Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do you label cups?
Baby Beluga 08:13 AM 09-16-2015
I have the hardest time labeling cups. I use a sharpie and it always come off. I read on here about a week ago that a poster put clear nail polish over the ink to make it stay. I tried that today and the marker just smeared.

Any ideas?
mamamanda 08:19 AM 09-16-2015
Was it permanent marker & was it fully dry first? Just curious. Do you always use the same cups? I've been using small glasses for meal time. I label them with a sharpie about once a week. It wears off in the dishwasher after several washes though. I've thought about baking it on? I know that works on ceramic, but I'm guessing it would bust the glass?
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 09-16-2015
Why are you labeling cups?

I just give each child a cup at snack and meals but they aren't assigned a specific cup each day so just curious...
sharlan 08:26 AM 09-16-2015
My kids have certain cups that they use for water. So everybody knows who's is who's. I'm supposed to have water available at all times.

I also bought these bands at Toys R Us that you can write names on. I used to put those on the cups. Everyone had their own color. During the summer, the kids are color coded. T is red, I is yellow, etc. That way everyone knew which water bottle was theirs.
Cat Herder 08:31 AM 09-16-2015
I use masking tape. It shows they were "made fresh" daily for QRIS.

Blue for the water cups. Available at all times.
White for the milk cups.
None for the juice, because I no longer serve it.

No longer buying juice = 1 thing I like about QRIS.
Baby Beluga 08:36 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I just give each child a cup at snack and meals but they aren't assigned a specific cup each day so just curious...
During meal and snack times everyone get a small disposable dixie cup - so those I just toss.

But, I am in the southwest where it is hot 10/12 months of the year - so I like the kids to have access to water outside of meal and snack times. Everyone has their own sip cup/reusable water bottle that remains here. They sit on a shelf in our playroom and come outside with us. Those I am having a hard time keeping a label on.
Rockgirl 08:36 AM 09-16-2015
I use a sharpie on their water cups. When it fades, I just go over them again. They're color-coded, too, but I like them to see and recognize their names.
Baby Beluga 08:37 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Was it permanent marker & was it fully dry first? Just curious. Do you always use the same cups? I've been using small glasses for meal time. I label them with a sharpie about once a week. It wears off in the dishwasher after several washes though. I've thought about baking it on? I know that works on ceramic, but I'm guessing it would bust the glass?
It was, I let it dry for about an hour before putting the clear polish on.
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
During meal and snack times everyone get a small disposable dixie cup - so those I just toss.

But, I am in the southwest where it is hot 10/12 months of the year - so I like the kids to have access to water outside of meal and snack times. Everyone has their own sip cup/reusable water bottle that remains here. They sit on a shelf in our playroom and come outside with us. Those I am having a hard time keeping a label on.
Got ya! Was just curious...

I too have to have water available at all times but to me that does not mean cups sitting out filled with water. It just means if you need/want a drink, you can have one and I'll get it for you.
Cat Herder 08:48 AM 09-16-2015

I too have to have water available at all times but to me that does not mean cups sitting out filled with water. It just means if you need/want a drink, you can have one and I'll get it for you.
I think what you do is what they (QRIS) intended. I have a mini-fridge/freezer the kids can open to grab their water cups at will. It is me sucking up for points lost when I could not afford to have warm running water installed in the playroom.

The lady said she liked to see the masking tape because it won't stay on in the dishwasher.
Baby Beluga 08:56 AM 09-16-2015

I understand I am too...dare I say lazy?

I would rather them just grab their cup, take a drink and put it back on the shelf
daycarediva 09:18 AM 09-16-2015
I use color coded water bottles (each child here is assigned a color) and colored ikea cups for meals/snacks. No issues because "THAT'S MY COLOR!" will be said.
Unregistered 09:31 AM 09-16-2015
I have a variety of sippy cups (colors, shapes). Each child gets their own, until it breaks or they term. These are on the counter for water only.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:37 AM 09-16-2015
At the table, we use tiny glasses I find at Goodwill and other thrift stores. I buy only one at a time, all different styles. So the kids remember which one they are using. We also have beach rocks with their names on them (in paint pen), which they use as placemarkers at the table in case they forget where they were sitting (we leave cups on the table all day).

On walks and outings, we use Klean Kanteens. I use big fat rubber bands with their names written on them in Sharpie. Works well for me, because I have more kids than canteens, so I don't want permanent labeling.
renodeb 09:43 AM 09-16-2015
Sharpie came out with a longer lasting pen, maybe try that. I have the same problem. At one point I took a tool and etched there names in. I would love tp see if anyone has any better ideas.
Deb
Crazy8 10:31 AM 09-16-2015
I have a P-touch label maker. If you aren't using the laminated tape it will come off after a number of runs through the dishwasher but even that takes a few months.
spinnymarie 11:35 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I have a P-touch label maker. If you aren't using the laminated tape it will come off after a number of runs through the dishwasher but even that takes a few months.
Us too, laminated tape. We use cups with lids and I like that each kid has their own, even though we do wash them daily by hand (no dishwasher).
midaycare 11:40 AM 09-16-2015

I was told by QRIS here in MI that we have to label all cups. They get labeled at QRIS time, but that's about it. Otherwise I have a zillion cups and they all get used once and washed.
Baby lady 11:59 AM 09-16-2015
I bought a dozen of these years ago,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playtex-Crea...item35f1d8d568

they have a paper insert that can be removed and individualized, I use them to keep water handy when we're playing outside
Unregistered 01:03 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Baby lady:
I bought a dozen of these years ago,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playtex-Crea...item35f1d8d568

they have a paper insert that can be removed and individualized, I use them to keep water handy when we're playing outside
The Dollar Tree has some cups like this. Not sippy, but with a flip open top.
bklsmum 02:23 PM 09-16-2015
I don't label them. I have a color coded system. Every kid has their assigned color and their own cups, plates, bowls and flatwear. I use the Re-play line. They have them at Walmart and on Amazon. There are about 15 colors.
Reply Up