Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Planning My Playroom
SilverSabre25 07:54 AM 02-04-2015
Gearing up for a large scale redo of my playroom and I'm planning the lay out. I feel like I'm missing something though. I have: quiet/reading area, kitchen/dramatic play, creative/art/sensory, table toys (math, fine motor, etc), and blocks/transportation. What am I missing?
Heidi 08:25 AM 02-04-2015
A writing station?
Pencils, small pieces or paper, a word book or letter book or poster, or a magnetic writing pad and some sand paper letters if your group isn't trustworthy with pencils yet?

A science area?
Plants to water, maybe a fish tank or other small pet, natural items to explore.
SilverSabre25 09:01 AM 02-04-2015
Good point. thanks Heidi!
Meeko 12:56 PM 02-04-2015
A nice comfy chair....just for you
Lovatic24 01:16 PM 02-04-2015
Large motor?
Controlled Chaos 01:18 PM 02-04-2015
I like Meeko's idea as I sit here with everything from the waist down dead asleep since I am sitting in a kid chair I need a grown up chair down here!

I have a reading corner, car rug, kitchen area, 2 tables and a shelf of 10 different things to taken out including blocks, little people, animals, puzzles, a board game, pegs and a wooden block threading kit. The shelf toys get rotated weekly. I also have a blackboard I love. I move my room around all the time, I get bored and keep trying to figure out exactly where things will create the best flow... I just added a large quilt in the corner with a bouncer chair since I have an infant coming soon and want my bog kids to get used to not touching that space before new lo joins us.

Not sure if this is helpful...I am a rambler
Heidi 02:18 PM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I like Meeko's idea as I sit here with everything from the waist down dead asleep since I am sitting in a kid chair I need a grown up chair down here!

I have a reading corner, car rug, kitchen area, 2 tables and a shelf of 10 different things to taken out including blacks, little people, animals, puzzles, a board game, pegs and a wooden black threading kit. The shelf toys get rotated weekly. I also have a blackboard I love. I move my room around all the time, I get bored and keep trying to figure out exactly where things will create the best flow... I just added a large quilt in the corner with a bouncer chair since I have an infant coming soon and want my bog kids to get used to not touching that space before new lo joins us.

Not sure if this is helpful...I am a rambler
ooops! I think you meant "blocks"
SilverSabre25 03:07 PM 02-04-2015
Comfy chair for me is definitely in the plan.

Large motor crossed my mind but I think it's going to have to be more a "move stuff aside and pull things out of closet" as I have only 325ish sqft of poorly laid out space to work with. Dunno how the reality will fit down there.

Controlled chaos, that was helpful actually. Don't sell yourself short! Infant corner is good too, I need to at least know where I'll put it if I get an infant. So, it's good to remember to plan for.
Controlled Chaos 09:26 PM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
ooops! I think you meant "blocks"
bahahahahaha

OOPS!

Sorry, about that lol...I will go fix my racist post...
SilverSabre25 02:25 PM 02-05-2015
Looking at moving my 5 gallon fish tank downstairs to the playroom. I'm looking at a 40in. High book shield to hold it. .. is this too tall for a toddler/preschooler to get a good look? It would sit on the top I think. Or should I get a shorter shelf?
permanentvacation 02:45 PM 02-05-2015
Yes, the chair for you is important! A local provider had me go to her house one day to give her suggestions on her new set up. I looked around and the first thing I said was, "Where are you going to sit?" She looked at me completely dazed and said, "Oh my God! I hadn't thought of that!"

I firmly believe that us adults deserve a comfortable chair for our size! I worked in a center that made the teachers sit in the little two foot high chairs that were made for the kids. I was like, if the kids get chairs for their size, why don't I deserve a chair that's designed for my size?
Reply Up