Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dumbest Question Of The Year....
Countrygal 06:35 PM 08-30-2012
I am going to ask a question and probably get the dumbest question of the year award. Sometimes I swear I'm getting alzheimer's.....

But here goes anyway.....

I am having an issue trying to solve one thing the certifier picked up on today. She mentioned that I can't have my knives I am cooking with sitting on my kitchen counter. OK, I understand the thought behind this. The clean knives I'll just dry and put away right away, not a problem. But what do I do with the dirty knives that are waiting to be washed??? I'm totally discombobulated by this one.... Where do I put my dirty knives when I have prepared lunch, but haven't done dishes until after lunch???

I know, stoopid question.... I just can't think of a place! I mean, up out of the kids' reach when they're standing on a stool. How do the rest of you handle this one? I'm sorry to be so dense..... I feel really dumbbbbbbb. I mean, even a dishwasher wouldn't qualify unless it was somehow locked.
familyschoolcare 06:37 PM 08-30-2012
I put mine in the dishwasher and lock it even if I am not ready to run the dishwasher

NOt sure if this will actually meet the requirments this is something I never thought of
daycare 06:41 PM 08-30-2012
I wash mine by hand right when I'm done using it an store them in the same Place in my high cupboard behind the plates.

I just had an inspection and passed
sharlan 06:41 PM 08-30-2012
I either put them in the dishwasher or on the back of the counter behind the faucet. I had two there (behind the faucet) last week when I had the inspection.
familyschoolcare 06:44 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I either put them in the dishwasher or on the back of the counter behind the faucet. I had two there (behind the faucet) last week when I had the inspection.
that is a good place NOt sure it would pass with my inspector Can you leave sdish soap on the counter I was told not to
itlw8 06:53 PM 08-30-2012
I hand wash right away and put it away. I never put thm in the dishwasher it ruins good knives
daycare 06:59 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
that is a good place NOt sure it would pass with my inspector Can you leave sdish soap on the counter I was told not to
Im in ca too. I was told no soap and no knives on the counter.

Both of mine are in the cabinet with the plates and my soap is in an old yogurt bucket with the lid on it where I can reach but the kids cannot
familyschoolcare 07:38 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Im in ca too. I was told no soap and no knives on the counter.

Both of mine are in the cabinet with the plates and my soap is in an old yogurt bucket with the lid on it where I can reach but the kids cannot
I bought that lysol kitchen cleaner the stuff for washing dishes, counters and hands so I have hand soap on the counter not dish soap
daycare 07:43 PM 08-30-2012
One thing I hate about ca regs.

Too much grey area!!!

See what you have on your counter my licensor would site me for.

Does the container say keep out of reach of children on it? If so then she would site me for it.

I think it spends on the licensor because Of all the grey area
familyschoolcare 12:52 PM 08-31-2012
So what are you supposed to use for.hand soap
dave4him 01:00 PM 08-31-2012
My dishwasher runs all day thanks to my children who like to push the on button
MarinaVanessa 03:35 PM 08-31-2012
Hmm, I'm in CA and passed my inspection with knives on the counter. I actually have two sets, one on each side of the kitchen. Both of mine are pushed back up against the wall though so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I dunno, maybe different areas are more strict than others? I just got a new analyst too so maybe I should call and ask. Maybe my new one will be more strict.
Heidi 03:53 PM 08-31-2012
I just slide mine to the middle of the counter during the meal (a penninsula, accessible from both sides), then it goes into the dishwasher (or I hand wash it, depending on the knife) when the kids dishes do.

My children are seated at the table during the meal, and I do not leave a step stool out, and I am sitting with them. So, I GUESS I could fall asleep at the table and they could sneak over quietly and stab someone or themselves violently. , or go hog wild and whip up a chopped salad while I'm snoring....

I guess one option is to get rid of all my sharp knives and only use butter knives...then there'd be no risk at all.

Seriously-These children have to live in the real world, don't they? Sure, I'll cover my outlets and gate my stairs and lock up my medicines. But I guarantee that no matter WHAT I come up with, some little kid is going to be smarter and get around it.

My friend once found her 2 year old (now 19) on TOP of the refrigerator...there were Teddy Grahams in the cupboard. I found the same kid on TOP of a 10' pile of oil cans at Menards. I have no idea how he survived childhood.
daycarediva 06:10 PM 08-31-2012
I put mine in a cup under the kitchen sink. Works for me and my registrar.
Countrygal 05:08 AM 09-01-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
This one doesn't work. Have to be completely off the counter. I had some I had just used (in fact wasn't done with the meal when she came - burnt my eggs. ) but she mentioned it AND my knife rack which is pushed to the back of the counter specifically.

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I put mine in a cup under the kitchen sink. Works for me and my registrar.
This sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, she made me move my knives that were in LOCKED cabinets (child locks) to an upper cabinet where the kids could not reach them on a stool.

Daycare - WI regs are the same way. I've always wondered about the "soap" reg. How can they wash their hands???? No soap???? Actually in another of our regs it says they need to have soap available to wash hands. C'mon!!! Let's get these laws sorted out!!! IN all honesty, tho, I recently discovered our laws were revised since I opened, and I have not gone over them yet, so maybe some of this has been dealt with.....

Heidi - I soooooo agree!!!! Like I said, she came in the middle of making my meal (kids had just eaten), and I had a knife out. She could clearly see I was still cooking. I even mentioned my eggs were definitely well done! But she specifically mentioned the knives could not be left on the counter. UGH!!! There's no way I'll ever pass an inspection - they always find SOMETHING. The high point is that she did not mention my garbage can with the plastic bag liner. Kids don't stand a chance of learning about life! They are too "insulated". I can understand, esp. with law suits as prevalent as they are, tho...... Oh, and she specifically mentioned butter knives are included.

I think I'll have to get used to NEVER setting a knife down, even if I have to help someone in the bathroom. Maybe I could put a tray specifically for dirty knives on top of my refrig (although I consider this unsanitary - it is called cross contamination) if I don't have a moment to wash them immediately.

WOW!! Thanks for all of the responses! I'm answered a lot of them! Such great variety! You gals are AWESOME!!!
Reply Up