Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Love the library but...
SquirrellyMama 09:44 AM 02-20-2014
https://www.citizen-times.com/articl...s-likely-cause

Just in case people don't want to open the link. The Ames Public Library was closed yesterday because 25 employees called in sick. It is thought that they all have norovirus. The latest report is now that 28 employees are sick. I wonder if any library patrons have become ill.

Glad we haven't been there for a while.

Kelly
countrymom 09:48 AM 02-20-2014
acually this happened to one of my dcf last week. The boys went to the library program and then the next day one of them got so ill and spread thru the family.
Shell 10:42 AM 02-20-2014
Eww! Staying away from the library for a while!
Play Care 10:44 AM 02-20-2014
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my library!! I think a lot of parents take advantage (literally ) of the play groups, story times, etc. I've seen many a child who should NOT be out there...
SilverSabre25 10:48 AM 02-20-2014
seriously, you guys are blaming the library? Could just as easily happen at the grocery store, Wal-Mart, playground, etc. In fact, it DOES but doesn't get caught or noticed as clearly as this. It's really not that unusual or unexpected. Schools close all the time for mass outbreaks of things, or daycare centers.

Honestly, unless your library happens to be Ames, saying that you need to stay away from the library because of this ONE instance, is a little silly and alarmist. Not every library is going to have an outbreak of norovirus. This is probably only in the news because they had to close. And they are cleaning, as mentioned in the library.

Just a freak occurrence.

I have a feeling that the nasty bug brought in last week by dck's and spread to my family AND my sister's, was norovirus. The timetable (sick for about two days) fits and so do the symptoms.
craftymissbeth 10:53 AM 02-20-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
seriously, you guys are blaming the library? Could just as easily happen at the grocery store, Wal-Mart, playground, etc. In fact, it DOES but doesn't get caught or noticed as clearly as this. It's really not that unusual or unexpected. Schools close all the time for mass outbreaks of things, or daycare centers.

Honestly, unless your library happens to be Ames, saying that you need to stay away from the library because of this ONE instance, is a little silly and alarmist. Not every library is going to have an outbreak of norovirus. This is probably only in the news because they had to close. And they are cleaning, as mentioned in the library.

Just a freak occurrence.

I have a feeling that the nasty bug brought in last week by dck's and spread to my family AND my sister's, was norovirus. The timetable (sick for about two days) fits and so do the symptoms.

A couple years ago a library in a nearby city found bed bugs in their chairs. Yeah, that's disgusting, but I don't think people stop and think about all the nasty things that lurk EVERYWHERE and we just don't notice, kwim?
countrymom 11:37 AM 02-20-2014
well in my case the child only went to school and library and fell ill the next day. And no one has been sick at school and everyone has been there. But mom said that there kids that shouldn't have been at the program at all and the librarian got sick too.

speaking of sickness, I have a after school kid and his sister is here all day. Well yesterday the sister tells me how her brother threw up in the morning. So when he came afterschool I asked him about it and he tells me that he was sick all weekend and he was throwing up for 2 days. But mom sent him to school so now everyone else can get sick, makes me so mad.
blandino 11:52 AM 02-20-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my library!! I think a lot of parents take advantage (literally ) of the play groups, story times, etc. I've seen many a child who should NOT be out there...
I think the same way about mall playgrounds and even Sunday school. People think it's just for a few hours so no big deal. My most common day for kids to come down with an illness in Tuesday, and I always equate it to being at Sunday school, or an indoor playground over the weekend.
SquirrellyMama 12:18 PM 02-20-2014
My Kindle changed norovirus to antivirus. Sorry, about that. I got it changed. I need to keep an eye on my Kindle and its auto correct.

Kelly
Play Care 12:40 PM 02-20-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

Just a freak occurrence.

Oh, I'm not blaming the library, simply pointing out that *some* parents take advantage of library programs much in the same way they take advantage of day care providers...it's not surprising to me that the entire staff of a library, being a very public building, could come down with flu like illnesses.
daycare 02:55 PM 02-20-2014
Oh, I'm not blaming the library, simply pointing out that *some* parents take advantage of library programs much in the same way they take advantage of day care providers...it's not surprising to me that the entire staff of a library, being a very public building, could come down with flu like illnesses.
we go to the library every other week and I HATE IT! parents bring kids with nasty coughs stinky butts, and green runny nose and then let their ankle bitters run around the room while they sit and chat with their GF............it's horrible.

I hate going. when they hand out shaker toys I watch many kids shove them in their mouths and them throw them back in only to be handed back out later to the next shake song to different children. I don't know their sanitizing policy, but I honestly feel SOMEONE always comes down with something after our trip to the library. Our library hold 3 a day for 3 different age groups, we attend the last one and there are usually about 50+ people in one small room...YUCK.

BUT as silver said, this could happen anywhere.
Shell 04:39 PM 02-20-2014
Very true.
Reply Up