Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Changing Daycares
Unregistered 12:01 PM 03-15-2014
My daughter is 16 months and is currently in a home daycare with 2 others kids that are 12 months old. I have been looking for a center to put my daughter in when she turns 2 because the current provider cares for infants only. I found a center that would take my daughter now and I would be saving $500.00 month because I would qualify for there low income services. I currently work 2 jobs to pay for our expenses now. I need some advice on what to do.
Mister Sir Husband 07:16 PM 03-15-2014
Unless I am missing something here, this decision almost seems obvious. I would investigate the other center a bit more and if its looking like a place your daughter would be comfortable going to.. give your current provider notice and save yourself a few bucks by moving her.
Unregistered 08:05 PM 03-15-2014
I just don't know if moving her now or at 24 months would be better. I've checked out the center license and no citations the neighborhood isn't the greatest.
TwinKristi 08:37 PM 03-15-2014
8 mos times $500 equals $4000! If the center is where she's going anyway, why wait? Just give the applicable notice to your current provider and move her when you can.
Mister Sir Husband 06:40 AM 03-16-2014
I can now see your dilemma. Its been my experience that lot of parents seem to be more worried about the money and where they put their kids is decided primarily due to this. While it is true that keeping her where she is will cost you a bit more, if your not completely comfortable moving her now I would consider not doing it. Plus your current provider would be much happier having a few months notice that you are going as opposed to a couple weeks.

Did you get references from the center? Maybe talk to some of the other parents that have children close you the age yours is and see if they have any concerns about the place.
KidGrind 06:56 AM 03-16-2014
I think children have an incredible ability to adapt. I am not in your shoes and don’t know all the specifics.

If your budget can continue to stick with the infant provider, why leave before time? Your daughter is in a smaller ratio than a center. She is most likely enjoying some great one on one time with the provider.

If you’re struggling and a decrease in childcare expenses will greatly improve the quality of you and your daughter’s lives, I’d strongly consider making the switch. As others have mentioned, consider the location and quality of center before you decide to make a leap.

Good luck to you! I am hoping you make the best decision for you and your child.
blandino 12:01 PM 03-16-2014
Children do adapt quickly.

However, in my experience 16 months is a hard age to start a new daycare. I would say 12 months - 2, can be rough. They are old enough to know that everything is different, but to young to really understand what is going on. Some children don't have a rough time at this age, and some do. Also, she may have a rougher time at 24 months than at 16 months, or at least an equally rough time. You know your daughter, and can probably guess how she will adapt.

She will probably experience anxiety for the first few weeks, but that doesn't mean anything is wrong at the new daycare. It is just new and scary for those first few weeks. So don't feel like you have done anything wrong by moving her. It is normal, and you just have to give it time.
Tags:daycare choices
Reply Up