Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Home Daycare with Assistant Help Question
teacher28 10:20 AM 08-02-2010
Hi everyone! I am new on here and had a quick question for all of you. I am currently a teacher and am in the beginnings of opening up an in home daycare. I wanted my friend to work at my daycare as well. She is up for it and is excited! How do I go about paying her? Do I give her an hourly rate? If so, how much is appropriate? Or do I give her a percentage of what the day care will bring in and if so how much of a percentage? Thanks so much for all your help everyone!

Kathi
Janet 11:24 AM 08-02-2010
It really depends on what responsibilities that she will have at your daycare. I tend to pay my back up provider/co-teacher more than I have paid assistants in the past because my co-teacher totally rocks! She brings it every time that she comes over. She is fully engaged with them and I'll just be honest, she earns the pay and in the past, my assistants didn't do enough to earn what I paid them! I had one assistant who wouldn't change diapers or change pull-ups or take care of the infants. She also didn't like playing with the kids and she didn't like to cook either. She didn't last long with me. Another assistant was basically the same as the one above, but she didn't mind playing with the kids. Unfortunately, she had 3 kids of her own so I didn't charge her for daycare and paid her $6/hour and that was tough financially. I had another assistant who was great but she got a job that paid more and had more hours available for her, so I can't blame her for that. I share what I make with my current co-teacher when she comes over and helps out (this is usually so that I can catch up on things like laundry and paper work). If she comes over for the whole day I pay her what I would have made. She covered for me while I was in Florida last week and I paid her the entire amount that I made for the week. I love her dearly and my kids love her, too, so she's worth paying a little more in my opinion My advice would be to talk to her about what her job responsibilities will be and then just set the price from there. Good luck!
gkids09 11:26 AM 08-02-2010
Kathi,
First of all, welcome! You will be amazed at how much this forum will help you in your daycare business.

I have two assistants. We take 12 kids per day, plus school agers. I pay them hourly, and we discuss the hourly rate before they start. I am in Tennessee, so the going rates are much lower here than in other states and cities, so I pay them $8.50 an hour. They get a bonus twice a year, but I hardly ever give them raises just because of the expenses I have. Neither seem to mind, and both love their job. I think if I were you I would sit down with your friend and discuss what she would want to be paid. Hourly pay, in my opinion, is most beneficial because (from experience) I know that sometimes workers (even close friends) won't come to work on time if they know they are getting X amount of money no matter what. Just a thought. Good luck!!
nannyde 11:31 AM 08-02-2010
I wouldn't hire a friend. That's risky.

If I did do that it would be for a flat hourly rate and a minimum number of hours per week.
Crystal 12:33 PM 08-02-2010
Unless she is a partner and paying half of the expenses of running a program out of your home, then I'd pay her an hourly wage. It also helps ensure that she'll work the hours you want her to work....if you pay a percentage, and that's a guaranteed percentage, then she COULD try to skip hours on you.

But, I agree with nanny. I'd never hire a friend. To many issues could arise and it may end up no longer being a friendship.
teacher28 03:13 PM 08-02-2010
Thanks so much everyone for all your advice! It was really helpful! If she does decide to work for me and it all works out I will def. go with an hourly rate. Makes much more sense!
Tags:assistant, assistant rates, friend
Reply Up