Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>follow up on battery operated toys.
thetoddlerwhisper 09:18 AM 12-12-2013
yesterday there was a post on where someone pulled battery operated toys and was replacing with more creative stuff. it kind of inspired me to do the same. i pulled it all and looking now it let my shelves empty. im in tennessee center care with 2yr olds and were on the star scale. according to my paperwork i have to have 2 manipulatives per child and im down to 8 total 6 kids) not including puzzles. im really gonna need manipulative ideas and fine motor stuff. along with some block and dramatic play to replace my little people sets. didnt realize how many battery toys we had. i have stacking rings and wooden abc blocks in storage to pull for manipulatives. does anyone have any at home handmade ideas i can use until i get a chance to toy hunt?

fine motor i have popbeads, chainlinks, soft abc blocks, duplo, bead maze, magna doodle, stacking cups, a magnetic puzzle.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:39 AM 12-12-2013
we have little people- I just pulled out the batteries so they need to make the noise.
Do you have dinosaurs or animals?
thetoddlerwhisper 09:41 AM 12-12-2013
i have dinos outs. and am actually digging in storage room right now or the others. now that you mention just pulling batteries on little people. would that work with their play computers as well?
BumbleBee 09:53 AM 12-12-2013
I pulled the batteries out of the Little People sets. The Vtech toys (ladybug shape thing and a turtle alphabet story thing) "mysteriously" stopped working too. The Leap Frog octopus & drum don't have batteries either.

I, personally, leave the batteries in the computer type toys BUT I limit how often they use them.

Manipulatives for 2's could be mega blocks, plastic/wooden animals, stacking cups, foam blocks, shape sorters, cars/trucks

HTH!
thetoddlerwhisper 09:54 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I pulled the batteries out of the Little People sets. The Vtech toys (ladybug shape thing and a turtle alphabet story thing) "mysteriously" stopped working too. The Leap Frog octopus & drum don't have batteries either.

I, personally, leave the batteries in the computer type toys BUT I limit how often they use them.

Manipulatives for 2's could be mega blocks, plastic/wooden animals, stacking cups, foam blocks

HTH!
our computer toys just have buttons that make noise no actual games.
thetoddlerwhisper 09:56 AM 12-12-2013
the only toy im really really on the line about leaving out with batteries is the leapfrog opposite toy that does on/off big/little etc. one of my boys loves repeating the words and asd dcb likes the buttons on it
melilley 10:27 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by athacker:
i have dinos outs. and am actually digging in storage room right now or the others. now that you mention just pulling batteries on little people. would that work with their play computers as well?
I have a play computer without batteries and the kids still love it. My kids are all 2 and under except for one 3 yo.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:27 AM 12-12-2013
the only toy im really really on the line about leaving out with batteries is the leapfrog opposite toy that does on/off big/little etc. one of my boys loves repeating the words and asd dcb likes the buttons on it
I have the leap frog frig phonics and a leap pad that I use the Richard Scarry book with. I don't "leave these out" they are used intentionally when I need them There is a time for those but I do not consider them "play".

Food, dishes, blocks, cars, stacking cups, peg boards... there are so many "good toys" for imaginative play. A little laundry basket with washclothes in it can be manipulatives. We can fold, stack them etc.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:28 AM 12-12-2013
pom poms... my kids love a basket of the big pom poms!
melilley 10:29 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:

Manipulatives for 2's could be mega blocks, plastic/wooden animals, stacking cups, foam blocks, shape sorters, cars/trucks

HTH!
Isn't it funny how things "mysteriously" stop working.

I have a few battery operated toys that stopped working and I keep telling the kids who understand, that I have to buy more batteries but always "forget".
Meyou 10:43 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
pom poms... my kids love a basket of the big pom poms!
My kids looooove pom poms too. They play with them every single day. It never gets old.
Evansmom 10:48 AM 12-12-2013
May I suggest writing rid of the electronic toys in phases? Like say phase one, take out the batteries ie:"it broke" then phase two slowly replace each toy with a different one or set of manipulatives. That way it's not really an issue with the kids, like they don't really notice anything is gone, they're just happy they got new toys!

I'm all for open ended toys. We have blocks, a Bilibo (if you can buy two of those do it!! They are awesome!!), we have huge colorful scarves.
thetoddlerwhisper 10:54 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
May I suggest writing rid of the electronic toys in phases? Like say phase one, take out the batteries ie:"it broke" then phase two slowly replace each toy with a different one or set of manipulatives. That way it's not really an issue with the kids, like they don't really notice anything is gone, they're just happy they got new toys!

I'm all for open ended toys. We have blocks, a Bilibo (if you can buy two of those do it!! They are awesome!!), we have huge colorful scarves.
bilibo?
melilley 10:55 AM 12-12-2013
bilibo?
I had to look it up! It looks fun, but is on the expensive side.
thetoddlerwhisper 10:56 AM 12-12-2013
i just googled as well. i bet itd be great in my gross motor room. might start watching or deals and coupons
thetoddlerwhisper 11:09 AM 12-12-2013
just found a huge stash of toys i bought at a yardsale last summer. i dont know how i forgot about these
Stepping 11:34 AM 12-12-2013
Some of our current favorites (sorry if I repeat some already suggested, I'm thinking off the top of my head):

Large plastic buttons to sort, pour dump etc into cups
Pom poms to sort, pour, dump etc
Plastic tweezers to pick up the Pom poms
Large beads and threading laces
Lacing cards
Stacking cups
Shape sorters
Small balls with holes (from dollar store) and thread pipe cleaners through the holes.

I got a lot of ideas from pinterest
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:39 AM 12-12-2013
oh and right now top favorite- old Christmas cards
melilley 11:42 AM 12-12-2013
My kids LOVE sensory activities. Last week I put noodles is colanders and bowls and gave them a bunch of kitchen utensils. They played for like an hour!
thetoddlerwhisper 11:43 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by Stepping:
Some of our current favorites (sorry if I repeat some already suggested, I'm thinking off the top of my head):

Large plastic buttons to sort, pour dump etc into cups
Pom poms to sort, pour, dump etc
Plastic tweezers to pick up the Pom poms
Large beads and threading laces
Lacing cards
Stacking cups
Shape sorters
Small balls with holes (from dollar store) and thread pipe cleaners through the holes.

I got a lot of ideas from pinterest
im on pintrest right now lol just found a homemade geoboard. where do u find buttons that arent choking hazards?
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
oh and right now top favorite- old Christmas cards
junk mail and catalog's are super fun too!
thetoddlerwhisper 11:47 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
My kids LOVE sensory activities. Last week I put noodles is colanders and bowls and gave them a bunch of kitchen utensils. They played for like an hour!
we cant use any food or play drives me crazy. and makes sand table frustrating.....at least rice or noodles would be easy cleanup next to sand
Meyou 12:08 PM 12-12-2013
we cant use any food or play drives me crazy. and makes sand table frustrating.....at least rice or noodles would be easy cleanup next to sand
Puzzle pieces, pom poms and "gems" (those flat stones used for filling vases) are our favorite non-food bin fillers.

ETA: A big bucket of snow inside is always a winner too.
thetoddlerwhisper 12:12 PM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Puzzle pieces, pom poms and "gems" (those flat stones used for filling vases) are our favorite non-food bin fillers.

ETA: A big bucket of snow inside is always a winner too.
like adult jigsaw pieces?
Meyou 12:17 PM 12-12-2013
like adult jigsaw pieces?
Yep, I just used old puzzles with missing pieces and dumped them all into a container. You could grab a couple of puzzles for cheap on clearance. I have 3 1000 piece puzzles in the tote I think.
thetoddlerwhisper 12:19 PM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Yep, I just used old puzzles with missing pieces and dumped them all into a container. You could grab a couple of puzzles for cheap on clearance. I have 3 1000 piece puzzles in the tote I think.
think ill hit goodwill this weekend get a couple diff puzzles with diff shaped/size puzzle pieces
Reply Up