Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training?
JillJones82 04:39 AM 06-03-2013
Hi,

Does anyone have some good toilettraining tips?
Having a real hard time getting my twins, boy and girl, potty trained. They poop almost everywhere except in the potty..

Thanks in advance!
Michael 02:23 PM 06-03-2013
We have lots of threads concerning potty training. Here are some:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...raining+advice

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...potty+training
JillJones82 05:58 AM 06-07-2013
Ok great, found some tips already!!
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 06-07-2013
How old are your kids?

What methods have you already tried?

The biggest thing is to NEVER push something they aren't developmentally ready for. Also because they are twins, doesn't mean they will both be ready at the same time.

You need to really be in tune to how each of their bodies, schedules and routines work so you can begin the process.

They should be able to undress/redress themselves. They should be able to communicate with you that they need to go potty or communicate to you that they did (if still in diapers)

If your child is not at all interested, DON'T force the issue. Potty training should be fun NOT forced.

There are lots of ways to introduce potty training and there are lots of methods out there for completing the process. You just have to find what works for you and for your children.

The ONLY real advice I have is don't bother with any of those ridiculous sales pitches from people who brag about 3 day methods or start potty training in 3days......you know the ones.... they all sound like infomercials and are so far off what it is really like to potty train a child that you have to wonder if any of those people actually have kids.
blandino 06:52 AM 06-07-2013
I have to say that we practice the 3 day method, and ask that parents do it over a weekend - and then we use a modified version the entire next week - and it works very very well for us.

I don't buy into a lot of the tricks the articles boast about. But i do agree with the basic premises of thise methods, taking a solid 2/3 days where you ditch the diapers and allow a child to feel the repercussion of having an accident.
Blackcat31 07:13 AM 06-07-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I have to say that we practice the 3 day method, and ask that parents do it over a weekend - and then we use a modified version the entire next week - and it works very very well for us.

I don't buy into a lot of the tricks the articles boast about. But i do agree with the basic premises of thise methods, taking a solid 2/3 days where you ditch the diapers and allow a child to feel the repercussion of having an accident.
Oh, I DO NOT think the premise for the 3 day methods are all that bad, I just think it's ridiculous that some of these sales people are actually tying to sell what can be given for FREE or simply figured out by using common sense.

ALL of those are basically the things those 3 day boot camp type programs market. Those are all things that anyone can find in the internet, get from their doctor, a family friend or figure out on their own since it IS common sense.

I guess it just irks me when marketers try to sell parents a method of parenting just to make a buck. kwim? It isn't some miracle cure or some secret code for unlocking the world's potty training questions. It is simple advice, should be common sense but most of all, it is something parents can get for free without having to buy some DVD instruction kit.
blandino 09:04 AM 06-07-2013
Totally agree !!!

I had a friend ask me for tips on training her almost 2 yo. I recommended the 3 day Methods and she said "we used that with my daughter but it only worked once she was ready". Ummmmm whaaaaat ? Yes, you should/can only potty train train once they are ready....I thought that was the most assanine statement I had ever heard. (okay, not EVER - but it ranked pretty high up there).
jokalima 09:36 AM 06-07-2013
In February I was looking for tips for training my son and somewhere in this forum I read about a system where you use only training pants and no pull-ups, maybe is that 3 day method? I think it said 4 days the one I read. It took me about a week to for him to realize that he had to go in the potty, then about 2 more weeks to be accident free. I would recommend that to all parents because it worked great for me, but we had to do it as a team ( husband and self ) and be consistent. In my DC years I've seen kids using pull-ups for months and months so for him to do it in 3 weeks @ 2.5 years for me it was great.
kelliott 09:47 AM 06-07-2013
my boy will be 3 this month! aahhh

i, was crazy, and decided to start potty training him a few months before he was 2..a lot of my friends were telling me their kids were trained by 2..so that was my goal..... which caused me a TON of wasted energy..strife..and stress on myself(feeling like i kept failing when he didn't grasp the peeing-in-the-toilet idea) :/

BUT after i had stop pushing it so much..this year around January.. he started doing better. he would poop in the toilet all the time..but pee is what we had to work on.. still didn't push it..just said "where do we go peepee?".. and he would know to say "the toilet".. then i would ask "do we go peepee in our pants?" and he would say "no"... he knew what had to be done but just couldn't quite DO IT..... he eventually figured it out and after 2 weeks of being dry with a pullup.. i put him in regular undies and he hasn't had a single accident since!

the BIGGEST thing i learned throughout the process..and the BEST advice i ever got as a mommy was DO NOT RUSH... ur kids will not be in diapers in kindergarten... so until then..don't worry..don't stress about it.. it will happen when they are READY

*although i understand how NICE it would be and is to not buy pullups anymore! LOL
JillJones82 08:11 AM 06-20-2013
Found a great method in the mean time, someone tipped me to read an interview
It is about a 3 day trainingsmethod and I decided to give it a try.
Amazing...within 2 days both my boy and girl only wanted to go to the potty!!

Blackcat31 08:15 AM 06-20-2013
Please stop posting links to advertise on this forum.

It is not allowed without prior approval.

You have been PM'ed about this subject previously.

Any of your user names that post links advertising your products will be removed and your IP address will be subject to banning.
Angelsj 11:38 AM 06-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Please stop posting links to advertise on this forum.

It is not allowed without prior approval.

You have been PM'ed about this subject previously.

Any of your user names that post links advertising your products will be removed and your IP address will be subject to banning.
Thank you!! I was beginning to think no one was catching that. Though I did see a thread on this disappear.
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 06-20-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Thank you!! I was beginning to think no one was catching that. Though I did see a thread on this disappear.
Even when I am not here...I'm still lurking.
Tags:potty training, potty training advice
Reply Up