Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-06-2019, 08:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Question About Milk

I have a family that has two children (4yo and 17 months) and have them drinking two different kinds of milk/milk alternate other than what I offer. There are no allergies to cow's milk, but mom has 4yo only drinking almond milk and has the 17 month old only drinking organic whole milk. I have no idea why she wants them drinking two different alternate milk options and have never thought it my place to ask why.
My question is: is it my responsibility to purchase and offer these alternates for them instead of the standard whole milk and 1 percent milk that all of the other children drink? Or is it the same as what we are required to do for infants: offering one type of formula and if the parents want them to have a different kind, it's the parents responsibility to bring it for them?
Mom currently brings both alternate milks, but it got me thinking about whether or not I am supposed to be offering/purchasing it myself.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2019, 08:12 AM
CountryRoads's Avatar
CountryRoads CountryRoads is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US of A
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a family that has two children (4yo and 17 months) and have them drinking two different kinds of milk/milk alternate other than what I offer. There are no allergies to cow's milk, but mom has 4yo only drinking almond milk and has the 17 month old only drinking organic whole milk. I have no idea why she wants them drinking two different alternate milk options and have never thought it my place to ask why.
My question is: is it my responsibility to purchase and offer these alternates for them instead of the standard whole milk and 1 percent milk that all of the other children drink? Or is it the same as what we are required to do for infants: offering one type of formula and if the parents want them to have a different kind, it's the parents responsibility to bring it for them?
Mom currently brings both alternate milks, but it got me thinking about whether or not I am supposed to be offering/purchasing it myself.
I don't. I had 1 child that was on almond milk for awhile and I let mom know that she will have to supply it. I was not about to purchase special (more expensive) milk for 1 child.

If it's not on the menu for the week, they supply.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a family that has two children (4yo and 17 months) and have them drinking two different kinds of milk/milk alternate other than what I offer. There are no allergies to cow's milk, but mom has 4yo only drinking almond milk and has the 17 month old only drinking organic whole milk. I have no idea why she wants them drinking two different alternate milk options and have never thought it my place to ask why.
My question is: is it my responsibility to purchase and offer these alternates for them instead of the standard whole milk and 1 percent milk that all of the other children drink? Or is it the same as what we are required to do for infants: offering one type of formula and if the parents want them to have a different kind, it's the parents responsibility to bring it for them?
Mom currently brings both alternate milks, but it got me thinking about whether or not I am supposed to be offering/purchasing it myself.
If you are on the food program AND the child has a special diet statement due to allergies then you would need to supply the nutritional equivalent to cows milk.

If it's a parent choice... parent supplies it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 AM
springvalley112's Avatar
springvalley112 springvalley112 is online now
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 335
Default

We are on the food program at our center and we have 1 child that has almond milk as an alternate to the cows milk because she has an allergy to it and the parents supply it and when we do our paperwork, we just calculate hers in as if she received it
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2019, 08:46 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,548
Default

Here is a chart letting you know if you do/don't need a special diet statement form:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (171.3 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-06-2019, 08:28 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Here is a chart letting you know if you do/don't need a special diet statement form:
Wow! I had no idea that Nutramigen needed a note! I had a kid on it 2 years ago, and my sponsor was aware (because it was listed on his enrollment form) and never was asked for one. The Nutramigen never helped the poor kid, anyway. He NEEDED Soy or EleCare or something like that, but his Ped (I don't like his Ped) basically convinced Mom that it was normal for him to scream in pain and barf all over for the first year of his life.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2019, 06:29 AM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,086
Default

I never allowed special diets if no proven allergy present.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieteddy View Post
I never allowed special diets if no proven allergy present.
Same


No way I have enough room in my fridge for several milk choices.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:15 AM
flying_babyb's Avatar
flying_babyb flying_babyb is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
Wow! I had no idea that Nutramigen needed a note! I had a kid on it 2 years ago, and my sponsor was aware (because it was listed on his enrollment form) and never was asked for one. The Nutramigen never helped the poor kid, anyway. He NEEDED Soy or EleCare or something like that, but his Ped (I don't like his Ped) basically convinced Mom that it was normal for him to scream in pain and barf all over for the first year of his life.
well crud! we dont have a note on file for our 1 year old on Elecare jr. Guess I should talk to mom. shes under weight so they want her on it for another year!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
milk, milk requirements

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question About Reheating Breast Milk Rockgirl Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 07-06-2016 09:53 AM
Another Milk Question Sunchimes Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 02-08-2014 09:56 PM
Question About Milk Shell Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 26 08-26-2013 03:01 PM
Transitioning to Milk sharlan Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 11-13-2012 11:48 AM
Question about Breast Milk morgan24 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 07-17-2012 07:05 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming