Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Input On Wording And Changes?
childcaremom 06:12 AM 02-02-2014
I am in the process of raising my rates and changing my hours. I am looking for some input on the price increase and wording my notice.

I currently charge $30. Incoming families I am charging $35. I would like to raise to $35 but am thinking that is too much. Would $32 be more acceptable?

Also, I am changing my hours, and it affects 2 of my 3 families. It is more important to me to have the new hours than keep the families.

And lastly, changes don't take effect for 2 months but I would like to know by the end of the week whether or not this is acceptable to them. Is that enough notice or should I give them more time?

This is what I have written:

Rate Increase
As of April 7, 2014, the daily tuition rate will be increasing to $35.00. Your bi-weekly tuition payments will now be $350.00.

Hour changes
I am increasingly feeling a time crunch between business and family obligations. It is therefore necessary to change my hours of operation.
As of April 7, 2014, childcare will be available between the hours of 7 am and 5 pm only. A closing time of 5 pm means that children are picked up, readied and departed my property by 5 pm. Later departures will no longer be accommodated.
I have enclosed a contract with the new changes. Please sign and return by February 7, 2014 at drop off.
These business changes are in the best interest of my family. I understand that this may result in some difficult decisions. If you are unable to accommodate these changes, please return the enclosed withdrawal notice by February 7, 2014 at drop off. Please remember that I require 3 weeks written notice of withdrawal accompanied by the final three weeks of tuition.

Thanks for any advice!
NoMoreJuice! 06:44 AM 02-02-2014
That sounds great to me! It is unemotional and businesslike and sounds very professional. I wouldn't change a thing!

You're totally right to put your family first, IMO. Good for you!
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 02-02-2014
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Hour changes
I am increasingly feeling a time crunch between business and family obligations. It is therefore necessary to change my hours of operation.
As of April 7, 2014, childcare will be available between the hours of 7 am and 5 pm only. A closing time of 5 pm means that children are picked up, readied and departed my property by 5 pm.
Later departures will no longer be accommodated.

I have enclosed a contract with the new changes. Please sign and return by February 7, 2014 at drop off.

These business changes are in the best interest of my family. I understand that this may result in some difficult decisions. If you are unable to accommodate these changes, please return the enclosed withdrawal notice by February 7, 2014 at drop off.

Please remember that I require 3 weeks written notice of withdrawal accompanied by the final three weeks of tuition.
Personally, I would remove the red sentences.

They are about your family. I don't share that sort of thing with my clients.

Especially the first one where you say you are feeling the pull between work and family....that makes it sound like you are having a tough time managing work and family...(a red flag for parents wanting solid, dependable care )

Clients don't need to always know the why behind your policies...just what they are. If the client cannot manage your new hours/rates, then you gave them an option of withdrawing from your care. That is really all you need to include.

Otherwise, I don't think anything you have is too much.

Good for you for putting your family first too!
Evansmom 01:38 PM 02-02-2014
I agree with BC. I have found it is always better to leave the personal out. This is a business decision for you, leave it at that.
itlw8 01:42 PM 02-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Especially the first one where you say you are feeling the pull between work and family....that makes it sound like you are having a tough time managing work and family...(a red flag for parents wanting solid, dependable care )

Clients don't need to always know the why behind your policies...just what they are. If the client cannot manage your new hours/rates, then you gave them an option of withdrawing from your care. That is really all you need to include.

I agree
childcaremom 03:28 PM 02-02-2014
Thanks all!
CraftyMom 06:28 PM 02-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This is good advice. I recently changed my hours as well, just my opening time. I went into detail about why and putting my family first. My husband was telling me the same as black cat. They don't need to know why, if it doesn't work for them they've had plenty of notice to make new arrangements. Of course I didn't listen to him, but should have! I also wish I stuck to my guns about not making exceptions with the new time. I allowed two families to come 10 minutes early and regret it (3 kids out of 4).10 minutes makes a big difference! Overall though, I am sooo glad I made the change!It has made a huge difference (another part of de-stressing plan). I hope your new time helps you as much as mine has!
Reply Up