Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas For Babies And Going Outside?
TheGoodLife 12:03 PM 02-13-2013
So I'm a newer home daycare provider and I haven't had to worry about it until now, but what do people do during outside time with younger babies? I have two 6 month olds (1 is mine) and now that they are crawling, I'm unsure what to do with them while I take the older kids out. They would move off the blanket I used when they were younger, but I don't have enough baby swings to put them in. I'm just excited to be able to go outside and not be cooped up all day. Maybe a pack 'n play with toys in the yard?
Thanks in advance
blandino 12:08 PM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
So I'm a newer home daycare provider and I haven't had to worry about it until now, but what do people do during outside time with younger babies? I have two 6 month olds (1 is mine) and now that they are crawling, I'm unsure what to do with them while I take the older kids out. They would move off the blanket I used when they were younger, but I don't have enough baby swings to put them in. I'm just excited to be able to go outside and not be cooped up all day. Maybe a pack 'n play with toys in the yard?
Thanks in advance
A super yard, with a blanket down would be a good idea. Sometimes I drag exersaucers outside (when I feel energetic enough) .

I would say a super yard or pack and play are your best bets...
Oneluckymom 12:09 PM 02-13-2013
Here are a few suggestions:

A couple of pack n plays with toys.

A large play yard for both of them to play in with toys of course.

A double stroller for trips around the yard.

If they are crawling...try using long and thick (winter boot kind) mens socks and this will keep there legs clean (and warm too)

* In my experience of doing this by my self...when they are that young I like to have something there to quickly put the babies in...just in case I have a boo boo to treat and I can't have my eyes on the babies at the moment.

Good luck.
DCBlessings27 01:34 PM 02-13-2013
I have always used an exersaucer to keep the infants occupied. I got a superyard this summer though, so I'll likely use it and a blanket.
SilverSabre25 01:48 PM 02-13-2013
fleece full body snowsuit. Even when there's not snow. Crawl away, feet and hands are covered, keeps 'em warm and mostly dry unless there are puddles.
Evansmom 03:07 PM 02-13-2013
I used to push mine around the yard in a stroller. They liked it and I got a little exercise . I probably looked like a dork walking in a circle around the perimeter of my back yard but I don't care!
MamaBearCanada 06:22 PM 02-13-2013
I used a very large (empty!) kids wading pool. I put a blanket down on the bottom. I put toys books etc in there. They had freedom to move but were somewhat contained. I have also used pack & plays in the shade for them to play/nap and the stroller if we were walking somewhere.
MNMommy2 02:55 PM 02-28-2013
What about in winter? I have my own dd who is just over one and a 4 month old pt baby.We have gone out with him here occasionally, but he hates it. He hates his snowsuit and so do I, it is so slippery! So I am trying to hold him while chasing down my little one and it is not easy. I almost had to drag my own back down the sidewalk. Should I just put him in a stroller? For some reason I feel like I shouldn't but he is so little, it's not like he can do anything else.

For some reason, all of a sudden, one of the dcm is so concerned about whether or not we are going outside. Um, yeah, I try but it is not easy. When the pt is no here we go out twice a day, when he is here, we don't always make it. One more thing for me to feel pressure about, I guess. A lot of times he will nap, then my dd, then he will sometimes fall asleep again for a little bit.

We are technically allowed to go outside when they are sleeping if we bring a monitor but I do not like that. I like to do physical checks VERY frequently. Anyway... stroller?
Cat Herder 04:31 PM 02-28-2013
I use the wading pools set up for the particular infants age. Stacking toys, ball pit balls, silk scarves or blocks are the typical choices.

I also put up a infant swing set. It has the infant seats with 5 point harnesses and gives them a perfect view of all the action. The playground swings are the only infant restraint equipment I own, so they love them.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:12 PM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by MNMommy2:
What about in winter? I have my own dd who is just over one and a 4 month old pt baby.We have gone out with him here occasionally, but he hates it. He hates his snowsuit and so do I, it is so slippery! So I am trying to hold him while chasing down my little one and it is not easy. I almost had to drag my own back down the sidewalk. Should I just put him in a stroller? For some reason I feel like I shouldn't but he is so little, it's not like he can do anything else.
I second the vote for fleece snow suits. Layered up with wool underneath.

My solution when I had 2 babies at once was usually to put the smallest in a fleece sling, covered by a poncho (very holey design; good for breathing through but still staying warm). The crawling baby crawled in the snow, played w/sandbox-type toys, was pulled by bigger kids in a baby sled, or napped. I often did baby's naps outside. Winter naps were a) in the sling, b) on a blow-up sled covered by a blanket, or c) in a pack-n-play set up right on top of the snow.
jenn 06:10 PM 02-28-2013
I have an exersaucer that stays outside, but mainly use it for non crawlers. For the crawlers, I have a play yard with foam interlocking pads on the bottom. I put age appropriate toys in there.
Sunchimes 06:11 PM 02-28-2013
I have a baby 13 mo old. He is crawling and pulling up but not walking yet. My problem is keeping things out of his mouth. I tried putting socks on his hands as some suggested, and it worked for a few weeks. Now, his pincer grasp has improved and he has figured out how to grab things through the socks. And everything he touches goes straight to his mouth. I can't play with the others because of the constant attention he requires. Moving is so new to him that I hate to put him in a pack and play, it seems mean, but none of us are having any fun right now. Thanks for any suggestions.
MNMommy2 07:01 PM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
I have an exersaucer that stays outside, but mainly use it for non crawlers. For the crawlers, I have a play yard with foam interlocking pads on the bottom. I put age appropriate toys in there.
In the winter? Or is this for the op?
Reply Up