Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do With Child Who Constantly Talks Inappropriately?
AfterSchoolMom 05:13 AM 10-13-2010
I have a SA DCB who is 8, and is constantly talking about violence, guns, shooting, killing, etc. He even sat at my kitchen table last week and told me that he was going to shoot his Dad because Dad said that he couldn't buy a video game! If he doesn't like something, he makes comments like "I'm going to get an AK-47 and shoot that" or "I'm going to get a sword and chop off that (insert whatever he's unhappy with)'s head".

He also apparently watches a LOT of youtube videos at home, and they either contain actual bad language or censored bad language. He comes here quoting what he's seen, and is all the time going "what the BEEP!" (he actually says "beep" and not the bad word, but it's implied), etc.

He doesn't seem to enjoy ANYTHING - I can't get him to participate in crafts, games, etc. While everyone else participates, he either does his own thing or stands off to the side making sarchastic or violent comments about the activity (say we're doing an animal craft - he'll say "I HATE lions - they're stupid" or "I'd get my gun and shoot that lion if I saw him!")

Here's the thing. He has NEVER laid an actual hand on anyone here, nor do I believe that he would. He is not physically violent in any way, he just talks about violence. He does his homework with no prompting, cleans up after himself, and generally follows my other rules beautifully. His Mom picks up on time or early and pays on time each week. If it weren't for this issue, he'd be a "perfect" DCB!

He's actually made several of these types of comments in front of Mom, and she just rolls here eyes and laughs it off - apparently he does the same at home and isn't corrected for it. I haven't made a big deal of it yet, because I was hoping that he was just getting used to being here and it would calm down when we all got into our school year routine. It hasn't.

Do I need to talk to Mom about this? I've tried saying something to him, but he completely shuts down when you correct him for anything - even if I say "please don't do that", he freaks out, talking about how everyone hates him and that he wishes he was at his other daycare (I mentioned that in another thread - he told me that he was going to tell Mom that I was mean and that he wanted to go back to his old daycare). Yesterday I got on him for his attitude and he started chanting "I wish I wasn't here, I wish I wasn't here...." over and over.

It's weird, and I don't know how to handle this! Am I making too big a deal of it?
Tags:bad words, inappropriate talk
Up