Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Advice
wdmmom 11:31 AM 05-07-2012
I have a DCM that is pregnant. DCB (3) has been coming for 3 years now. I've been told by DCM that full time care won't be needed after she has the baby. (She is debating on returning PT or not at all.) And since I've decided to quit PT care, I gave her an astronomical rate so I'm pretty sure they won't be coming back.

This child is also the first child to arrive and the last child to leave most days.

DCM told me she wanted to keep DCB in daycare during maternity leave but would be cutting his hours back. I've asked DCM for DCB's new schedule during maternity leave twice and haven't gotten any response back. (She is due mid July, however, with my vacation being the beginning of July, (and the possibility of going into labor early), I need the schedule now so I can make whatever preparations necessary and I would like to know what it is so I can approve or deny it!

I also plan to cut my closing time back to 5pm rather than 530pm and I want to give notice but I figured I'd wait until I got the new schedule. It would only affect this family but I haven't done so because I've been waiting to until I get the new hours. (Figuring I could continue with the 530pm for another month if need be.) Meaning I know they can accommodate the earlier closing time during maternity leave but I want to do it a couple weeks before.)

I don't feel like I should ask again yet I feel like if I change my hours, they will leave now rather than August.

What would you do?!
cheerfuldom 11:36 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I have a DCM that is pregnant. DCB (3) has been coming for 3 years now. I've been told by DCM that full time care won't be needed after she has the baby. (She is debating on returning PT or not at all.) And since I've decided to quit PT care, I gave her an astronomical rate so I'm pretty sure they won't be coming back.

This child is also the first child to arrive and the last child to leave most days.

DCM told me she wanted to keep DCB in daycare during maternity leave but would be cutting his hours back. I've asked DCM for DCB's new schedule during maternity leave twice and haven't gotten any response back. (She is due mid July, however, with my vacation being the beginning of July, (and the possibility of going early), I need the schedule now so I can make whatever preparations necessary and I would like to know what it is so I can approve or deny it!

I also plan to cut my closing time back to 5pm rather than 530pm. It would only affect this family but I haven't done so because I've been waiting to until I get the new hours. (Figuring I could continue with the 530pm for another month if need be.)

I don't feel like I should ask again yet I feel like if I change my hours, they will leave now rather than August.

What would you do?!
Do not plan around them.

You can either send them a heads up, letting them know that the maternity leave plans must be approved by you and must work within your vacation time (give the dates) and the new closing time. Then leave it at that.

Or you can just wait it out, keep them as long as possible and not be afraid to tell them no should they want something you can't do come maternity leave.

I personally would just leave it. They obviously don't have a plan yet. With that said, I would not work my vacation around them at all, nor would I budge on the closing time. Its 30 min. and she will be home all day, its a non issue as far as I am concerned. Let them know your vacation time just as you would any other time. The reality is that she probably doesnt know what she wants yet and is holding you off (and keeping you available) for as long as possible.
wdmmom 12:38 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Do not plan around them.

You can either send them a heads up, letting them know that the maternity leave plans must be approved by you and must work within your vacation time (give the dates) and the new closing time. Then leave it at that.

Or you can just wait it out, keep them as long as possible and not be afraid to tell them no should they want something you can't do come maternity leave.

I personally would just leave it. They obviously don't have a plan yet. With that said, I would not work my vacation around them at all, nor would I budge on the closing time. Its 30 min. and she will be home all day, its a non issue as far as I am concerned. Let them know your vacation time just as you would any other time. The reality is that she probably doesnt know what she wants yet and is holding you off (and keeping you available) for as long as possible.

The only plan I'm making around them is the closing time. Which I will change eventually and there is no reason they couldn't accommodate it during the maternity leave. I was wanting to change it BEFORE the maternity leave. And, my vacation has been planned and paid for. If I cancel, I lose the deposit and that's not going to happen. My vacation is set in stone. I just want the schedule change long before I take my vacation so when I return, I know exactly what is going on since I'm pretty sure she will have the baby either right before or during my vacation.
Christian Mother 01:49 PM 05-07-2012
It's frustrating not know when, what, how..

My advise honestly is to find a replacement for this child. Did you say you are only offering full time care now but you don't believe she will continue anyway..why prolong it. It sounds like you'd like to work with her but if she is just waiting it out it's not helping you at all. My experience with maternity leave is that they will tell you they don't need you but for less hrs and only some days only to be kicking in screaming to allow them to come back with mores bc of the lack of sleep and attention they can give at that time to the other child. Feedings are every 2 hrs and diaper changes..playing...the other child is going to be bored and wanting some attention to..the parents end up wanting them back in care asap bc they have a hard time giving over that attention to both children. You can either remind the parent of this or ask them to make a schedule by end of June and advise them that you new hrs are from ** to 5pm. No room to negotiate as she'll be home with baby..although mine would always text me telling me there going to be late as they are feeding the baby.... In that case enforce late fees.
cheerfuldom 03:39 PM 05-07-2012
I agree with the PP, why are you even taking him at all if you aren't doing PT anyway? Besides that, it seems like you already know what you want for the closing time and vacation so just notify them if you havent and they will have to work around, end of story. I guess I don't see what the issue even is
wdmmom 04:03 PM 05-07-2012
[quote=cheerfuldom;226940]I agree with the PP, why are you even taking him at all if you aren't doing PT anyway? Besides that, it seems like you already know what you want for the closing time and vacation so just notify them if you havent and they will have to work around, end of story. I guess I don't see what the issue even is[/QUOte

OMG. Never mind than!

It's obvious you don't understand what I'm trying to get through.
cheerfuldom 04:19 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I agree with the PP, why are you even taking him at all if you aren't doing PT anyway? Besides that, it seems like you already know what you want for the closing time and vacation so just notify them if you havent and they will have to work around, end of story. I guess I don't see what the issue even is[/QUOte

OMG. Never mind than!

I'm sorry.....I did try and post ideas and I am not sure what you are looking for. No need to get all upset about. I will be sure not to post on your threads now since I have offended. I was really trying to help though.....
SilverSabre25 04:20 PM 05-07-2012
I think that most likely the problem is stemming from "asking". It sounds like they are one of "those" families (I certainly haven't found that my best families were in any way the wishy-washy ones or the ones that left the kids here open-close unnecessarily).

If I were you, I would probably just send out a letter to "everyone" (phrase it that way anyway) and announce your new closing time.

They have already shown that they are wishy-washy ("We won't come back, well maybe we will for PT, well we want care during maternity leave...) and you KNOW that they are not going to like you changing your closing time AND that they are thinking of leaving anyway, so I'd just change it.
jen 04:23 PM 05-07-2012
I would tell them that you need the schedule by some specific date; tell them that you are making some schedule changes and want to be aware of their schedule as you make those plans.

Then, if I didn't get the schedule by the specific date, go ahead and make whatever changes you need to and send out a letter to all families.
Crazy8 04:23 PM 05-07-2012
I think I understand your post.... basically, you want her maternity leave schedule and she hasn't given it to you. So go ahead and ask again but this time attach a deadline to it. Tell her you need the new schedule by May 15th or else you will assume she is keeping the 3 year old home with her during her leave. You don't say when she will be starting leave - I require my families to give me 30 days notice to any changes in their contract and then I have the option to approve or deny the changes.
temom 04:26 PM 05-07-2012
I would change my closing time before i went on vacation. I rather not come back and deal with the hassel and the parents arguing over the change ( that is if they r the arguin type).
wdmmom 04:41 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I think I understand your post.... basically, you want her maternity leave schedule and she hasn't given it to you. So go ahead and ask again but this time attach a deadline to it. Tell her you need the new schedule by May 15th or else you will assume she is keeping the 3 year old home with her during her leave. You don't say when she will be starting leave - I require my families to give me 30 days notice to any changes in their contract and then I have the option to approve or deny the changes.
Thank you. Yes, you are right. I wasn't sure if I should really ask her again.

The bottom line is: I've already asked twice. The first time she said she'd talk to DCD and get back to me. I waited almost 3 weeks before asking again and never got any response.

I know they are wanting care throughout maternity leave and I was willing to wait to change my hours until she provided the modified schedule since I know she'd be able to accommodate an earlier pick up.

I feel like if I change hours now, she will either:

A.) Ask if I will compromise and "work with her" til she goes on maternity leave. (I'm willing to wait to change the hours until the end of June, which will be very close to the time she takes maternity leave and about a week before my vacation. She is due over my vacation. Another reason I want the schedule NOW! I don't want to come back from vacation and have to deal with asking all sorts of questions. They give me the schedule now, I have plenty of time to ask questions, accept and finalize it.)

B.) Ask my daughter to watch him for the 20-30 minutes each day above and beyond my closing time. (Which I don't want her to do for the simple fact that I don't want to have the child in the house. When I'm done with work, I want to be done completely.)

C.) She will pull the child now rather than at the end of summer which would be a loss of almost $2000.
wdmmom 04:42 PM 05-07-2012

I'm sorry.....I did try and post ideas and I am not sure what you are looking for. No need to get all upset about. I will be sure not to post on your threads now since I have offended. I was really trying to help though.....
I think I might have come across wrong or you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. See above post.
My3cents 10:15 AM 05-08-2012
Thank you. Yes, you are right. I wasn't sure if I should really ask her again.

The bottom line is: I've already asked twice. The first time she said she'd talk to DCD and get back to me. I waited almost 3 weeks before asking again and never got any response.you need to know so ask until you get an answer and attach an I need to know by such and such a date.

I know they are wanting care throughout maternity leave and I was willing to wait to change my hours until she provided the modified schedule since I know she'd be able to accommodate an earlier pick up.if your going to change your hours to close earlier tell her- then they can plan accordingly

I feel like if I change hours now, she will either:

A.) Ask if I will compromise and "work with her" til she goes on maternity leave. (I'm willing to wait to change the hours until the end of June, which will be very close to the time she takes maternity leave and about a week before my vacation. She is due over my vacation. Another reason I want the schedule NOW! I don't want to come back from vacation and have to deal with asking all sorts of questions. They give me the schedule now, I have plenty of time to ask questions, accept and finalize it.)tell her when you plan to change your hours and end it at that- if you want to work with her- do it or if you don't want to work with her, then don't

B.) Ask my daughter to watch him for the 20-30 minutes each day above and beyond my closing time. (Which I don't want her to do for the simple fact that I don't want to have the child in the house. When I'm done with work, I want to be done completely.)your mom, your business, if you don't want your daughter to do this then just say no- if you need an excuse use school or other obligations, or just be honest and tell her your not comfortable with that- and that is why your changing your hours or say nothing. You don't have to give an excuse or an answer- No that is not going to work for us-

C.) She will pull the child now rather than at the end of summer which would be a loss of almost $2000.
do you have a two week notice? Prepare for this and fill the spot if she is choses to leave. Clients can come and go anytime, it is your business, run it the way you want it to work for you. These are the hours I am open. I need to know your schedule by such and such date. Hope this helps-

I replied hopefully in red above. I came back to read this because of your other thread. I don't know why I missed it and did not respond. I am guess it was after I had read the boards and I skimmed the post to see what interested me. I don't have an excuse or reason. I just missed this or it didn't interest me when I skimmed. Best-
wdmmom 11:09 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by jen:
I would tell them that you need the schedule by some specific date; tell them that you are making some schedule changes and want to be aware of their schedule as you make those plans.

Then, if I didn't get the schedule by the specific date, go ahead and make whatever changes you need to and send out a letter to all families.
Thanks Jen. YOur advice is great and I think I will do just that.
wdmmom 11:16 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
do you have a two week notice? Prepare for this and fill the spot if she is choses to leave. Clients can come and go anytime, it is your business, run it the way you want it to work for you. These are the hours I am open. I need to know your schedule by such and such date. Hope this helps-

I replied hopefully in red above. I came back to read this because of your other thread. I don't know why I missed it and did not respond. I am guess it was after I had read the boards and I skimmed the post to see what interested me. I don't have an excuse or reason. I just missed this or it didn't interest me when I skimmed. Best-
Thanks a bunch! This is the email I have drafted. Does it sound ok?!

Dear DCM:

With your due date (and my vacation time) fastly approaching, I need to get DCB's modified maternity leave schedule.

I will be changing my closing time 5pm and I am willing to wait until your maternity leave to do this but the change will be permanent. Schedule changes must be received 2 weeks before you intend to change and with the possibility of baby Girl coming sooner, I need this no later than June 1st.

Thank you very much.

Thank you.
jen 01:23 PM 05-08-2012
Thanks Jen. YOur advice is great and I think I will do just that.
No problem.

SilverSabre25 01:24 PM 05-08-2012
FWIW I think that sounds perfect!
Christian Mother 01:32 PM 05-08-2012
Thanks a bunch! This is the email I have drafted. Does it sound ok?!

Dear DCM:

With your due date (and my vacation time) fastly approaching, I need DCB's modified maternity leave schedule no later than June 1st.

As a quick update I am changing my closing time to 5pm but, am willing to wait until your maternity leave for this to go into effect. However; the change will be made permanent. Your schedule changes must be received 2 weeks before you intend to make those changes with the possibility of baby Girl coming sooner, again...I need this no later than June 1st.

Thank you very much.

Thank you.
I think it looks good!!

I changed up some of the wording and corrected spelling but I like!!

SunshineMama 01:38 PM 05-08-2012
I would keep her until you filled her spot, but I would start looking right now. If you find a spot now, take it and give her notice.

DCM told me she wanted to keep DCB in daycare during maternity leave but would be cutting his hours back. I've asked DCM for DCB's new schedule during maternity leave twice and haven't gotten any response back. (She is due mid July, however, with my vacation being the beginning of July, (and the possibility of going into labor early), I need the schedule now so I can make whatever preparations necessary and I would like to know what it is so I can approve or deny it!

I also plan to cut my closing time back to 5pm rather than 530pm and I want to give notice but I figured I'd wait until I got the new schedule. It would only affect this family but I haven't done so because I've been waiting to until I get the new hours. (Figuring I could continue with the 530pm for another month if need be.) Meaning I know they can accommodate the earlier closing time during maternity leave but I want to do it a couple weeks before.)

What would you do?!

wdmmom 02:05 PM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I would keep her until you filled her spot, but I would start looking right now. If you find a spot now, take it and give her notice.
I have been advertising but no biters as of yet. I'm hoping as it gets closer to school resuming in the fall, I'll find someone. If not, I'll run 1 less kid. No big deal to me either way.
Lucy 07:43 PM 05-08-2012
OMG. Never mind than!

Wow!!! How rude was THAT????
My3cents 10:23 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
I think it looks good!!

I changed up some of the wording and corrected spelling but I like!!
Looks great- if she doesn't get back to you on this in a timely fashion, remind her verbally one more time and then if not- well you know what to do. Great Job!

Lucy- Poster apologized already for coming off strong. All is well-
Tags:maternity leave letter
Reply Up