Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>News article
BumbleBee 07:13 AM 07-18-2012
3 kids left in a car while mom shopped. Hot day. Family members are justifying moms actions.

http://touch.woodtv.com/10023/4240809/
AfterSchoolMom 07:17 AM 07-18-2012
Wow. That was a very dangerous thing to do on a hot day, but I don't care what the temperature or the circumstances are...who leaves 1,2, and 6 year olds in the car alone??!! There's no justification for that.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 07-18-2012
Obviously the family's definition of abuse is a lot different than what most consider abuse.

I also thought the "Had she known it was against the law, she would not have done it," statement was worth an or two....I mean who cares is it is or isn't illegal....how about let's not do it because it isn't safe or in the best interest of the child(ren).

If parents are simply relying on the law to help guide them in their parenting, then we are truly headed for trouble....
Country Kids 07:21 AM 07-18-2012
Heres the strange thing I thought-why did the authorities give the children back to her then charge her the next day?

Wouldn't they have taken the kids right there and charged her with neglect immediately. The part about giving the kids right back doesn't make sense.
Kiki 07:28 AM 07-18-2012
Stuff like this always makes me , I don't understand it at all. Even just a quick run in, and out is all it takes. There are so many things that could have happened. Heatstroke, kidnapping, and the unspeakable.
I swear, some people make me think that having children should be like getting a license, you should have to take both a written, and driving test before you're allowed to procreate.
missjenny 09:37 AM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Obviously the family's definition of abuse is a lot different than what most consider abuse.

I also thought the "Had she known it was against the law, she would not have done it," statement was worth an or two....I mean who cares is it is or isn't illegal....how about let's not do it because it isn't safe or in the best interest of the child(ren).

If parents are simply relying on the law to help guide them in their parenting, then we are truly headed for trouble....
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Aside from that how could she not have known better? Sadly I see that all the time at my work we take the licenses plate down, call the parent over the intercom and tell them if we see it again we will have to call the cops. They know they cant leave their kids in the car, you can tell by the way they act. They say oh I didn't know but if they relize you've seen the kids they high tail it out of there before they can be confronted.
Heidi 10:59 AM 07-18-2012
Back in the olden days, mom used to leave us in the back of the pontiac all the time. Windows down, no seat belts, while she ran into the bank (before drive-thru's or whatever.

She stopped that the day my sister and I (4 & 3) decided that we could pretend to "drive", and I very nicely put the (not running) car into reverse. As she and the bank guy watched, the car rolled accross the parking lot (think strip mall) and hit another parked car.

No one hurt...

Those were the days when vacation meant hop into the station wagon with a pile of blankets and pillows, dad would throw a sausage in the back for us, and off we'd go!
Kaddidle Care 11:08 AM 07-18-2012
All I can do is shake my head.

Next she'll be suing the police officer for "handling" her child.
Tags:child abuse, hot weather, kids in car, news article
Reply Up