Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do you use the food program?
DaisyMamma 07:37 AM 05-24-2011
I'm contemplating using the food program but I hear it is a TON of paperwork. I'm not good with paperwork - at all. Is it worth it? I could easily just buy daycare snacks and drinks off the daycare bank account and write it off on my taxes, right?
daycare 07:39 AM 05-24-2011
I'm in CA so not sure how each state differs. I do all my paperwork online and it takes me about 5 min a day to get a $450 check at the end of the month.
I would not do daycare without it.
daycarelady68 07:44 AM 05-24-2011
I don't do it. I serve very simple meals & snacks that follow the state regs. For me it's worth it not to do it, I'd rather make a little less money than have a little more work to do and more regs to follow.
youretooloud 07:47 AM 05-24-2011
In our state it's a nightmare. ALL paperwork. Two sides, the parents have to sign in and out every day for each kid. YOU have to copy and print both sides (8 sheets a month) and save them for a year.

You have four unannounced visits a year. If anything at all is out of place, they dock you for a meal.

You have to attend one meeting a year (not bad at all)

Here you can HAVE six kids, but you can only claim four kids. If you are a U.S citizen it's almost impossible to be on Tier 1. On tier 2, you make about $189 a month, IF everybody signs in correctly, and you don't get docked for any meals.
MyAngels 08:32 AM 05-24-2011
It's easy where I am. I do almost everything online, and it takes very little time. I plan all menus for the week in advance, then just record attendance at meal times.

You do get three visits here per year, two are unannounced, but you also get training hours for that and for completing the little quizes in the monthly newsletter.

I also recently found out that a new law went into effect this year raising many providers to the higher reimbursement rates (myself included). My food rep said that if any school in the district you are attached to qualifies for the higher rates, then every provider in that district gets the higher rates. It used to be just the school you were attached to.

As far as taxes go, you still get to deduct for all meals and snacks, whether you are on the food program or not.
morgan24 08:42 AM 05-24-2011
I do it online, takes about 5 minutes. When I had a full house the check was around $500 a month. We get 2 unannounced visits a year and 1 is scheduled. My fp lady is really nice, and we get 1 hour of training per year. I think it's worth the money.
nannyde 08:50 AM 05-24-2011
It's easy.

Do it.

It's free money for what you are already doing.
snbauser 10:18 AM 05-24-2011
I do it. It is easy here. I do everything online with the exception of part of the initial enrollment. Parents do have to sign in and out daily, but that is a licensing requirement as well so we already do it. One training a year but it counts towards the annual licensing training hours so no big deal. 4 visits a year, all unannounced, but again not a big deal. She just makes sure all my records are up to date, takes attendance to make sure whomever I am claiming is actually here, and makes sure I am serving what I say I am serving and serving the right amounts. I have 12 kids and am on the higher tier and get anywhere between $800-$1000/month depending on how many kids are here for each meal.
Meeko 10:30 AM 05-24-2011
Five minutes a day on Minute Menu. Anywhere from $1000 to $1200 a month. It's a no brainer for me!
Unregistered 10:38 AM 05-24-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Five minutes a day on Minute Menu. Anywhere from $1000 to $1200 a month. It's a no brainer for me!
How many kids do you have? HOLY COW!
jojosmommy 10:41 AM 05-24-2011
In my area it's easy. Takes 5 min per day on the computer plus 1 training a year. FP lady comes 3 times per year and my kids like her. My payments range between 350-500 a month b/c of school schedules and I can not claim my own kids. It really helps pay for the food these kids are eating.
DaisyMamma 11:04 AM 05-24-2011
Those who are saying it's so easy and do everything online would you mind giving me some more information? Where do you do it online? How do I get more information to start it? Is it really by state? I thought it was through nafcc.
MyAngels 11:11 AM 05-24-2011
My licensing rep gave me the information when I first signed up, but that was years ago.

Maybe try: http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/cwp/view.asp?a=2626&q=321584

or this: http://www.cacfp.org/sponsor_details...te=Connecticut

I use Minute Menu, which I got through my food program sponsor.
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 05-24-2011
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
Those who are saying it's so easy and do everything online would you mind giving me some more information? Where do you do it online? How do I get more information to start it? Is it really by state? I thought it was through nafcc.
Most food program users use a program called MMK or Minute Menu Kids. Depending on what state you are in, you can check their local website and see the software at work by downloading the free demo. I believe the food program is a federally funded program that is run by agencies within each state. The guidelines should be basically the same as far as federal rules go but I have noticed that a few states have some differing requirments. You should be able to find some more information at this site:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/care/
lil angels 11:14 AM 05-24-2011
I do mine online to. You have to call your local child care resource and referal Or licenser they can tell you who to get in touch with. You will have a training to start it and most times someone will come to your house to get you started and then you have a program that they put on your computer so that you can record what you are feeding the kids each day and who you are feeding each day. The start up seems like a pain but it is really simple once you get going on it. I am in a different state so you will have different rules but it is worth getting into. Plus I also get a free 2 hr training every year.
Meeko 11:14 AM 05-24-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How many kids do you have? HOLY COW!
We are a family group. Licensed for 16 kids. We have 20 on the books as we have kids who come while the "schoolies" are gone during the day. Tier one on the food program (which is what makes a huge difference.)
youretooloud 11:31 AM 05-24-2011
I wish my state didn't make it so hard. I honestly think they make it hard to get rid of the program.
juliebug 12:06 PM 05-24-2011
I love it easy for me all online and only a few forms when they first start then one signature once a year.
DaisyMamma 12:59 PM 05-24-2011
Thank you everyone!
jen2651 02:37 PM 05-24-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
In my area it's easy. Takes 5 min per day on the computer plus 1 training a year. FP lady comes 3 times per year and my kids like her. My payments range between 350-500 a month b/c of school schedules and I can not claim my own kids. It really helps pay for the food these kids are eating.
I was told that as long as my kids are of daycare age, I can claim them too...
daycare 03:05 PM 05-24-2011
here in ca we can claim our own children, but have to be low income qualified... which I am not so I cannot claim any meals my child eats.... you should check with your state. Most require you to be low income to claim you own.
Stacy214 04:03 PM 05-24-2011
I absolutely would do it...I have to fill out the menus and the attendance daily, it's somewhat of a pain but worth the money! I get about $375 a month so every little bit helps.
I'm going to check out the minute menu too, I think we are starting to use that here in NC.
snbauser 04:32 PM 05-24-2011
Originally Posted by Stacy214:
I absolutely would do it...I have to fill out the menus and the attendance daily, it's somewhat of a pain but worth the money! I get about $375 a month so every little bit helps.
I'm going to check out the minute menu too, I think we are starting to use that here in NC.
I am in NC and have been using MMK with my food program for 3 or 4 years now.
Reply Up