Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shoes and socks
MissAnn 06:13 AM 08-17-2012
Recently I changed my policies. I now require shoes and socks. I did this because my play yard has heavy items they can carry around and build with. So...now that I have this policy, I'm running into obstacles. For one thing, the grass is wet and their socks and shoes get really wet. When we come inside I let them take their shoes and socks off and we leave them on my deck. They don't dry and they have grass all over them. I have to clap them together to clean them and then they are still wet. Moms are starting to complain about the socks getting dirty. I did suggest they don't bring bright white socks....just have them wear ones that are stained. Not sure what else to do....but I'm sure you have suggestions. My carpet does need cleaning....but it is old and never cleans up as good as I would like even though I have it professionally cleaned 3 times a year. I thought about having them take socks off every day while inside...but then what about winter? House shoes?

I know you will have solutions for me....so bring it on! Please!!!!!!
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 08-17-2012
My kiddos are all required to wear socks and shoes while outside and then have slippers for inside.

In MN, the winter gets pretty chilly so unless you have in floor heat, the floors are always coldest and slippers are a popular thing around here.

My families all buy a pair and simply leave them at care in the children's baskets. No dirty socks inside and feet are protected outside.
Hunni Bee 06:25 AM 08-17-2012
As for the dirty socks from outside thing, that's just a rite of passage when you're a little kid. My mom told me when she was a little girl in the fifties, the outside of her underwear would get dirty from playing.

If it continues to be a big deal, ask that the parents buy a pair of slippers like Cat said for the inside and mud boots for outside. Other than that, just keep asking for dark or stained socks, and keep plenty of backups.
Country Kids 06:42 AM 08-17-2012
I have my kids wear mud/rain boots outside all year round. In their required backup clothing they are also required to bring socks and underwear.

Have the parents bring you socks and as the kids are coming in, having them take their boots off, sit on th edge of the carpet and change into fresh socks.
JustAMom 06:46 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
As for the dirty socks from outside thing, that's just a rite of passage when you're a little kid. My mom told me when she was a little girl in the fifties, the outside of her underwear would get dirty from playing.
Exactly! It's silly to complain about dirty socks on a kid. Socks are pretty inexpensive and I don't mind buying them because I know my daughter had a great time ruining those socks! Haha. I just save a few pairs for "good." But I never send her to daycare in anything I'd cry over getting ruined.
MissAnn 07:04 AM 08-17-2012
OK.....love the slippers idea for sure. What kinds seem to work best? Thanks all!
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
OK.....love the slippers idea for sure. What kinds seem to work best? Thanks all!
My kids all have different kinds. Some have the action figure ones with the big heads on them, others have ballet type slipper kind and some have furry ones that are a hoot!

I don't care what kind they have as long as they stay on, don't have hard soles/bottoms (too many littles on the floor) and can stay at daycare so they always have them.
6colleen 08:39 AM 08-17-2012
I spent 2 years cleaning mud and drying shoes, before it dawned on me to have the families send an old pair of tennis shoes that stay here. They are kept outside my back door on a shelf, and never come in. I do like the idea of mud boots. I'll start looking for them at resale shops.
MissAnn 09:05 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by 6colleen:
I spent 2 years cleaning mud and drying shoes, before it dawned on me to have the families send an old pair of tennis shoes that stay here. They are kept outside my back door on a shelf, and never come in. I do like the idea of mud boots. I'll start looking for them at resale shops.
I did exactly this but with crocs. I had all the parents buy crocs. In the winter they did mud boots....but they are hard to run in and I felt like it hampered them. So, now I have them wear tennis shoes and when we come inside they leave their shoes outside. The mud problem has solved itself because I filled my mud pit in with sand. My hard is a slight hill, so water runs off and isn't muddy.
Country Kids 09:19 AM 08-17-2012
We live where there is tons of rain so every kid grows up wearing mud boots! We even have a doctor that wears them into surgery (easier to clean up). Has a pair just for that.

If we didn't have alot of rain I would probably do something different. We wear them in the summer also because of doing lots of water play and that way we aren't having to worry about shoes not drying till next wear.
Reply Up