Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Do I Do This to Myself Everytime?
Breezy 08:31 AM 05-08-2012
I received an e-mail from a dad looking for Fulltime childcare for his two boys (2 and 5) as his current sitter got a new job. He said currently pays $150 per week for the two of them (so $75 each) and can't imagine paying anymore than that. He needed care from 7am-5pm. My FT rate is $140/child. So why when I recieved this email did I even CONSIDER setting up an interview?? I do this every time!

Luckily, when he said he has no car and would need me to transport and he lives on the North side about 12 miles away from me. That snapped me back to reality! I am not even desperate for kids at all. WHY OH WHY!
cheerfuldom 08:33 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I received an e-mail from a dad looking for Fulltime childcare for his two boys (2 and 5) as his current sitter got a new job. He said currently pays $150 per week for the two of them (so $75 each) and can't imagine paying anymore than that. He needed care from 7am-5pm. My FT rate is $140/child. So why when I recieved this email did I even CONSIDER setting up an interview?? I do this every time!

Luckily, when he said he has no car and would need me to transport and he lives on the North side about 12 miles away from me. That snapped me back to reality! I am not even desperate for kids at all. WHY OH WHY!
I am guessing the old sitter was a relative, if that makes you feel any better. glad you came to your senses
Breezy 08:39 AM 05-08-2012
He e-mailed me back and said "There is no way I can justify paying over $1000/month for child care which is what your rate equates to"

Well, yeah! You would be taking up 2 spots and I would have to provide meals, supplies, etc. Welcome to reality, sir!
Blackcat31 08:41 AM 05-08-2012
He e-mailed me back and said "There is no way I can justify paying over $1000/month for child care which is what your rate equates to"

Well, yeah! You would be taking up 2 spots and I would have to provide meals, supplies, etc. Welcome to reality, sir!
Did you respond that there is no way you can justify NOT charging at least $1000 per month since he has two kids needing full time AND transportation costs?

I can't imagine that he is going to find anything he will be able to afford that will provide transportation services as well.
Breezy 08:46 AM 05-08-2012
I said "No problem, I understand. Good luck!"

He was emailing me from his smart phone.... he is struggling as a single dad but can afford a data plan?
temom 08:49 AM 05-08-2012

He was emailing me from his smart phone.... he is struggling as a single dad but can afford a data plan?
you are a very good person
sharlan 08:50 AM 05-08-2012
I had one of those awhile back. She needed me to pick up her child every day and take him home as she didn't have a car. (My house is between her's and the bus stop. See where that one was going?) She also needed me to take her about 45 mins away to pick up an app for childcare assistance and then take her back out there to return it. She needed late on Wed and all day Sat.
cheerfuldom 08:50 AM 05-08-2012
thats annoying. and you wonder why his sitter got a new job (insert sarcasm)
Breezy 08:54 AM 05-08-2012
I saw one of those a while ago too, Sharlan. Single mom with no car needed kids and mom picked up and mom brought to work and picked up and kids cared for all day. All for like $20 per day which wouldn't be paid for 3 weeks until she was on the right payroll schedule. Um, yeah.... no.
wdmmom 09:05 AM 05-08-2012
No pun intended here but what is with this generation of parents thinking having a child is cheap or free and everything associated with the child (including childcare) should be cheap or free?! I don't know about anyone else but I've always been taught cheap and free aren't always best and if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Makes me sick to think that parents only want to pay a few dollars a day for daycare but the parents wear Abercrombie, drive a Cadillac and have a smart phone. WTH?!
momofboys 09:08 AM 05-08-2012

momofboys 09:09 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Did you respond that there is no way you can justify NOT charging at least $1000 per month since he has two kids needing full time AND transportation costs?

I can't imagine that he is going to find anything he will be able to afford that will provide transportation services as well.

temom 09:09 AM 05-08-2012
Well i don't kow about the states, but here in Toronto, u can get some really cheap daycare, i lost two kids because the parents found another daycare where the lady was charging 15$ a day for both kids, with lunch and two snacks. What i don't get is how she is low balling the price at this day and age.
SunshineMama 09:18 AM 05-08-2012

I do that to myself all the time too and I am always mad at myself... compromising rates, hour, etc. I dont know why I do it!
Kiki 09:23 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by temom:
Well i don't kow about the states, but here in Toronto, u can get some really cheap daycare, i lost two kids because the parents found another daycare where the lady was charging 15$ a day for both kids, with lunch and two snacks. What i don't get is how she is low balling the price at this day and age.
$15.00 a day for each kid, or TOGETHER?

My prices are pretty dang low, but they are only about $45.00 under what parents would pay at all of the places around me, I couldn't imagine going any lower than that.

Lol@the smartphone, I love parents that say 'I can't afford day care it's SO expensive!', yet they show up in the morning in their name brand clothing, in their fancy cars, all while emailing/texting on their iPhone!
temom 09:29 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
$15.00 a day for each kid, or TOGETHER?

My prices are pretty dang low, but they are only about $45.00 under what parents would pay at all of the places around me, I couldn't imagine going any lower than that.

Lol@the smartphone, I love parents that say 'I can't afford day care it's SO expensive!', yet they show up in the morning in their name brand clothing, in their fancy cars, all while emailing/texting on their iPhone!
Kiki its together, i couldn't believe it. with me they were paying 50$ a day for both because the wanted siblings discount, so i gave them that but didn't provide the food.
Kiki 09:33 AM 05-08-2012
Kiki its together, i couldn't believe it. with me they were paying 50$ a day for both because the wanted siblings discount, so i gave them that but didn't provide the food.

Are the children eating in this home?! At $15.00 a day, together, I am afraid for those children, how can anyone provide care for 2 children at $15.00 a day. Period. $75.00 a week. For two. How do you pay bills, and make sure that you have nutritious food for them?! I think I'm in shock.
Christian Mother 09:42 AM 05-08-2012
The north side...heck that will be by where I live...but I would not give a sib. discount and they'd have to pick up by 4:30pm....and it would be $125 a wk per child....no transportation...ohhh LOrd!! If you do it once then you'd be exspected to do it all the time. I'd be asking for gas $$. Specially with the gas prices going to $5 this summer...Lord!
temom 09:43 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:

Are the children eating in this home?! At $15.00 a day, together, I am afraid for those children, how can anyone provide care for 2 children at $15.00 a day. Period. $75.00 a week. For two. How do you pay bills, and make sure that you have nutritious food for them?! I think I'm in shock.
She probably has more kids then she should be having. and yes she does provide food and snacks. either way i was amazed that these parents went to her. but i guess i m no one to judge what the financial situation of these parents was.
cheerfuldom 12:47 PM 05-08-2012
some people really stretch every dollar, especially if they are on food programs, or get grants or take a bunch of kids to make up for the cost. I dont understand how parents feel comfortable leaving any child when there is only one person there and 20 or more kids at the daycare, yikes!
Ann B. 12:56 PM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
No pun intended here but what is with this generation of parents thinking having a child is cheap or free and everything associated with the child (including childcare) should be cheap or free?! I don't know about anyone else but I've always been taught cheap and free aren't always best and if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Makes me sick to think that parents only want to pay a few dollars a day for daycare but the parents wear Abercrombie, drive a Cadillac and have a smart phone. WTH?!
Well said!!!...So very tired of the mentality of parents who think so little of someone else who is caring for what should be the most important thing in their world!
Breezy 12:56 PM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by Ann B.:
Well said!!!...So very tired of the mentality of parents who think so little of someone else who is caring for what should be the most important thing in their world!
Exactly!!!
Breezy 12:59 PM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

Yup! My dad says all the time nothing in life is free.

Makes me sick as well. Where are their priorities? I think I would totally help someone out the best I could who truly was needing the help and doing EVERYTHING in their power to make ends meet. But, 5 phones on your cell phone plan and 4 of them have data? $120 per month- that could go towards any number of things.
dave4him 04:57 PM 05-08-2012

My full time rate is 80$ a week right now cause im just desperate!
Beach Baby 06:19 PM 05-08-2012
I do this all the time as well! I think we are cursed with the need to help others. Normally, this would be a good thing, but I've found that when I compromise what I need/want to help others, I just end up getting taken advantage of. Just tonight I almost offered to take on 2 more children...when I'm trying to cut down for the summer. Why would I even think of taking more?! I have a hard time resisting the urge to help out. Thank goodness you came to your senses before it went any further! lol
Reply Up