Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hitting...(Sigh)...
Christian Mother 12:50 PM 06-02-2011
I have the cutest little guy who has been in my care for almost a yr or so and he is now 20 mos. He can't stop hitting. He hits out of frustration. No biting..yet. But he hits if he doesn't get what he wants and I mean hits everyone including himself and me. He is getting a lot better with his words. He can produce about 2 words now where as he could only speak one word at a time. All the kids are getting beaten up. I can't put him in time out bc he isn't quiet 2 yet and I am at my wits end redirecting him. Nothing is really helping. I've spoken to his parents and they are aware of this behavior as he kits his dad often when it's pick up time. I know he is holding back from disciplining while I am there. It has def. taken quiet a bit of time to train him to stop hitting and nothing i am doing seems to help. Can I get some help please on how you handle this in your daycare.
daycare 12:57 PM 06-02-2011
I am sure you have already tried this, but I would stop his hand in action and tell him NO, nice hands and then show him what you expect of him. Let him know, hitting is NOT ok.

I have a sibling set and they are 2 and 3. the 2 year old only hits the sibling, but it's still not ok..It happens all the time. The parents are aware and said the 2yer old does it at home too.
Christian Mother 04:48 PM 06-02-2011
yup, that has been my usual routine. But he will screech and scream and trying hitting me when I grab his hand. He just plan does not like to be told "no". He is really good about go over to the child and giving them hugs after he's been talked to. Thank goodness the kids are good enough to except his sorry's. They are sooo cute. He is just at that age still where he isn't able to express himself and that is when hitting comes into effect. I just don't know what to do to get it to stop bc grabbing his hand and stopping him from hitting and telling him we nice to our friends and we use nice hands is only working after the effect. hahah!! Even with me right beside him at play time doesn't stop him from hitting. I talk to his father today and told him I gave him a few time outs bc I just didn't know what else to do. Technicality you shouldn't put a 20 mos in time out just yet but he need a place to go by him self to cool off. By the tired time he decided time out wasn't fun and i didn't have many problems after that.
countrymom 06:27 PM 06-02-2011
I had a kid like this, it lasted almost 4 months of him hitting. No matter how much I shadowed him, he would still hit. So everytime he would hit, I put him in a highchair. I would then tell him "no hitting" it was a long process but putting him in the corner just didn't work with him.
Sunshine44 06:14 AM 06-03-2011
I would put him in a pack n play for time out when he starts trying to hit you if you stop him from hitting someone else.
Christian Mother 01:18 PM 06-03-2011
Today was a much better day...he make the move to hit my 8yr old son today...mainly bc my son was to close to him and he made the move of trying to push him away or slapping at him so I instantly said "Nope, we do not hit here". And put him into the time out. I haven't had any problems after that. When I got him out of time out I asked him if we hit and he shook his head...YES..Head way!! This is the 2nd day i have tried the timeout...hopefully it's working...heheh!! I do def. want to try the pack n play if the time out doesn't work though!! Thank you ladies for your advise!! I appreciate it!!
cheerfuldom 01:31 PM 06-03-2011
I second separating him. You can do it within view and even gate off an area with toys. Playing with the other kids would then be seen as a privilege, especially when they are all doing something awesome without him (but in view).
Michelle 02:10 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I second separating him. You can do it within view and even gate off an area with toys. Playing with the other kids would then be seen as a privilege, especially when they are all doing something awesome without him (but in view).
There is also a cute book we have called "Hands are not for hitting"
but my "hitting child" used the book to hit the other kids with
MyAngels 02:27 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
There is also a cute book we have called "Hands are not for hitting"
but my "hitting child" used the book to hit the other kids with
Hands, sure, but nobody said anything about using books...
Christian Mother 05:50 PM 06-03-2011
Love it!! Haven't had a book yet hit someone but he loves cars...so his favorite form of torture is the med. size. monster trucks..
Tags:hitting
Reply Up