Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Safe Space Heater?
SilverSabre25 01:22 PM 01-21-2013
Due to various reasons (like, living in a house built in the 70s with one window downstairs still the original single pane glass and no real door across the laundry room doorway) the lower level of my house is coooooold in the winter. Especially when it's cold outside, like today and tomorrow when the highs are mid-teens, and getting close to zero at night.

In my bi-level home, the lower level is about half under ground level, so that's contributing to the coldness, too. This is our main play space. Any recs for a safe space heater I could use to at least take the edge off the chill down here?
Meyou 01:28 PM 01-21-2013
I don't have a "safe" one but I do use one surrounded by a superyard when I need it. I live in a 70 year old house that has windy areas its so drafty.
AnythingsPossible 01:28 PM 01-21-2013
Our licensing requirements forbid any type of space heater, but I know each state is different!
We have one that has a fan with a thermostat that you can set in our laundry room. What about one of those that looks like a fireplace but isn't? I have seen one advertised on QVC that says it doesn't get hot to touch. Not sure how that works! Our's does get warm to touch, but wouldn't burn. It is just a small unit but heats a room that is 12 by 16 when needed.
Nickel 01:31 PM 01-21-2013
I just saw one of those cool touch fireplaces at sams club
kitykids3 06:36 PM 01-21-2013
My licensing doesn't allow one either unless I have it up high out of reach (kind of defeats the purpose since heat rises) or surrounded by playyard.
SilverSabre25 06:39 PM 01-21-2013
licensing isn't a concern here

playard is doable; I have two superyards and a corner blocked off anyway for a litter box.

how much do they tend to cost?
CrackerJacks 08:25 PM 01-21-2013
This is what I use.. They work great. They don't heat up super hot, so unless a child is going to grab it and continue to hold onto it, it's not really a problem. I have a detached garage that is converted to an extra playroom. There is very little insulation so it gets cold. I have two of these heaters, one on each opposite side of the garage facing each other, on the oscillating function. I turn them on early in the AM and run them the majority of the day.. You can probably find similar heaters at different prices. But I think the ceramic heaters with the fan function is the type that works best.

http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-751320-C...ceramic+heater
Lyss 09:10 PM 01-21-2013
Our house is poorly insulated and our heater is from the 60s so its actually cheaper to use space heaters.

We have 2 of those Amish fireplaces (got separately as gifts) and they're great! I keep one in DD's room (as the heat is off at night) and one I use in a hallway between back bedrooms. I heat the hallway because the intake for our forced air system is right above it and I can circulate the heat from the Amish heater through our forced air system by using the fan option. Our heater tech actually recommended doing it that way to keep our electric bill from being $350+/mo. The fireplaces don't get hot at all.
mac60 05:53 AM 01-22-2013
The Eden Pure heaters are great. Infrared heat. They do not get warm/hot to the touch. They do not need to be placed "away" from things. The case does not get hot. Probably one of the most safe and economical means for zone heating. They are pricey, $200 to $400, depending on the size. Very low cost to run.
countrymom 05:59 AM 01-22-2013
I would just put them up higher or even get a electric fireplace (mine is cool to touch)
Tags:heater, heating, safety, space heater
Reply Up