favorites here are definitely french toast and pancakes. Only two of the kids (one is mine) will eat oatmeal, but I still offer it once a week.
jen 08:30 AM 03-15-2011
I could use some breakfast ideas myself...does anyone have a recipe for a healthy breakfast cookie?
MyAngels 08:35 AM 03-15-2011
I do most of the above, plus my kids like cinnamon swirl and raisin bread toasted, and bagels, which I serve with a fruit on the side.
GretasLittleFriends 08:47 AM 03-15-2011
It's not very often that I serve older dck's breakfast. I usually don't have them that early in the morning. My 8 mo old eats some form of baby cereal (usually oatmeal) and a fruit, and about 4 oz or so of formula.

If I have older kids they'll eat anything from the following (depending on how the morning is going):

Cereal & Milk, Juice, Oatmeal, Toast, English Muffin, Fruit (Canned or Fresh), Applesauce, Pancakes (Usually do HUGE batch then freeze some), Tortilla with scrambled egg and cheese or fruit or peanut butter, or if we have it some from of homemade bread.
dEHmom 09:31 AM 03-15-2011
I am trying this....not sure it'll work EVERYDAY but the days it doesn't, I assume I'd just whip something up for lunch, breakfast or whatever.

Sunday's supper = Mondays lunch

Monday: (these are just example meals not actual servings or can be changed up whatever)

Breakfast = Oatmeal w/ fruit
Lunch= Last nights Lasagna

Monday's supper = Tuesdays Lunch etc etc

OR

Monday's Lunch = Tuesdays Breakfast IE pancakes for lunch monday = pancakes for breakfast tuesday

some of my meal ideas:
english muffins with homemade jam or applesauce on side, fruit on side, or something to go with it.
cereals (most have been mentioned)
oatmeal
scrambled eggs w/ cheese & bacon, toast, or something else.
fruit egg sandwiches
pancakes
waffles

I like, especially with the littles, is to basically do skillets. Just mix everything together in one bowl. Sloppy I know, but it helps get some kids to eat some of the other stuff and just get used to the flavors.
countrymom 09:35 AM 03-15-2011
how about,
raisin toast
toast
oatmeal
cereal
bagel
cinnimon rolls (our favorite right out of the oven)
muffins
breads
waffles
pancakes
french toast

I believe in that a good breakfast will carry you throughout the day, thats why I serve it. I can't belive how many times I hear "my kid is not a breakfast person" I understand not wanting to eat as soon as they wake up, but kids need to eat breakfast.
SunflowerMama 10:25 AM 03-15-2011
Just last week I moved my breakfast up a bit and have started making it more filling and its really been helping them make it to lunch. Some of the things I've served over the last week.

Homemade waffles, eggs, turkey sausage, fruit
Homemade pancakes, yogurt and fruit
Oatmeal muffins, eggs w/spinach and fruit smoothie
Crockpot oatmeal w/fruit
Breakfat burrito with homemade tortillas (eggs, turkey bacon, cheese, spinach, salsa)
French toast, homemade hashbrowns fruit and yogurt
Michael 02:46 PM 03-15-2011
Some other ideas: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27626
snbauser 03:35 PM 03-15-2011
Ours are:
pancakes
french toast sticks
waffles
bagels
english muffins
monkey bread (made with pillsbury biscuits, cinnamon, and brown sugar)
cinnamon raisin toast
blueberry muffins

off course served with a fruit.

I wish I could do homemade but even though I am out of my home, because I am licensed as a center we are not allowed to fry anything. This includes pancakes, waffles, etc so I have to by the frozen ones to serve.
ammama 03:54 PM 03-15-2011
We have hot breakfast's most days too. I love hot cereal - oatmeal, boiled millet, cream of wheat, Red River (hot 7 whole grain cereal, looks like birdseed). We also have pancakes, french toast, scrambled eggs, egg in a hole. I always serve some kind of fruit with breakfast too.

I think their favorite breakfast is apple crisp. I make it with no sugar in with the apples (but sometimes include frozen blueberries etc) and use an oatmeal/butter/small amount of sugar crumble topping. If the apples are very tart, i'll pour a bit of maple syrup over their bowl. I sometimes pour some cream on top, if I have any around.
SilverSabre25 04:32 PM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I wish I could do homemade but even though I am out of my home, because I am licensed as a center we are not allowed to fry anything. This includes pancakes, waffles, etc so I have to by the frozen ones to serve.
What?! You can't fry things? Cooking it on a griddle or in a waffle iron counts as frying? WHY? I'm guessing you can't have grilled cheese either. That is so weird. Man, I'm glad I don't have to be licensed in my state.

It wouldn't work to make them ahead and microwave/toast them?

i'm guessing you can't make stir fry for lunch? Or fried rice? What about scrambled eggs? I'm just trying to figure out this rather weird sounding regulation...
nannyde 05:53 PM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Ours are:
pancakes
french toast sticks
waffles
bagels
english muffins
monkey bread (made with pillsbury biscuits, cinnamon, and brown sugar)
cinnamon raisin toast
blueberry muffins

off course served with a fruit.

My kids couldn't LIVE without my tart cherry seven grain pancakes with maple syrup and butter. YIKES. I make them up in advance though. Can you do that? Make them up and just heat and serve. They are easy to freeze.
nannyde 05:55 PM 03-15-2011
We love hot cereal, muffins, breads and pancakes with pureed or diced fruit in them. The hot cereal is super easy. Just soak it the night before and nuke in the morning. Yummy.
snbauser 06:43 PM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
What?! You can't fry things? Cooking it on a griddle or in a waffle iron counts as frying? WHY? I'm guessing you can't have grilled cheese either. That is so weird. Man, I'm glad I don't have to be licensed in my state.

It wouldn't work to make them ahead and microwave/toast them?

i'm guessing you can't make stir fry for lunch? Or fried rice? What about scrambled eggs? I'm just trying to figure out this rather weird sounding regulation...
Center regulations require a commercial range exhaust system in order to fry. They run about $2K. Yes, a griddle or waffle iron counts as frying. Grilled cheese counts too as does everything else you listed. And we can not make ahead as it would be considered a "leftover" and we aren't allowed to serve it. These are the same rules our schools have to follow. Grilled cheese we still make by toasting the bread, adding the cheese, and microwaving it for about 30 sec.

Remember though that even though I operate out of my home, I am licensed as a center. These are Health and Sanitation rules and not licensing rules. If I was still licensed as Family Child Care, I would not be subject to these rules.
SandeeAR 05:33 AM 03-16-2011
Thanks for all the replies. Please keep them coming. I have gained many new ideas, I hope some of you have too.

One I did not see, that I serve that my kids dearly love are

Toaster Strudels I cut them into bite sizes for my under 18 mos.
dEHmom 05:47 AM 03-16-2011
QUESTION!!!!!

When do you start giving kids eggs?????? I know the ages vary greatly. Mine always ate eggs from like 6 months. I know there are studies that say eggs are fine at any age, as long as not likely to be allergic and to introduce the yolks first because it's the whites that contain allergens.

But mom said dcb hasn't had eggs before (directly, but in baking he has), because they aren't big egg eaters. But she didn't mind if I tried. But I told her no, not until she's tried them a few times first. i don't want to be dealing with it should there be an allergy, ykwim?
SandeeAR 06:41 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
QUESTION!!!!!

When do you start giving kids eggs?????? I know the ages vary greatly. Mine always ate eggs from like 6 months. I know there are studies that say eggs are fine at any age, as long as not likely to be allergic and to introduce the yolks first because it's the whites that contain allergens.

But mom said dcb hasn't had eggs before (directly, but in baking he has), because they aren't big egg eaters. But she didn't mind if I tried. But I told her no, not until she's tried them a few times first. i don't want to be dealing with it should there be an allergy, ykwim?
I don't give them until the parents have given them a couple of times. Same with peanut butter and chocolate treats.
dEHmom 06:47 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I don't give them until the parents have given them a couple of times. Same with peanut butter and chocolate treats.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I won't do the peanut butter until I know they've had it at least 5 times, but then I read a post a while back about the allergy, so I will say more like 20 times at home. If mom wants to send pb fine, but I'm not going to be the one assuming I can make a pb j
Tags:breakfast, breakfast - menu
Reply Up