Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>how much notice do you give?
Unregistered 05:48 AM 05-29-2015
I have decided to term one of my families. The reason being the behavior problems of the 4 yr old dcg and her 2 yr old brother. It's issues that have been addressed every day for a year and continue to get worse. Their new contract doesn't go into effect until mid August ( which I'm not renewing), but I was wondering how much notice you would give out of courtesy.
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 05-29-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have decided to term one of my families. The reason being the behavior problems of the 4 yr old dcg and her 2 yr old brother. It's issues that have been addressed every day for a year and continue to get worse. Their new contract doesn't go into effect until mid August ( which I'm not renewing), but I was wondering how much notice you would give out of courtesy.
I would give parents the same courtesy you expect them to give you.

Usual notice period is two weeks but I know some providers require parents to give a month's notice. So whatever you require families to give you when withdrawing from care is the same amount of time I'd give them.

When it comes to behavioral issues though, I usually just want to be done and don't always want to continue providing care after notice is given but I will.

What I do is notify the family that I am terminating services and tell the last date I am willing to provide care (end of two weeks) and let them know that if they find alternate care before the two weeks is over, they are free to leave earlier.
spinnymarie 08:13 AM 05-29-2015
Parents pay monthly, so we have them give a month's notice, and we do the same. And I love nannyde's advice to not have them pay another cent toward care, even if that means you'd lose money if they stayed -- they won't stay
childcaremom 08:30 AM 05-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would give parents the same courtesy you expect them to give you.

Usual notice period is two weeks but I know some providers require parents to give a month's notice. So whatever you require families to give you when withdrawing from care is the same amount of time I'd give them.

When it comes to behavioral issues though, I usually just want to be done and don't always want to continue providing care after notice is given but I will.

What I do is notify the family that I am terminating services and tell the last date I am willing to provide care (end of two weeks) and let them know that if they find alternate care before the two weeks is over, they are free to leave earlier.

What I plan to do when I can finally term my problem family.
Baby Beluga 09:00 AM 05-29-2015
Unless it is a very serious safety or respect issue I think a two week notice is fair.
finsup 09:22 AM 05-29-2015
At least 2 weeks, unless they either become such a problem/start drama that you worry about false accusations against you or they are a danger to themselves or others. In that case, you're done immediately. But if at all possible I try to give at least a couple weeks, esp this time of year. Many places around here are full for the summer so it can be tricky to find care right away.
Unregistered 10:19 AM 05-29-2015
I would give two weeks, that seems more than fair.
Deb
Febby 11:06 AM 05-29-2015
My center gives either one or two weeks notice depending on how bad the behavior is. If it's really severe, then no notice.
Reply Up