Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When You Think You Have Heard It All
laundrymom 10:16 AM 11-16-2010
ok, I seriously just had a call for childcare ,.. they wanted to know if I was of a mixed race? caught me off guard but I said yes, Im mexican, english, italian, indian, american indian, african american and chinese,... They said no thank you, they wanted someone with a white background,...

hmmm,..yeah,.. they wouldnt fit in here.

Some people amaze me.
of course Im not positive about the african american and chinese but I threw it in there, lol I am proud to call myself a mutt. =-)
I just dont get it,.. in todays society, especially in the US we are such a mixed group of people, So many traditions, cultures and backgrounds. So many flowers make a beautiful garden,.. you know? Especially when the colors are bright, friendly and vibrant. I just do not see how someone can still be so close minded and unwilling to change. I truly feel sorry for the children in that home. I like my little bubble I live in. Its nice here, the people are short, and most still poo their pants,.. but they are LOVING, and open hearted
TGT09 10:24 AM 11-16-2010
WOW, just WOW! Your quick on your toes!
laundrymom 10:27 AM 11-16-2010
could you imagine if the roles were reversed? can you say,.. LAWSUIT?
kendallina 10:29 AM 11-16-2010
Wow!
TGT09 10:30 AM 11-16-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
could you imagine if the roles were reversed? can you say,.. LAWSUIT?
NO KIDDING!!!!!!
momofsix 11:10 AM 11-16-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
ok, I seriously just had a call for childcare ,.. they wanted to know if I was of a mixed race? caught me off guard but I said yes, Im mexican, english, italian, indian, american indian, african american and chinese,... They said no thank you, they wanted someone with a white background,...

hmmm,..yeah,.. they wouldnt fit in here.

Some people amaze me.
of course Im not positive about the african american and chinese but I threw it in there, lol I am proud to call myself a mutt. =-)
I just dont get it,.. in todays society, especially in the US we are such a mixed group of people, So many traditions, cultures and backgrounds. So many flowers make a beautiful garden,.. you know? Especially when the colors are bright, friendly and vibrant. I just do not see how someone can still be so close minded and unwilling to change. I truly feel sorry for the children in that home. I like my little bubble I live in. Its nice here, the people are short, and most still poo their pants,.. but they are LOVING, and open hearted
How sad, and it's especially sad that he was so blatantly out loud racist-he didn't even try to cover it up He had absoutely no regards for your feellings at all. And that means his kids are definitely hearing it at home. Some people are just ignorant, but some people like him are just hateful.
I'm so sorry you had to listen to him.
TGT09 11:14 AM 11-16-2010
I've been thinking about this for the last bit since I read it. I think you are lucky that it was brought out long before you even interviewed that way you wouldn't have kids that were susceptible to that ignorance. :-( How awful!
BentleysBands 11:37 AM 11-16-2010
wow!! if anything, YOU would teach their children LOTS of wonderful things i'm sure!!
i'm appalled they would ask that

i take any race/gender/religion . so long as they can speak clear english and theres no barrior to what they understand and can communicate kwim?
MommyMuffin 11:38 AM 11-16-2010
That is sad! That is mean! There will always be close minded sheltered people in the world. With an attitude like theres they will miss out of some great providers...YOU!
TGT09 11:51 AM 11-16-2010
I think what I said was misinterpreted and that's not what I meant. Laundrymom hope you didn't take it wrong.
laundrymom 11:59 AM 11-16-2010
no worries,.. I was dumbfounded,.. took a minute,.. and responded to her. I wish I would have had her phone number or name,. but she called my landline with no caller id. I just dont understand. I would have liked to show her that a garden or menu with only one food,.. is boring bland and doesnt supply for ones needs. much like a life with no variety of cultures.....

Originally Posted by TGT09:
I think what I said was misinterpreted and that's not what I meant. Laundrymom hope you didn't take it wrong.

marniewon 12:09 PM 11-16-2010
WOW!! I cannot believe they asked you that!! If someone asked me that I would end the interview right then and there - race has no bearing on how good of a daycare provider I am, and if someone thinks it does, I don't want anything to do with them. Race also doesn't change the way I care for kids. I just cannot believe there are still small minded people in this world who think race does matter!
Unregistered 12:35 PM 11-16-2010
I once had someone call and ask if I was white. They said they liked my add because I had a 'white-sounding' name. I told them where to go. Sorry that you had to deal with that!
melskids 01:37 PM 11-16-2010
i would have said something stupid and sarcastic back like "yeah i'm half vulcan and half android"

missnikki 04:51 PM 11-16-2010
FYI to that moron-

There is no such thing as a 'white background' (Except in art )

WHITE is not a race, it is a color. When someone who 'is white' is asked their background, do you think their answer is "white."?
Tags:bad parent, biased, interviews, racial
Reply Up