Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Kid? Opinions Please!!
Kidsnest 03:23 PM 07-02-2014
Ok I have a little girl in my care that just turned a year old. Yesterday I noticed she started coughing and sneezing a little but no big deal. This morning when her mom dropped her off she mentioned that they slept with the windows open last night and she has now been coughing a little but she's sure it's just allergies. The next 45 minutes the child hacked nonstop and sneezed constantly, snot strung down to her chin every time. She's at the age where she can't cover her mouth and she puts everything in her mouth so there's no way to try to minimize the spread of germs. I asked her mom to come get her. She came and got her but mentioned several times she thinks it's allergies. I got a call about 2 hours later that she wanted to bring her back to daycare. She said she had a dr note saying it's allergies and that she can come to daycare. I couldn't really say no since she had a note but I told her I got to thinking and she had started coughing and sneezing yesterday before she slept with the windows open. Her mom just said her whole family has allergies so she's pretty familiar with it. I asked her if the dr checked her for anything else and she said ya he looked at her ears and listened to her lungs and looked at her nasal discharge but didn't feel the need to test it. I just don't think allergies come on suddenly like that and the window explanation doesn't make since since I noticed it yesterday. Am I over analyzing? I know there's probably not much I can do since she has a dr note just wanted to get opinions. This mom brought her little girl about a month ago when she was sick claiming she was fine at home but when she was at my daycare she hacked all day. Every morning she claimed she hadn't coughed at all at home. I finally took a video of her coughing until she vomited to prove it and had her mom come get her. Then all the kids in the daycare ended up with parainfluenza because she wouldn't just keep her sick kid home to begin with. I'm just frustrated and irritated. Opinions? Advice?
midaycare 03:47 PM 07-02-2014
Hmmmm ... allergies can be pretty darn nasty. I had 2 with really severe allergies in my care not too long ago. One had breathing attacks to the point where I almost called 911.

It really may be just allergies, but if the child can not participate in activities, then the dcm or dcd need to come get her. If the dck can still participate, and there is a doctor's note, I would take her back.
nannyde 04:08 PM 07-02-2014
You need a diagnosis of WHAT the child is allergic to. You may have that allergy in your home.

I think she is lying. I can't imagine a doc diagnosing allergies on a kid that is too young to be tested.

Did she give you the note? Ask her to text you a copy.

Read my blog on Doc notes. I have two of them.

If they can't tell you WHAT exactly the child is allergic to its unsafe to have her in your home. She could die on your watch having an allergic reaction to something you expose her to not knowing she is allergic to it.
Kidsnest 04:09 PM 07-02-2014
Can allergies come on that quickly though? I thought we were in the middle of allergy season? Wouldn't this have been going on and not just start randomly yesterday? Maybe they can? I just don't know??
Kidsnest 04:09 PM 07-02-2014
She did give me a note. All it says is that the child can return to daycare. They didn't so any testing.
midaycare 07:01 PM 07-02-2014
Originally Posted by Kidsnest:
Can allergies come on that quickly though? I thought we were in the middle of allergy season? Wouldn't this have been going on and not just start randomly yesterday? Maybe they can? I just don't know??
It depends on what dcg is allergic to. Some things don't come out until the middle of the season. Or it won't bother someone until the middle of a season.
midaycare 07:04 PM 07-02-2014
She did give me a note. All it says is that the child can return to daycare. They didn't so any testing.
I second nannyde - find out what she is allergic to. At least I knew with my 2. They were allergic to almost everything (poor dears) but at least I knew. My daycare was not a good fit for them, as much as the parents wanted to make it work.
nannyde 08:34 PM 07-02-2014
Why Sick Kids Should “NOT” Be Allowed at DaycareDaycare.com Presents
https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/why-...at-daycare.htm

See this is a perfect example of how a parent uses a dr to get their way. Please read this and REQUIRE a diagnosis and a specific list of what the child is allergic to. She is lying to you.
TickleMonster 10:12 PM 07-02-2014
Allergies to things like pollen and outdoor pollution can come and go randomly. I never had allergies to these things as a kid but recently developed this problem in the past year or so. Some days my sneezing is out of control and the next there is no problem at all. Yes having the window open all night could have irritated her already sore throat. Do you medicate kids in your care? If so, have you asked mom about meds like bendryl or clarityn that they could bring for you to administer? Thats what we do here. Many of our dck deal with allergies. We also ask dcf to provide plenty of kleenex. One dcm was nice and even brought me Lysol! Did the doc prescribe an allergy medicine for the child? All in all, it is your decision if you want the child in your care and whether or not it would be managable for you.
Meyou 01:01 AM 07-03-2014
Allergies CAN come on that fast. However, it doesn't matter IMO. This little girl needs to go home and stay home because she has symptoms that are too severe to be in daycare.

I also agree with the others that said you need to know WHAT she is allergic to or it is a liability to have her in your home. Put this back on Mom. She wants it to be allergies....let it be allergies but don't let the child return until Mom can tell you what she is allergic to so you can take measures to prevent such a severe attack again.
NightOwl 04:50 AM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Why Sick Kids Should “NOT” Be Allowed at DaycareDaycare.com Presents
https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/why-...at-daycare.htm

See this is a perfect example of how a parent uses a dr to get their way. Please read this and REQUIRE a diagnosis and a specific list of what the child is allergic to. She is lying to you.
I was thinking this exactly! That Dr thread is still fresh in my mind. This mom worked the system.
debbiedoeszip 05:07 AM 07-03-2014
It could be allergies, or even a summer cold. Either way I'd allow the child to stay (so long as there is no fever).

FWIW, I have seasonal allergies. I have good days and bad days, depending on what plant/tree is currently releasing pollen, and bad days can come on suddenly.
hope 05:34 AM 07-03-2014
You run your own business. Your house, your rules, your business. Doctors do not call the shots. If a child is so sick that they need one on one care then they should be excluded from group care for the day. This mom used the doctor to get her way.
KiddieCahoots 06:28 AM 07-03-2014
I agree with everybody.

Nanndyde is right about needing a specific diagnosis on what the child is allergic to. That is a liability for you until you can determine what to keep her away from, depending on how bad her allergy is. Especially considering this child's doctor is suggesting allergies, where some doctor's are adamant that children do not typically show allergies until the age of 3yrs.

My daughter has severe allergies to cats and dust mites.
She had a severe reaction in the grocery store one day. Nose starting running, eyes started tearing and swelling, sneezing, wheezing, it came on very fast. I then noticed a little old man in front of me with white hairs all over his sweater. Had to get her out of there fast!

Same daughter, before receiving allergy injections, and allergy proofing her bedding, would wake every night from post nasal drip. So bad, that she would cough, to the point of vomiting. (Not to be gross), but her vomit would only consist of bubbly nasal discharge.

If you just keep accepting the doctor's note, without the cause of her allergies, then you will have to continue dealing with this.
Knowing how severe my daughter's allergies were, I wouldn't want to take the risk.
Blackcat31 08:31 AM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by TickleMonster:
Allergies to things like pollen and outdoor pollution can come and go randomly. I never had allergies to these things as a kid but recently developed this problem in the past year or so. Some days my sneezing is out of control and the next there is no problem at all. Yes having the window open all night could have irritated her already sore throat.
This is me lately. Some days I am fine as can be and then out of the blue, I can't stop sneezing and my nose drips worse than a faucet.

One of my DCM's is a doctor and she said you can develop allergies as you age (I've NEVER had allergies before) and that this year the conditions are perfect for them. She also said they can come and go randomly as lots of environmental and personal factors are at play.

Originally Posted by TickleMonster:
Do you medicate kids in your care? If so, have you asked mom about meds like bendryl or clarityn that they could bring for you to administer? Thats what we do here. Many of our dck deal with allergies. We also ask dcf to provide plenty of kleenex. One dcm was nice and even brought me Lysol! Did the doc prescribe an allergy medicine for the child? All in all, it is your decision if you want the child in your care and whether or not it would be managable for you.
I require parents to bring a box of Kleenex on the first of each month. Helps with the costs and they are all more than happy to do so verses me raising my rates to cover the cost.

I don't medicate kids and won't dispense anything. I may or may not allow the parent to medicate and allow child to attend IF the doctor provides a written diagnosis and plan for treatment.

I agree though that is is ultimately up to the provider. My contract specifically states I can exclude a child who requires more care and attention than I am able to give in the course of our normal day.
Leigh 08:42 AM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
You run your own business. Your house, your rules, your business. Doctors do not call the shots. If a child is so sick that they need one on one care then they should be excluded from group care for the day. This mom used the doctor to get her way.

Reply Up