Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-06-2019, 03:02 PM
CountryRoads's Avatar
CountryRoads CountryRoads is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US of A
Posts: 312
Default Well, That Stinks

Family in a bind. I agreed to watch their child completely last minute, was going to let them stop by last night to pick up all the paper work. They were running late and told me 10 minutes before they were supposed to show up they would get it tomorrow (today). I get all the paperwork to her this morning, go over some of the biggies (because no one seems to read the handbook ).

Get a text 10 minutes before she was supposed to show up for care letting me know that they got the child into the center in town and it is being paid for.

You think I would've learned my lesson by now, but no. I always feel like a fool when I bend over backward for someone just to have it blow up in my face.

*sigh* Lesson learned, I suppose. Was looking forward to the extra Christmas money.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2019, 03:39 PM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,475
Default

Been there.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2019, 05:41 PM
Ms.Kay's Avatar
Ms.Kay Ms.Kay is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New York
Posts: 82
Default

Done that...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,794
Default

Got the T-shirt, too!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2019, 07:13 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
Got the T-shirt, too!
Bummer I didn't get a T-shirt.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2019, 07:19 AM
CountryRoads's Avatar
CountryRoads CountryRoads is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US of A
Posts: 312
Default

I got a laugh this morning!

She texted me pretty early asking for drop-in care today. Her other daycare closed the infant room today. Bummer.

I told her yes as long as I had payment at drop-off. I really wanted to say no, but I couldn't turn down the extra money and it's a slow day for me.

Makes me feel a little better after they wasted my time
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2019, 07:30 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
I got a laugh this morning!

She texted me pretty early asking for drop-in care today. Her other daycare closed the infant room today. Bummer.

I told her yes as long as I had payment at drop-off. I really wanted to say no, but I couldn't turn down the extra money and it's a slow day for me.

Makes me feel a little better after they wasted my time
Glad you are feeling better about it.

I'm at the point in my career (and life) where I would simply have said no.
They burned their bridge so there would be no bridge to cross to get to me.

I refuse to step in when they "need" me but gave little or no thought about how their actions affected me.

I understand the need for income (I am NOT dissing you for it ~ I've been there too!) but there will come a day where not all money is good money.

Hoping you at least charged them a drop in rate.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:07 AM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Glad you are feeling better about it.

I'm at the point in my career (and life) where I would simply have said no.
They burned their bridge so there would be no bridge to cross to get to me.

I refuse to step in when they "need" me but gave little or no thought about how their actions affected me.

I understand the need for income (I am NOT dissing you for it ~ I've been there too!) but there will come a day where not all money is good money.

Hoping you at least charged them a drop in rate.
Iím getting to this point now blackcat! Me bending over backwards bit me in the butt so many times I am finally learning my lesson and setting boundaries. This job can make you miserable if you donít set up boundaries from day 1.

My very first daycare familyís last day is next Friday. For over 2 years I have given them an extra 30 minutes for free and staying open until 6pm when I close at 5:30. Mom is off in time but chooses to run errands, go workout, basically do anything that doesnít involve picking up her child. I told them a few weeks ago that I was done staying open until 6 because because I have children that have after school activities. They put in their 2 weeks. I need the money but I refuse to bend over backwards for families anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
Bummer I didn't get a T-shirt.
You didn't see the merch table?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Glad you are feeling better about it.

I'm at the point in my career (and life) where I would simply have said no.
They burned their bridge so there would be no bridge to cross to get to me.

I refuse to step in when they "need" me but gave little or no thought about how their actions affected me.

I understand the need for income (I am NOT dissing you for it ~ I've been there too!) but there will come a day where not all money is good money.

Hoping you at least charged them a drop in rate.
I agree. When they burn bridges with me (no show for interview, sign on and then don't show up, etc.), I block their number on my phone and block them on social media (even though we aren't friends) so that they can't contact me in the future. As my written list of PEOPLE THAT I NO LONGER SPEAK TO has gotten longer, I quit keeping track of those people and just block them so that I don't have to check a list. This started when, after a couple of no-shows and reschedules, a woman showed up on my doorstep one evening while I was shopping, pressing my husband to let her in to speak to me because she needed daycare starting the next morning. He called me and I told him to tell her that she stood me up over and over and that I wasn't going to be taking her kids. He told me that she had a total meltdown and yelled at him and insisted that I was in the house and needed to talk to her. He wound up just shutting the door in her screaming face while she was letting him have it. She missed her last scheduled interview because she stopped at the cell phone store on her way here (she stopped at around the time the interview was to start) to buy a new phone and it took 2 hours. After a few texts from her that she would be here in 5 minutes, I left and went on with my plans for the evening, and decided then that I won't reschedule no-shows again, ever, and to start just blocking them everywhere I could.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-07-2019, 06:55 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
This started when, after a couple of no-shows and reschedules, a woman showed up on my doorstep one evening while I was shopping, pressing my husband to let her in to speak to me because she needed daycare starting the next morning. He called me and I told him to tell her that she stood me up over and over and that I wasn't going to be taking her kids. He told me that she had a total meltdown and yelled at him and insisted that I was in the house and needed to talk to her. He wound up just shutting the door in her screaming face while she was letting him have it.
Crazy!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-07-2019, 09:17 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
Crazy!
I think we probably see more crazy, as a group, than MOST other occupations!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-08-2019, 03:53 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
I agree. When they burn bridges with me (no show for interview, sign on and then don't show up, etc.), I block their number on my phone and block them on social media (even though we aren't friends) so that they can't contact me in the future. As my written list of PEOPLE THAT I NO LONGER SPEAK TO has gotten longer, I quit keeping track of those people and just block them so that I don't have to check a list. This started when, after a couple of no-shows and reschedules, a woman showed up on my doorstep one evening while I was shopping, pressing my husband to let her in to speak to me because she needed daycare starting the next morning. He called me and I told him to tell her that she stood me up over and over and that I wasn't going to be taking her kids. He told me that she had a total meltdown and yelled at him and insisted that I was in the house and needed to talk to her. He wound up just shutting the door in her screaming face while she was letting him have it. She missed her last scheduled interview because she stopped at the cell phone store on her way here (she stopped at around the time the interview was to start) to buy a new phone and it took 2 hours. After a few texts from her that she would be here in 5 minutes, I left and went on with my plans for the evening, and decided then that I won't reschedule no-shows again, ever, and to start just blocking them everywhere I could.
After all I've read and witnessed about people, stuff like this should come as no surprise. But I still find myself thinking WTH? Entitled much???
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-08-2019, 03:55 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
I got a laugh this morning!

She texted me pretty early asking for drop-in care today. Her other daycare closed the infant room today. Bummer.

I told her yes as long as I had payment at drop-off. I really wanted to say no, but I couldn't turn down the extra money and it's a slow day for me.

Makes me feel a little better after they wasted my time
I understand the need for $$$ but I think it would've felt better for me(Just my take on it) to be able to say 'no can do, you already blew it'.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-09-2019, 09:41 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
I understand the need for $$$ but I think it would've felt better for me(Just my take on it) to be able to say 'no can do, you already blew it'.
I had a drop in family that disrespected me, the next time she contacted me, I decided I was too busy too help her out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
parents - taking advantage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This stinks Thriftylady Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 09-01-2014 05:44 PM
Skunk! Help Me, My House Stinks!!! DaisyMamma Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 09-10-2012 09:15 AM
Insulted nikia Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 12-07-2010 12:00 PM
Summer Breaks momma2girls Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 27 08-14-2010 07:56 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:02 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming