Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>closing routine
mamamanda 10:45 AM 04-29-2015
What is your closing routine like? Do you have a list of things you clean or do to end the day, or when the kids leave are you just done? I've been told I try to do too much and need to just let things go so I'm trying to adjust my list of things I do to allow myself to do enough that I don't feel overwhelmed by the lack of order, but also don't feel like the evening is spent cleaning up from daycare. I want my evening to be spent with my family. I was thinking wipe the bathroom sink, toilet seat, and floor around the toilet, sweep the playroom floor, wipe down all kitchen counters, and sweep kitchen floor each night at closing. Does that seem normal, or like too much or too little? That would be like 15 minutes I would spend after my last kid leaves. Also, how often do you mop the kitchen floor? I really feel like it needs it every day, but that is soooooooo time consuming. Probably because I'm ocd about it. If I sweep it every day, but just mop it every few days is that ok? Haha Just wondering how others do it.
Blackcat31 10:59 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
What is your closing routine like? Do you have a list of things you clean or do to end the day, or when the kids leave are you just done? I've been told I try to do too much and need to just let things go so I'm trying to adjust my list of things I do to allow myself to do enough that I don't feel overwhelmed by the lack of order, but also don't feel like the evening is spent cleaning up from daycare. I want my evening to be spent with my family. I was thinking wipe the bathroom sink, toilet seat, and floor around the toilet, sweep the playroom floor, wipe down all kitchen counters, and sweep kitchen floor each night at closing. Does that seem normal, or like too much or too little? That would be like 15 minutes I would spend after my last kid leaves. Also, how often do you mop the kitchen floor? I really feel like it needs it every day, but that is soooooooo time consuming. Probably because I'm ocd about it. If I sweep it every day, but just mop it every few days is that ok? Haha Just wondering how others do it.
I lock the door and walk away.

The kids have already put everything that needs putting away, away.

If anything requires prep for the next day, it's done in the morning as I have an early arrival that is the only child here for 45 minutes. I use that time for daily prep.

As for cleaning....I do that as I go so there is never one specific time set aside for that as it is on-going all the time.
Thriftylady 11:36 AM 04-29-2015
I clean as I go except for bigger jobs like cleaning the fridge. I fit that in on weekends or an evening.
jenboo 11:55 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If anything requires prep for the next day, it's done in the morning as I have an early arrival that is the only child here for 45 minutes. I use that time for daily prep.

As for cleaning....I do that as I go so there is never one specific time set aside for that as it is on-going all the time.
This is how I did it.
Controlled Chaos 12:08 PM 04-29-2015
I sweep and wipe the floors as we go (2-3 times a day). I give my last few kids baby wipes to help me clean up at the end of the day, then we do stories, a table activity or go outside until they are picked up. I give the bathroom a wipe down during nap or snack. I set out an "invitation to play" on the tables each night so there is something that grabs the kids attention right when they enter each morning. My dc is in the basement, so it isn't in the way. This morning one kid table had play doh and the other had art supplies out ready for cutting and gluing. I never spend more than 15min at the end of the day. Only even that long if I have an interview or if the space really needs a deep clean, maybe once a month.
spinnymarie 12:30 PM 04-29-2015
After the last kid leaves, I take out the garbage and compost and sweep the kitchen, close windows and change the sign in sheet for the next day.
In the morning we wipe down bathroom surfaces and around toilet, change the calendar, and do the fire safety check.
During the day we do everything else - restocking, changing sheets/laundry, wiping down tables, counters and vacuuming after meals, etc.
I try to do as much during the day as possible.
hope 12:31 PM 04-29-2015
All the kids clean before nap time and i disinfect and clean during nap time. Kids wake up at 3 pm, potty, snack and leave. Any extra cleaning can be done in the morning.
tenderhearts 01:22 PM 04-29-2015
I do as the others, clean as I go. Bathroom cleaning I usually do a quick clean during nap time and do the deep cleaning on the weekend (Unless it needs to be done sooner), I wipe everything daily but mopping floor cleaning toilet weekends.
I also prep my dinner during nap time which saves me so much time at night, I feel so much more relaxed when all the kids go and know I don't have another hour or more prepping and cooking dinner.
NightOwl 01:34 PM 04-29-2015
Here, it's in our regulations that cleaning of any kind cannot interfere with the children's activities or detract from the attention they receive. It's quite frustrating and leaves me with lots to do at the end of the day. The kids put the toys away, but I still have to sweep, mop, do dishes, clean the bathroom, start laundry, etc., after hours. Not fun. I usually work about an hour every day after the kids leave. I try to squeeze in little things if they're occupied with an activity, but it doesn't happen every day. Also, when my teenagers are home, I recruit them to help get some of it done so it's not so overwhelming once the kids leave.
Unregistered 01:38 PM 04-29-2015
I am far too spent at the end of the day to spend much time on anything else besides dinner preparations and relaxation.

I like to clean as I go. I do the big cleaning (bathroom, floors, details, etc.) on the weekends. I usually just do a quick pick up after all of the kids are gone in the evening. I get up before the kids come in the mornings and make sure the yard is free of dog poop and the house looks decent.
Controlled Chaos 02:00 PM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
Here, it's in our regulations that cleaning of any kind cannot interfere with the children's activities or detract from the attention they receive. It's quite frustrating and leaves me with lots to do at the end of the day. The kids put the toys away, but I still have to sweep, mop, do dishes, clean the bathroom, start laundry, etc., after hours. Not fun. I usually work about an hour every day after the kids leave. I try to squeeze in little things if they're occupied with an activity, but it doesn't happen every day. Also, when my teenagers are home, I recruit them to help get some of it done so it's not so overwhelming once the kids leave.
Teaching older little ones to clean and do chores is educational. I let them dry clean dishes, wipe things down, help put clothes in the basket from the dryer. That is how I would work within that rule. It's ridiculous to expect all "chores" to be on hold.
Kimskiddos 02:08 PM 04-29-2015

This is how I am too. Except for the early arrival, but I do run the vacuum and do a wipe down if needed while waiting for the first kiddo to arrive.
NightOwl 02:09 PM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Teaching older little ones to clean and do chores is educational. I let them dry clean dishes, wipe things down, help put clothes in the basket from the dryer. That is how I would work within that rule. It's ridiculous to expect all "chores" to be on hold.
Trust me, I know. It sucks. And you're absolutely right. I just need them to get a little older and I'll start doing this. All of my kids except one is a baby/toddler. :/
Unregistered 04:42 PM 04-29-2015

This is the way I do it too
Unregistered 04:17 AM 05-02-2015
I have two dedicated cc rooms. I'm also a clean and straighten as I go person. At night I shut the door and forget about it. It says quite orderly. I'm a straightener by nature and I'm always making sure toys are sorted and in the right bin. I find it easy to keep things clean and in order.

In the morning I wipe down the toilet and sink with Clorox wipes. I also vacuum. The room where the kids eat has laminate. I wipe down that floor about every other day.

I take out diapers to the trash and empty any trash cans after kids go home too.
Unregistered 04:23 AM 05-02-2015
Ps. I don't clean on weekends either. I forgot to add I clean the toilet each morning and wipe the floor every few days. Weekends are for my family, laundry and FUN!
childcaremom 04:57 AM 05-02-2015

Well I close the door and walk away. The only thing I do afterhours would be empty garbages and afternoon snack dishes.

I clean as I go as well. The bathroom gets a light cleaning each morning before kiddos and a good cleaning on the weekend.

Floors are swept vacuumed each morning (I do this even without dc) and mopped on weekends. Spills I clean as I go.

I save mouthed objects to clean on the weekend.

I do prep work on weekend and rearrange the classroom on weekends. Just cause I like change
Reply Up