Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Scheduling An Interview - Going Against Gut Feeling
Baby Beluga 06:47 AM 05-20-2015
I apologize in advance if this is long.

I had a woman contact me on my business FB page regarding childcare. She started off her email saying "I emailed you through Craigslist but sometimes those responses go to my spam folder so I am contacting you here." (I never received an email via CL from her, even in my spam folder) No specifics about her child, just that she was interested in meeting. I looked at her FB page and there was not one single thing about her having a child. But there were loads of pictures of her and her dogs, including recent ones.

This was Friday night therefore I did not respond. She then sent me another email (this time through CL - which I did get) yesterday specifically asking what ages I took (she then said she had a 13 month old) and again asked to meet.

I responded with some info about my program and asked if she was looking for immediate care as I am not enrolling anyone under 18 months. She responded this morning that she was looking for immediate care but still wanted to meet.

Am I off my rocker for thinking this is suspicious? My gut told me from the first contact that this was not legitimate. What do you think - still do the interview or tell her I don't interview until closer to enrollment time?
Onawhim 06:51 AM 05-20-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I apologize in advance if this is long.

I had a woman contact me on my business FB page regarding childcare. She started off her email saying "I emailed you through Craigslist but sometimes those responses go to my spam folder so I am contacting you here." (I never received an email via CL from her, even in my spam folder) No specifics about her child, just that she was interested in meeting. I looked at her FB page and there was not one single thing about her having a child. But there were loads of pictures of her and her dogs, including recent ones.

This was Friday night therefore I did not respond. She then sent me another email (this time through CL - which I did get) yesterday specifically asking what ages I took (she then said she had a 13 month old) and again asked to meet.

I responded with some info about my program and asked if she was looking for immediate care as I am not enrolling anyone under 18 months. She responded this morning that she was looking for immediate care but still wanted to meet.

Am I off my rocker for thinking this is suspicious? My gut told me from the first contact that this was not legitimate. What do you think - still do the interview or tell her I don't interview until closer to enrollment time?
If you don't take under 18 months at this time I wouldn't do it. It seems weird. And weird that there are no pictures of her child on her page.
Thriftylady 07:12 AM 05-20-2015
I will say that some people don't put pics of their kids on facebook due to safety concerns. But if you don't want a child that age, I would just offer to add her to my wait list unless you are considering taking the child.
Baby Beluga 07:31 AM 05-20-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I will say that some people don't put pics of their kids on facebook due to safety concerns. But if you don't want a child that age, I would just offer to add her to my wait list unless you are considering taking the child.
I am one of these people so I do understand it happens - you would NEVER know I was a parent by looking at my page. But in my experience I have found that people are either pictures posters or not. I just thought it stuck out to have so many pics of her pets but no mention of a child.
hope 07:57 AM 05-20-2015
I would ask to call her to clear things up. Clarify that you are not taking under 18 months and her child is only 13 mo ths so therefore can not provide immediate care like she needs. Ask what her intentions are for the interview. Ask if she is will to interview to be put on a wait list. I would want to talk with her before having her come to my home. Something does sound off. Go with your gut.
originalkat 06:41 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
This is what I would do as well.
kitykids3 07:19 AM 05-22-2015
I would just confirm you aren't taking children her age and ask if she wants to be put on a waiting list.
Baby Beluga 09:52 AM 05-22-2015
So, I did some searching with the info she gave me. She does have a little one. I found two postings in FB parenting groups. Then I searched CL with her number.....

She has a current ad out for childcare in my area

It is possible that she is a provider and wants to send her 13 month old elsewhere, but I am thinking it is unlikely. I just got a very weird feeling from her - a very pushy feeling. I did not want to question her regarding the ad on CL so simply told her I do not interview until children are closer to the age of enrollment and suggested she contact me in the fall when her little one was closer to 18 months. I haven't heard a peep since.
Starburst 04:01 PM 05-22-2015
She may just want to look at as many child care programs as possible to compare and contrast (she may be willing to go on a waiting list). If you don't feel comfortable initially inviting her into your house, maybe meet up at a public place (I used to meet perspective babysitting families at Starbucks if neither of us felt comfortable meeting at their or my house) and have pics of your home/daycare on the phone just in case and offer a follow up meeting at your place if you feel comfortable after meeting her.

Just playing devil's advocate (my anxiety side talking), there may be a small possibility that it is someone who is thinking of starting their own daycare in your area and trying to get an idea of her 'competition' (I know BC's probably going to reprimand me about saying that word) and ideas for creating her own space.
Blackcat31 04:56 PM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by Starburst:
She may just want to look at as many child care programs as possible to compare and contrast (she may be willing to go on a waiting list). If you don't feel comfortable initially inviting her into your house, maybe meet up at a public place (I used to meet perspective babysitting families at Starbucks if neither of us felt comfortable meeting at their or my house) and have pics of your home/daycare on the phone just in case and offer a follow up meeting at your place if you feel comfortable after meeting her.

Just playing devil's advocate (my anxiety side talking), there may be a small possibility that it is someone who is thinking of starting their own daycare in your area and trying to get an idea of her 'competition' (I know BC's probably going to reprimand me about saying that word) and ideas for creating her own space.
No issues with that at all....?

I actually think you are probably 100% right.

It sounds like a want-to-be or new provider looking to gather information.
daycare 05:01 PM 05-22-2015
i have interviewed with pregnant moms.

i would call and talk, this is one of my requirements as part of the interview process. this will help eliminate a lot of fluff before meeting in person.

i would still move forward with it and meet with her. After meeting her if you think they could be a fit, I would then invite her to join the wait list.

I would not put anyone on my wait list that I don't think would be a good fit.
Tags:interview
Reply Up