Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would you send this?
Play Care 05:26 AM 09-17-2015
I have a teacher client that occasionally pushes pick up time, not late late usually (and the one time she was I did charge which helped), but a few minutes here and there. Of all the teachers I've ever had, this is the only one who has ever been late for pick up.

Last year I had another family who was on the later side of pick up, but they have moved on. All my families this year pick up well before my contracted close time. Yesterday she was a few minutes late for pick up (past my close time) which is now blatantly obvious as the other family is no longer here.

I was thinking of emailing her something like this:

"Sue,

You were 10 minutes late for pick up yesterday. Since all my other clients are picking up well before my 4:30 close time this year, late pick up times are more noticeable. On most days B will be the only child here for the last hour of the day. I understand better than most that teachers do not get to leave at 3:00 and understand if you can't pick up until 4:30. That said, I can not allow late pick ups as I have commitments after work that I need to be on time for.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Provider"

Some background: This is her last year here. DCG tends to be high maintenance in some ways but is overall a good kid. After having a couple of years where I had a parent picking up late (sometimes well past close time) I swore I'd never put up with it again. At the same time, mom is never more than 5 minutes late here and there and does have days where she picks up early, which makes me feel nitpicky. Would you send this? Let it go?
rosieteddy 05:33 AM 09-17-2015
I would not send it.I would however send a note.I would say Sue, you were 10 minutes late on--------day.After this you will be charged the late fee of whatever you charge. Please bring late fee in cash at pick-up.
childcaremom 05:35 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I would not send it.I would however send a note.I would say Sue, you were 10 minutes late on--------day.After this you will be charged the late fee of whatever you charge. Please bring late fee in cash at pick-up.

Laurel 05:38 AM 09-17-2015
I think what I would do is wait until the next time she is late and say "Oh it's x time. I need you to pick up before 4:30 every day because I sometimes have places to be after work and don't want to be late."

Then, if it happens again, just charge her.

Laurel
Laurel 05:39 AM 09-17-2015
I think what I would do is wait until the next time she is late and say "Oh it's x time. I need you to pick up before 4:30 every day because I sometimes have places to be after work and don't want to be late."

Then, if it happens again, just charge her.

Laurel

Oops sorry for double post. I was getting some message and didn't think it went through.
Play Care 05:48 AM 09-17-2015
I do think it's wordy, but I kind of wanted to highlight that her kid is IT in hopes she'll get that her gig is up
childcaremom 05:55 AM 09-17-2015
So you want her to pick up before 4:30?

Maybe address that with her as a separate issue.

I would make sure to be on top of charging the late fees.
Thriftylady 05:55 AM 09-17-2015
What about putting it in your newsletter or something?
Play Care 06:03 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
So you want her to pick up before 4:30?

Maybe address that with her as a separate issue.

I would make sure to be on top of charging the late fees.
I was sort of hoping to shame/guilt her into it
Cat Herder 06:04 AM 09-17-2015
How did you address it at the door, the moment it happened? Face to face. That would have been the appropriate time to handle it, IMHO.

The note sort of reads "I don't mind you being late when I have other families here late, so please be on time until I enroll another late family."

In your shoes, the next time she is late, I'd hit her with the $1 per minute fee followed by awkward silence.

If she asks why, then say "...because it is the policy. I let you get by with it last time and you can see how that worked out for me... ha! (smile, wink). Here is Suzzies art work from today, she was really proud of the aardvark drawing. Have a great night."
Play Care 06:04 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I don't think she gets it unless it's direct...
Play Care 06:06 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
How did you address it at the door, the moment it happened? Face to face. That would have been the appropriate time to handle it, IMHO.

The note sort of reads "I don't mind you being late when I have other families here late, so please be on time until I enroll another late family."

In your shoes, the next time she is late, I'd hit her with the $1 per minute fee followed by awkward silence.

If she asks why, then say "...because it is the policy. I let you get by with it last time and you can see how that worked out for me... ha! (smile, wink). Here is Suzzies art work from today, she was really proud of the aardvark drawing. Have a great night."
Yikes! Def not the message I want to send!!
Rockgirl 06:07 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Good idea. A reminder about pickup time being no later than 4:30, so that you are able to meet your obligations.

Oops--some time passed before I hit submit, and didn't see your reply about this.
littletots 06:53 AM 09-17-2015
Gosh, I wouldn't send but so frustrating to deal with for sure.
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 09-17-2015
I'm with Cat Herder on this one too...

Address it immediately AT the door. Apply the appropriate late fee.

Lose the guilt.

She I being disrespectful and it doesn't matter if it's 10 minutes or 60. She IS late. period.

Have DCK get her shoes/coat on and be waiting...when DCM walks in the door I would say something along the lines of "Hi Sue! It's past my closing time again and you've once again held me up. Is there anything going on that I need to be aware of?"

When she says no or that she lost track of time or X then just reply "I understand but I close AT 4:30 and need you to be respectful of that."

If she feels awkward; she SHOULD. I wouldn't feel bad about it one bit.

The words look harsh in print but they are true and need to be said. If you do it professionally (FIRM with a smile) parents almost always get the message loud and clear.
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 09-17-2015
For me newsletters are about classroom announcements, closing reminders and other day to day stuff.

Things like observation of rules and policies (especially if parents are breaking them) are dealt with verbally and directly with the parent.

Most newsletters end up on the floor of their car and are easily ignored.
I also personally feel that if its REALLY important, it needs to said directly to the offending person. Putting it in writing as a back up is a great idea but I don't solve current issues with a newsletter. It rarely works in my experience.
Willow 08:10 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I don't think she gets it unless it's direct...

I'd send it. I'd also be inclined to ask her face to face if anything is wrong to emphasize just how alarming her delays are. Too many parents are more than willing to pay the late fee and frankly, I never cared about the money as much as I desired the respect.

5 minutes past pick up or close it's typical for me to ask if there's been an accident. 10 minutes past close it wasn't beyond me to load up my kids in the car and be waiting with their child in the driveway (even if it was just to go get ice cream - to add emphasis to the fact that I DO indeed have a life outside of caring for their child).
Crazy8 09:08 AM 09-17-2015
I feel its too personal and a little wishy washy to send honestly. I prefer my letters to be more fact/policy based. First, I do agree it should be dealt with face to face when it happens but if you want to follow up with a letter I would just make it more direct - that your closing time is 4:30pm and even a minute over that time will be charged your current late fees and repeated tardiness can lead to termination.

For the kid being the only one there the last hour is something I would just bring up casually in conversation. She isn't breaking any policy by staying until 4:30 and unless you want to change her contracted pick up time to earlier you may not be able to "guilt" her into picking up any earlier but you sure don't have to deal with her picking up late!!
daycare 09:14 AM 09-17-2015
do your clients sign in and out every day?

when the time has passed, i highlight the child's name on the sign in and out sheet. this way the parent sees the highlighted name and KNOWS I am going to charge that late fee. I require them to be paid at the end of the week. I have no doubt they will pay them, as I then enforce the no pay no stay for the following week.
Play Care 09:18 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm with Cat Herder on this one too...

Address it immediately AT the door. Apply the appropriate late fee.

Lose the guilt.

She I being disrespectful and it doesn't matter if it's 10 minutes or 60. She IS late. period.

Have DCK get her shoes/coat on and be waiting...when DCM walks in the door I would say something along the lines of "Hi Sue! It's past my closing time again and you've once again held me up. Is there anything going on that I need to be aware of?"

When she says no or that she lost track of time or X then just reply "I understand but I close AT 4:30 and need you to be respectful of that."

If she feels awkward; she SHOULD. I wouldn't feel bad about it one bit.

The words look harsh in print but they are true and need to be said. If you do it professionally (FIRM with a smile) parents almost always get the message loud and clear.
I know, I know but ever since I had a client lose their mind in my foyer, I've been leary of confrontation. Not so much for me - but that my kids are here and I don't want them upset or scared. It's why I like email because I can get my words across with out over doing it.
daycarediva 09:18 AM 09-17-2015
Hi Jane,
I forgot to give you the late fee notice for yesterday's late pickup. As you are aware, I close at 4:30. You picked up at 4:40, please add the $10 fee to this weeks payment.
Provider

Then the next time she is late (or super close to 4:30), I'd have the kids shoes on and say Susie is getting antsy waiting for you, she has been the last one here by more than half hour all week!"
Play Care 09:29 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Hi Jane,
I forgot to give you the late fee notice for yesterday's late pickup. As you are aware, I close at 4:30. You picked up at 4:40, please add the $10 fee to this weeks payment.
Provider

Then the next time she is late (or super close to 4:30), I'd have the kids shoes on and say Susie is getting antsy waiting for you, she has been the last one here by more than half hour all week!"
I may do this - though a warning instead of a charge.

I'm just so not in the mood to start this up again
Miss A 10:05 AM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:

when the time has passed, i highlight the child's name on the sign in and out sheet. this way the parent sees the highlighted name and KNOWS I am going to charge that late fee. I require them to be paid at the end of the week. I have no doubt they will pay them, as I then enforce the no pay no stay for the following week.
I love this idea! Maybe the fact that all parents can see the highlighted area helps Parents to be more mindful of the late pick up as well? Either way, great idea!
Unregistered 10:10 AM 09-17-2015
I would send something but not that. I agree with the other poster that it says if i have other late families it wouldn't be a big deal. I would state the facts. On X day you were late by X minutes. The late fee is X. Please bring the fee by X. Also, I do have other commitments after closing and so it is important that you are timely. Thanks for your understanding.
spinnymarie 10:20 AM 09-17-2015
At 5 min past pick-up time, I send a text
"Your pick-up time on XX day is xx:xx. A late fee of $XX is due before daycare tomorrow! Thanks "
Then I'll send another if they are later than 15 minutes, but that has yet to happen. If they are there at 2 minutes after, I remind them of the late fee and say next time they will get it.
Play Care 10:27 AM 09-17-2015
I think at this point I may let it go and if it happens again say something right then.

Love the idea of sign in/ sign out. I take daily attendance but having them do it might be better so it's in black and white. Love the idea of highlighting the late pick ups.
Play Care 05:20 AM 09-18-2015
I wound up sending a modified version of the email and following up verbally.

When I followed up verbally I did mention the fact that most days she will be here on her own by at least 30 minutes and since there are no other kids here (to keep her busy) it increases her aniexty if mom isn't on time.
Since this girl is rather advanced she does understand that mom is late even though she can't tell time.

Now I won't have any guilt charging late fees because she can't say she wasn't aware or forgot.
childcaremom 05:21 AM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I wound up sending a modified version of the email and following up verbally.

When I followed up verbally I did mention the fact that most days she will be here on her own by at least 30 minutes and since there are no other kids here it increases her aniexty if mom isn't on time.
Since this girl is rather advanced she does understand that mom is late even though she can't tell time.

Now I won't have any guilt charging late fees because she can't say she wasn't aware or forgot.

284878 06:55 AM 09-19-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:

Love this idea. I had a client that was 1 or 2 minutes late according to my clock but would write 6 down. No biggie until she was 5 min and did the same thing. ugh.
Reply Up