Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Nursery Rhyme Theme
Sunshine44 09:39 PM 07-31-2011
Do you do a Nursery Rhyme Themed week or month? I'm trying to figure out if I want to have it as a themed week, find crafts and such to go with it. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Pammie 03:52 AM 08-01-2011
I did an entire year of nursery rhyme weekly themes...that was 2 years ago now:-)
It was truly fun for the kids - and me too! I found lots of resources on line for activities to tie into each rhyme/theme. And there are so many rhymes that arranging them to fit seasonally was easy to do - and extending the activities was simple:-)

For example:
"There Was an Old Woman Who Lived In A Shoe" week.

First of all, I changed the rhyme a bit so instead of "she whipped them all soundly and sent them to bed" we learned, "She gave them a bath and some broth and some bread and gave them all kisses and sent them to bed"

-the kids had a coloring page of the rhyme to color and add to the book they were making for the year that had all of the rhymes in them.

-kitchen creation: home made bread

-special snack: their bread and some broth

-early literacy skills: rhyming words with shoe. /sh/blend for the older kids. New vocabulary word, "broth".

-premath skills: sorting shoes into sets by attribute, seriating by size, counting shoes

-fine motor skills: lacing shoes. buckling shoes. tying for the older kids.

-craft/art: I got some old hi-top kid sneakers at garage sales and thrift stores and the kids got to paint/adorn one to make a shoe "house" and then we crafted little dolls out of clothespins/paper to make an old woman and some kids to live in the "shoe house". The kids ended up playing with their sets all week and took them home on Friday.

-social awareness: Families have many different # of members (siblings, grown-ups)

-science: yeast (experiment with what it is, how it works in baking, what it needs to make our bread rise)

-cultural awareness: shoes that children wear in different countries.

-historical awareness: shoes from "long ago"-shoes now-predict what shoes might be like in the future.

-social discussions: What would you do if you had so many___that you didn't know what to do to take care of them? Who could help you?
ex (so many pets/veterinarian.....so many flowers/gardener.....so many paints/artist.....so much mail/postal carrier......so much money/banker)

The ideas for extending activities through nursery rhymes are endless- if you need help - let me know!!
Reply Up