Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Have An In Home Daycare Not In Their Home?
athomemommy 10:25 AM 06-24-2011
I am having thoughts of expanding and moving my daycare out of my home. People call weekly asking to me to watch their kids, Just looking for advice and guidance.
Country Kids 10:36 AM 06-24-2011
I don't think it would be considered an in home daycare if its not in your home. Also, if you are wanting to expand you may have to go up from a in home daycare and become a small center and there is alot to do to get ready for something like that.
Blackcat31 10:54 AM 06-24-2011
I run my family child care business from a home that I do not live in. It is licensed as family child care and in a residential area. Nothing specialized or changed about it, just a two bedroom home with garage and yard that I purchased strictly for child care.
Childminder 12:03 PM 06-24-2011
In MI we have to reside in the home.
Meeko 12:09 PM 06-24-2011
Utah rules say you must actually LIVE in the home you do day care from. I used to. Now I live in the next city over and my son lives in the day care home...and is now the actual licensee even though I still run the business. It's very stupid really. It makes it hard to have a group home. Many women do group together. But what if one is the director and works the longest hours but they actually provide the care in the other persons home? The one who works the least is actually the licensee! SILLY!

It's a pain for me because the state (for clients on subsidy) say they are paying my son as he's the licensee. Fact is every penny goes into MY account! He has to file tax paperwork to show he receives the income but hands it all over to me. Then I pay him. AAaahhhh!!!
sharlan 02:33 PM 06-24-2011
In CA, you must live in the home.
CheekyChick 02:39 PM 06-24-2011
My child care business is run from my home. It's 2,400 square feet and we use approximately 1,800 square feet of that for the business. My family is smushed into a tiny portion of the house which is a little tight at times.
rbmom 03:59 PM 06-24-2011
I was just thinking about a seperate location from my home as well. Not soon as I would like to start my CDA first and maybe hire helpers. Probably will be more like a small center in that case. Not sure thats what I want either, LOL!
Sugar Magnolia 04:01 PM 06-24-2011
I have a small center. Its licensed as a facility, not a home day care. I have tons and tons to say on this topic....interested in hearing more details?
Christina72684 06:54 PM 06-24-2011
I moved out of the house I was living in to turn it into a daycare home. It's about 1,000 sq feet and there was no way I was going to live it it and have a daycare. I can see the pros to living in a daycare home (not having to drive anywhere before and after, easier not having to wake my daughter every morning to leave, etc) but I see more cons. I don't want to live at my work, I don't want to be surrounded by toys, I have a very large dog that I don't want to be around a lot of kids, etc. I just opened a few weeks ago and don't have very many kids yet, so it's going to be hard to balance two house payments and other bills for a while, but once we get full I think it will be okay.
rbmom 08:13 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I have a small center. Its licensed as a facility, not a home day care. I have tons and tons to say on this topic....interested in hearing more details?
Not to hijack the post but YES I am interested in hearing your view on pros and cons of having facility. PM me if needed. Thanks!
Sugar Magnolia 03:50 PM 06-27-2011
rbdmom: I tried to send you a PM but it didn't seem to be working (?) Anyways, yes we have a small center, we don't live there, its licensed as a facility. We bought the property as residential, but its prominent location in downtown made it ideal for a child care center. We had to go through a LOT to get the proper zoning, THAT was the biggest challenge. Once we accomplished that, we were able to operate our center of 15 kids with me as Director and Teacher, my husband as Facility Manager and Teacher, and we have a pt staffer from 8:30-12:30. Its a great business model for the right couple, with some paid help. Please PM me if you want to discuss.
rbmom 07:11 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
rbdmom: I tried to send you a PM but it didn't seem to be working (?) Anyways, yes we have a small center, we don't live there, its licensed as a facility. We bought the property as residential, but its prominent location in downtown made it ideal for a child care center. We had to go through a LOT to get the proper zoning, THAT was the biggest challenge. Once we accomplished that, we were able to operate our center of 15 kids with me as Director and Teacher, my husband as Facility Manager and Teacher, and we have a pt staffer from 8:30-12:30. Its a great business model for the right couple, with some paid help. Please PM me if you want to discuss.
Thanks so much for the information! Definitely something I am going to consider as soon as I get my training finished.
55CMK83 07:19 PM 06-28-2011
I am a licensed provider in Minnesota and do daycare in a seperate house that was bought for "daycare". I am considered home daycare even though we do not reside in it. I am listed as an LLC as I would strongly recomend you doing if you decide to go this route. This protects your "personal" belongings - as to if you got sued at your daycare, they can not touch anything at the home where you reside.
BabyMomma 07:49 PM 08-04-2011
I am considering this and did not want to start in my home either. It's not an ideal. The village I reside in is too restrictive. They dictate not only the max number of kids allowed, but also the number of kids a certain age you're allowed to keep regardless of assistance, etc. This is outside of what the licensing reps. have approved. Oyyy!
athomemommy 12:49 PM 10-10-2011
I looked in to it. In IL you have to be in your home,
Tags:in home daycare
Reply Up