Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toy Storage Ideas...
ABCDaycareMN 12:29 PM 11-06-2012
First off, I have a very small space (townhouse). I am using my whole house (besides my bedroom) for childcare. I need ideas for toy storage. I am very organized and I hate messes.

At first I was thinking about getting a cube storage unit.. Anyone have one, does it work for you?

Otherwise i was thinking about getting plastic storage unit with drawers but think about little fingers getting stuck often...

What do you use? It will be in my main living space/dining room so want it somewhat organized and attractive as much as toys can get...
DCMom 12:35 PM 11-06-2012
IKEA.

So many choices for storage, especially if you are combining childcare and your living space.

I am also in MN and often go to the store to just get ideas in their displays. I personally love the Trofast drawer system, but there are many choices.
littlemissmuffet 12:45 PM 11-06-2012
I have cube shelving along the walls of the playroom - all the toys, puzzles and books are nicely stacked and sorted into baskets on the shelves. Larger toys are stored in larger baskets/bins which look nice when placed in the corners of the room.
I think the plastic drawer towers look kind of junky and they aren't very sturdy... I just use them to store crafts.
MonkeyingAround 01:28 PM 11-06-2012
Hi! I am in the same boat as you. I am "opening" my daycare in january and would love to hear everyone's ideas. I have 4 kids of my own and they go downstairs to our unfinished (but carpeted) basement to play with their toys.

I hate clutter too and I just plan on bring up a few bins of toys every day and rotate the toys for DC's. Think that would work?
LK5kids 03:51 PM 11-06-2012
I have identical low shelves that school supply compaines sell (like discount school supply) that my husband built. I have lots of nice, matching, red tubs from when I taught kindergarten. I make sure toys stay sorted. That's about it.
LK5kids 03:54 PM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by MonkeyingAround:
Hi! I am in the same boat as you. I am "opening" my daycare in january and would love to hear everyone's ideas. I have 4 kids of my own and they go downstairs to our unfinished (but carpeted) basement to play with their toys.

I hate clutter too and I just plan on bring up a few bins of toys every day and rotate the toys for DC's. Think that would work?
I think that would work if I was doing child care right in my family room or living room. I'd have to clear it out at night too. That's why I've always had a separate area for my child care center. But what about a kitchen set? There are small, toddler kitchens that could be easily moved each night and kids play just as well with those.
ABCDaycareMN 04:19 PM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I think that would work if I was doing child care right in my family room or living room. I'd have to clear it out at night too. That's why I've always had a separate area for my child care center. But what about a kitchen set? There are small, toddler kitchens that could be easily moved each night and kids play just as well with those.
I already have a kitchen set. I really like the ikea idea, but spendy. For now, i just brought my daughters toy box downstairs until i can get something to actually sort everything and i can get rid of the bins in the garage of separate toys.
TheMonkeyFam 04:38 PM 11-06-2012
We currently use a s all bookshelf and some canvas handled totes. I keep mostly bigger toys. I will be buying some of the shelving units from ikea when I have the money. I love that you can adjust the size of the bins to fit the toys you have.
melilley 03:47 PM 11-08-2012
I agree, plastic drawers look junky. The storage cubes that you can buy in 6, 8, or 9 cubes look nice and are functional and you can get the fabric drawers in many colors to hold some of the toys. Also, the toy storage units that you buy that are wooden and have plastic bins in are useful too. Try doing a search of "pictures of in home daycares" this is where I got some of my storage ideas. I am using my front living room for the main play space and too have a limited amount of space to put toys and things.
Meeko 06:39 PM 11-08-2012
My Sams Club cubbies have worked out great. I got rid of the plastic. The bins are large and hold a lot and keep it hidden. My entry looks better now I think.

The pot holding the pens at the entrance says "Ashes of Problem Clients" One of my awesome DCM's bought it for me!!!! Next to that is the dreaded "red folder" that is open at 6PM and late fees apply!
Attached: DSC_0171.jpg (58.6 KB) DSC_0173.jpg (97.6 KB) Signin 1.jpg (89.1 KB) Signin 2.jpg (89.3 KB) 
ABCDaycareMN 07:01 PM 11-08-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
My Sams Club cubbies have worked out great. I got rid of the plastic. The bins are large and hold a lot and keep it hidden. My entry looks better now I think.

The pot holding the pens at the entrance says "Ashes of Problem Clients" One of my awesome DCM's bought it for me!!!! Next to that is the dreaded "red folder" that is open at 6PM and late fees apply!
Are you sure you operate a daycare? LOL J/k!!!

I love those SAMs club cubbies. I'm debating on getting rid of my fish tank to create more space for storage. I am not going to purchase anything until I actually get my license and get kids in and have an income. All these suggestions are great! Hopefully when I move I will have a much larger daycare space!
coolconfidentme 01:04 PM 11-08-2012
Stack & mount milk crates on the wall. Mix & match colors...
Tags:toy storage
Reply Up