Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to Do When Only Have One Kid for a Day
Peaches 07:50 AM 09-02-2015
So Friday I only have 1 kid planning on coming out of my normal 6. I mentioned something to the parents hoping they may decide to keep the child home that day if they knew the kid would have no others to play with. But the kid is still coming. My question is how have others handled only have one? If I get permission do you think it's ok to have the kid join me on errands? I don't want the poor child to be too bored. She's extremely social and not used to playing on own. Any suggestions on things we can do are welcome.
butterfly 08:03 AM 09-02-2015
I might offer a discount if they keep her home so I could have a day off - 4 day weekend- or get approval to take her on outings and go do my errands and maybe something a little extra fun.

I wouldn't want to stay home all day with just one, unless I had tons of paperwork or cleaning to do.
kathiemarie 08:24 AM 09-02-2015
Get permission and do your errands maybe go out to lunch. I think its great to get kids out and about. We are out all of the time. I teach the kids how to behave in public places.
childcaremom 08:39 AM 09-02-2015
I have a small group so often end up with only one. We just have a low key day with lots of stuff that they enjoy. So if they like painting, lots of that. Baking. Walks. Etc.

If you get permission, I don't see why you couldn't take her out with you. She'd probably enjoy it.
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by Peaches:
So Friday I only have 1 kid planning on coming out of my normal 6. I mentioned something to the parents hoping they may decide to keep the child home that day if they knew the kid would have no others to play with. But the kid is still coming. My question is how have others handled only have one? If I get permission do you think it's ok to have the kid join me on errands? I don't want the poor child to be too bored. She's extremely social and not used to playing on own. Any suggestions on things we can do are welcome.
As long as you've taken the car seat safety course and have parents written permission as well as the extra liability insurance on your car, you could take her on errands for sure!

If you don't normally transport kids or have the required trainings you would not be able to transport her anywhere other than on foot.

I have had no issues telling a parent their child is the only one in attendance and that if I know they have reliable back up, I ask them to use it. I of course do not charge for the day if that happens though and they do use back up allowing me to have that bonus day off!
daycarediva 10:39 AM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
As long as you've taken the car seat safety course and have parents written permission as well as the extra liability insurance on your car, you could take her on errands for sure!

If you don't normally transport kids or have the required trainings you would not be able to transport her anywhere other than on foot.

I have had no issues telling a parent their child is the only one in attendance and that if I know they have reliable back up, I ask them to use it. I of course do not charge for the day if that happens though and they do use back up allowing me to have that bonus day off!
I do not transport daycare kids, and my handbook states that if I have under 3 children expected to attend, I can close/unpaid for that day. It's happened a couple of times, parents happily used their backup and I got a bonus day off.
Play Care 10:41 AM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I do not transport daycare kids, and my handbook states that if I have under 3 children expected to attend, I can close/unpaid for that day. It's happened a couple of times, parents happily used their backup and I got a bonus day off.
This is my policy for holidays as well. I have had days when due to illness I've wound up with one kiddo. That's fine. But I refuse to work a 10+ hour day for one. I tell the parents (truthfully!) it's a long boring day for one kiddo.
renodeb 11:51 AM 09-02-2015
I have never had a parent able to not bring there child if they were they only one. In fact most mondays I just have one kid. Just the way the kids schedule works out. I always get permission to take them in the car. It breaks up the day. If I'm home and I just have one then I get house work down between tending to the child. The rest of my week is usually full so it works out nice. I agree it is rather boring with just one kid and the day does drag a bit.
Deb
BabyMonkeys 12:25 PM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by Peaches:
If I get permission do you think it's ok to have the kid join me on errands? I don't want the poor child to be too bored. She's extremely social and not used to playing on own. Any suggestions on things we can do are welcome.
I absolutely think it's ok to take her out with her parents permission. She can learn all kinds of cool stuff while running errands. Maybe stop and get an ice cream cone or something as a special treat, just to make her feel special. It might make her sad that all her friends get to stay home with their parents and she has to come to daycare.
daycare 01:27 PM 09-02-2015
jump off a bridge.... lol

I would see if there is any way that you could offer a free day for that client.

I have done it and they were more than happy to take it.

you will know know if you don't ask.
Unregistered 05:25 PM 09-02-2015
I only have one every Friday. I do my errands and catch up on laundry and cleaning. She is a great baby, so easy to take along to the market and mall if need be. We have a fun time and will often go to lunch or get a treat. I usually end up dozing when she naps too. My fridays have really been a great way to lead into a relaxing weekend. Getting so much done and having an easy day helps give me more time to spend with my family and feel ready for games and parties and visiting relatives on the weekend. This particular baby is only 4 days a week, I am trying to get dcm to switch her day off with friday. I can't imagine how amazing it would be to work only 4 days every week!
Reply Up