Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Gate
HOHDirector 08:36 AM 11-12-2013
Anyone have a suggestion on a good, WIDE, strong baby gate? We need one that is at least 122in wide. Our current one we've had for 2 years and the children run into the gate at full speed in order to open it. (Class age is infant-18mon) The gate is made out of plastic and the soft netting and I think we need something sturdier. I found this one at Target, but no reviews.

KidCo Auto Close Hearthgate

baby gate.jpg
Attached:
Childminder 08:47 AM 11-12-2013
Friends have that for their dogs, shepherds, but I have no reviews for children.
HOHDirector 09:01 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Friends have that for their dogs, shepherds, but I have no reviews for children.
Well if they can hold Shepherds in, I'm sure it can handle some kids too!
GKJNIGMN 09:37 AM 11-12-2013
We have a wide doorway that needed a gate and we got the idea from our previous daycare provider on how to just build our own. We took a section of simple fencing that is just over waste high from a home improvement store - 2 straight pieces, 1 across at each top and bottom with slats in between - Hinged them and then put a latch on the other side pretty much how a gate in a fence would be. We left maybe a 2 inch space at the bottom so the gate is high enough so nobody can climb it but not too high. Works better than any gate we have ever had. It's very sturdy. We live in an older house and it seems at every turn there is something that is not the traditional dimensions.
countrymom 10:11 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by GKJNIGMN:
We have a wide doorway that needed a gate and we got the idea from our previous daycare provider on how to just build our own. We took a section of simple fencing that is just over waste high from a home improvement store - 2 straight pieces, 1 across at each top and bottom with slats in between - Hinged them and then put a latch on the other side pretty much how a gate in a fence would be. We left maybe a 2 inch space at the bottom so the gate is high enough so nobody can climb it but not too high. Works better than any gate we have ever had. It's very sturdy. We live in an older house and it seems at every turn there is something that is not the traditional dimensions.
do you have a pics. I acually need to keep my cat out the daycare room and I need something that I don't have to keep climbing over.
slorey 10:24 AM 11-12-2013
We have a hearth gate like that around our woodstove. It does not close automatically, so if we open it we have to remember to close it. But, I absolutely love it! It is used primarily as a barrier around the stove for us so I am not sure how well it would stand up to abuse by the kids, but I think it would be fine. I can't imagine not having it! We have never had a problem with it.
GKJNIGMN 11:06 AM 11-12-2013
I am sort of new to the site and am not sure how to put them right in the post but I uploaded a couple pictures to an album and made it public. That one is in a standard size doorway but we have one in a really wide one as well I just can't get passed the nappers for pictures lol

That one is used as an extra level of separation for our dog who is crated in that room so forgive the dirt on it at the moment. The nice thing is we just sand it and repaint it with primer every once in while if wiping it down isn't good enough and we have only needed to do it at the top.

That is the inside so on the side the kids are on they cannot see any hardware. The person we got the idea from was using a hook latch instead of the kind we used but I had trouble training the kids not to reach over and open it.

The gate in the picture is about waist high and on the wider door we used bigger hinges. Also, the extra wood around the latch was added because I get new kids a ton so by the time we teach them not to stand on the gate the largest kids could get the hardware to bend a little and I didn't want to be replacing it.

I never have to climb it and it is easy enough that my own kids including my 3.5 year old ds can open it but the smaller kids don't get to play with it enough to figure it out.
HOHDirector 05:29 AM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by GKJNIGMN:
I am sort of new to the site and am not sure how to put them right in the post but I uploaded a couple pictures to an album and made it public. That one is in a standard size doorway but we have one in a really wide one as well I just can't get passed the nappers for pictures lol

That one is used as an extra level of separation for our dog who is crated in that room so forgive the dirt on it at the moment. The nice thing is we just sand it and repaint it with primer every once in while if wiping it down isn't good enough and we have only needed to do it at the top.

That is the inside so on the side the kids are on they cannot see any hardware. The person we got the idea from was using a hook latch instead of the kind we used but I had trouble training the kids not to reach over and open it.

The gate in the picture is about waist high and on the wider door we used bigger hinges. Also, the extra wood around the latch was added because I get new kids a ton so by the time we teach them not to stand on the gate the largest kids could get the hardware to bend a little and I didn't want to be replacing it.

I never have to climb it and it is easy enough that my own kids including my 3.5 year old ds can open it but the smaller kids don't get to play with it enough to figure it out.
Was licensing ok with that gate? We have our renewal coming up and I am not sure they will be ok with a man made gate. :-/
coolconfidentme 05:34 AM 11-14-2013
I have a wide opening to kitchen & use this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tags:baby gate, gates
Reply Up