Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Overslept On Your First Arrivals?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 04:04 AM 11-23-2010
Have any of you ever overslept on your first arrivals of the day? My first kids come at 5:30a.m. and in the past 2 years I have overslept on this mom a handful of times. I feel so terrible! She knocks really loud and I hear her and get right up but half awake with bed head, LOL.

It's only the nights I have a hard night...if I'm sick and have trouble sleeping or if my youngest daughter (age 5 now) has a bad night and won't sleep well.

I guess I'm not too much of a morning person, but when my body is sick, it's so hard..I just fall back to sleep after hitting snooze on the alarm clock. Anyone else do this or do I earn the bad provider of the year award??
marniewon 04:11 AM 11-23-2010
I've been doing dc for a year now and I've overslept once. No idea why, it just happened. I woke up when she pulled in the driveway (which is very strange because I am a very heavy sleeper and would usually never hear something like that!!).

Nothing like having to jump up, get dressed, brush teeth, in 2 seconds to get the blood pumping!! LOL
CKSher 04:20 AM 11-23-2010
I have never had that happen to me, but that has always been a big fear of mine! I check my alarm 3x a day just to make sure I have set my alarm. I am also fortunate enough to not have my first families arrive until 7am, I can't imagine trying to be ready for 5:30am, I would be dragging all day long! No wonder your body won't cooperate!! I wouldn't feel to bad, it can happen to anyone and at least you woke up to let them in.
nikia 04:26 AM 11-23-2010
Oh yeah I've done this with the family that gets here at 530 its not everyday to I have a hard time getting up lol. No worries you don't get bad provider award.
juliebug 04:31 AM 11-23-2010
yes i have but my hubby was up and left that morning so she walked in and called up to me! lol i felt awful but she was one of my oldest daycare kids so at least i was glad it was her insted of my new family!
Luna 04:42 AM 11-23-2010
I haven't done this yet, but I'm sure I will one of these days! I can STILL remember when I was a kid (I'm 52) and going to daycare, and one day the sitter was still in bed when we arrived. I thought it was hilarious! I think I was surprised to find out that she actually slept I also remember mentioning it to her while I was still in care some time later and she didn't remember it happening.
laundrymom 05:07 AM 11-23-2010
Only a handful of times. And wow it really gets you awake fast. I had a family who used to get here at 330. I'm so glad they are grown lol. I get the calls now around 415-420 saying I'm out front can you let me in? I tell them I'm in the bathroom and will open the door at 430. Just like every day. I don't mind if they call or text me early if they roads are bad or it's foggy, letting me know they need to drop off early. But calling from my drive gets no faster response from me.
marniewon 05:10 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Only a handful of times. And wow it really gets you awake fast. I had a family who used to get here at 330. I'm so glad they are grown lol. I get the calls now around 415-420 saying I'm out front can you let me in? I tell them I'm in the bathroom and will open the door at 430. Just like every day. I don't mind if they call or text me early if they roads are bad or it's foggy, letting me know they need to drop off early. But calling from my drive gets no faster response from me.
I couldn't even imagine getting up that early for clients!! I am so not a morning person, and to me, getting up for my 7:45 drop-off is way too early! Could not even imagine being awake at 3:30!!
laundrymom 05:18 AM 11-23-2010
It's the only time I get the house to myself. Lol I routinely wake between 3&330.
countrymom 05:18 AM 11-23-2010
I did yesterday, I just managed to get down the stairs and open the door when the first ones arrived, darn dh, he didn't call me in the morning and wake me up. So today he woke me up before he went to work and he called me too.
Crystal 06:01 AM 11-23-2010
I have never done it. One of the reason I started my daycare was because the last provider I had had to be woken up almost EVERY day.....to the point of me having to walk around her house banging on windows to get her up. I hated it.
BentleysBands 06:05 AM 11-23-2010
i have

its not a big deal , we are all human, i think haha

why should a parent get mad because i overslept by accident when they cant even call when THEY will be late ?!?!
MyAngels 06:11 AM 11-23-2010
No, I've never done this, either, but I open at 7:00 a.m. I don't know what would happen if I had to get up much earlier than that .
MARSTELAC 06:19 AM 11-23-2010
Ah yes. Today. Woke up at 4 something, went back to bed...oops. I open at 7 but first one called last night and asked if I could start at 6:30. Sure. I jumped in shower at 6 and started to dress in my room and heard people coming in at 6:25. I hollered out for them to just come in and put their stuff away and that I'd be right out. I hate opening early but I REALLY hate when people are 5 minutes earlier than early!!! I can do wonders with hair and make-up in that 5 minutes! I think I might start locking the door until the clock shows the time I am opening that particular day!
TGT09 06:31 AM 11-23-2010
A handful of times but my first child comes to the door by herself while her mom waits in the drive to make sure she gets in ok. I'm a very light sleeper and have only slept through the doorbell once and that's because we use to sleep in the basement....that was actually just a few weeks ago.
CKSher 07:25 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
Ah yes. Today. Woke up at 4 something, went back to bed...oops. I open at 7 but first one called last night and asked if I could start at 6:30. Sure. I jumped in shower at 6 and started to dress in my room and heard people coming in at 6:25. I hollered out for them to just come in and put their stuff away and that I'd be right out. I hate opening early but I REALLY hate when people are 5 minutes earlier than early!!! I can do wonders with hair and make-up in that 5 minutes! I think I might start locking the door until the clock shows the time I am opening that particular day!
I always lock my doors in the morning!!! I had a parent that was always showing up 10-15mins early, even when we kept reminding her that we were not open yet. Finally, we just told her that the door will be locked until 7am so please do not bother coming before then as you will be unable to get in the house. She still arrives early on a regular basis (it drives me nuts, becuase I can't relax knowing she is here), but at least she stays in her car and talks on her phone until my door opens!
DCMomOf3 07:29 AM 11-23-2010
I have once or twice. At least they didn't mind. LOL
SilverSabre25 08:34 AM 11-23-2010
Yeah it happens periodically.
katie 09:08 AM 11-23-2010
Someone just put they fix their hair and makeup! I'm not that good. My first arrival is at 7:15. I'm so not a morning person. I lay on the couch about 7:00 cause sometimes she is early by about 10 minutes. Sometimes I fall back asleep. I know she is here b/c of the click of her high heels. Lol. Yesterday I fell asleep and heard her. When I jumped up I tripped on a rubber ball and stumbled to the door right in front of them. It is my worst fear though. I have cut it close before by like 1 minute.
Unregistered 10:21 AM 11-23-2010
I'm pretty bad about it, to be honest. I just make sure to do as much as I can the night before so that if I'm woken up by my first arrival, I can be ready in a minute or 2.
misol 11:46 AM 11-23-2010
Luckily I've always made it to the door in just the the nick of time and have never kept a parent waiting. Sometimes though, I straighten up the playroom in the mornings rather than the night before and I've often woken up too late to straighten up before the first kid arrives.

I am sure it's just a matter of time for me though. I just took on a client that now arrives 2.5 hours before my earliest dcb used to arrive and I am SO NOT a morning person
kidkair 12:33 PM 11-23-2010
Only once and my husband and I weren't really sleeping. Recently I came down and unlocked the door, switched my sign to open, and then continued opening curtains and such when my first client starts knocking on the door. I had accidentally relocked the door after changing the sign!
Abigail 01:55 PM 11-23-2010
For those who open EARLY EARLY, do you stay up the entire morning (someone gets up at 3 am?!)

Originally Posted by kidkair:
Only once and my husband and I weren't really sleeping. Recently I came down and unlocked the door, switched my sign to open, and then continued opening curtains and such when my first client starts knocking on the door. I had accidentally relocked the door after changing the sign!
Where is your open/close sign? Is it on your front door? This is cute, but I will only use part of the house and don't even want people coming to my front door. LOL
tenderhearts 02:30 PM 11-23-2010
It has never happened to me but it's one of my fears too. It's funny because I do exactly what CKSher does, I check my alarm a million times a day to be sure it's set right. I'm always afraid my alarm clock will malfunction.
kidkair 03:08 PM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Where is your open/close sign? Is it on your front door? This is cute, but I will only use part of the house and don't even want people coming to my front door. LOL
I have it just outside the front door attached to the side of the house. I have a clock right above it so if anyone is early they know when I'll actually open the door. I have it attached with velcro so it doesn't blow away too often. My front door is actually a lot like at lot of people's back doors. My front yard is the larger fenced yard and my backyard barely exists. My driveway is up front too so we use the front door way more often then the back.
nannyde 03:15 PM 11-23-2010
No I haven't overslept once in 17 years.

I get up two hours before the kids get here. I don't ever want the parents to see me tired. I like to be up and completely on the go when the first one comes.
Unregistered 03:29 PM 11-23-2010
Even though I oversleep quite a bit, I am a very light sleeper and I wake up pretty alert, so it works out. It's hard to tell if I just woke up which works to my advantage.
marniewon 03:41 PM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
No I haven't overslept once in 17 years.

I get up two hours before the kids get here. I don't ever want the parents to see me tired. I like to be up and completely on the go when the first one comes.
If I got up 2 hours before everyone got here, I'd definitely LOOK tired by the time they got here!! Of course, if I could ever get a good night's sleep, it might be different!
marniewon 03:43 PM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
It has never happened to me but it's one of my fears too. It's funny because I do exactly what CKSher does, I check my alarm a million times a day to be sure it's set right. I'm always afraid my alarm clock will malfunction.
I have a dual alarm clock that is set for dh and myself (set half an hour early for me) AND I set TWO alarms on my phone - one for the same time as the alarm clock and one 15 minutes later. Yeah, I'm a little obsessive about it....one of my big fears too!
daysofelijah 03:47 PM 11-23-2010
Just one time a couple years ago when I had by dd was a baby and must of had a really bad night. The mom had to knock and knock and finally had to call on her cell phone before I heard anything and got up. I felt bad, but luckily it has only happened the once.

I did have a dad that would forget to tell me he was coming early (like 5:30) a couple times and I was still in bed, but that was his fault, not mine.
laundrymom 03:54 PM 11-23-2010
Yes I stay up. I normally get up around 330-4. I am one of those people who getting 4 hours of sleep each night is fine. I even am up at 5 on weekends. And I am in bed by 11/12.

Originally Posted by Abigail:
For those who open EARLY EARLY, do you stay up the entire morning (someone gets up at 3 am?!)

MarinaVanessa 04:03 PM 11-23-2010
It hasn't happened to me yet thank goodness and I have to admit that now that I have the new baby it's much easier for me to get up early. Usually I got up at 5:30 am to be ready for my first client at 6 am. The baby wakes up at 5 am so I'm awake by then now so no chance of me sleeping in now .
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:34 PM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Yes I stay up. I normally get up around 330-4. I am one of those people who getting 4 hours of sleep each night is fine. I even am up at 5 on weekends. And I am in bed by 11/12.
Oh my dear goodness..I wouldn't be able to function. That would be bad for my body..do you nap at all? That seems like such little sleep to me for everyday living.
laundrymom 06:05 PM 11-23-2010
No naps. I stay up until I'm tired then wake up when I'm ready. Usually around 330/345. I always set my alarm on my phone. But am usually on my second load of laundry by the time it goes off. If I nap I get migraines. Weird I know but I've never required much sleep.
Tags:overslept
Reply Up