Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Throw Down Fits At Pick Up
jojosmommy 11:29 AM 05-16-2012
I have a 2 yr old and 4 yr old who are my toughest dck to date. Both have been here since birth. Mom is worthless and is never with the kids. Dad chooses not to pick up either (even though his schedule permits) and makes gma and gpa do drop off and pick up EVERYDAY.

My heart aches for these two kids and their grandparents. They are so in need of attention from their mom and dad they will drive the rest of us up the wall to get any attention.

The last 3 weeks both have been throwing the worst fits at pick up. 4 yr old has always been a pain at pick up, either trying to ruin my house, or running outside (unsupervised by mom or dad), you name it he has done it at pick up time. Now the 2 yr old has picked up on it and started to try the same stuff.

Gma can not physically control both and either doesn't know how or wont enforce the rules enough to get them out the door. So, I get shoes on, and get them ready ( that has been the routine for 2 yrs) Lately, even with shoes on and ready both are screaming (attention type, nonsense crying) and making such a fuss I can not handle it anymore. 2 yr old will lay down and scream, or run back to what we are doing (yesterday we were outside) and I am sick of prying her from what is going on to get her gone. Everyday I leave all my other dck upstairs (safe with gate locked) to drag these two out the door or have to completely ignore the rest to get them to the sidewalk to leave. I seriously re-arrange every activity around when these two are leaving.

I swear just once I want to stuff them out the gate, go back to my business and pretend I am too deaf to hear what is going on, leaving gma to do it all herself. But I feel like she already dreads picking these two monsters up, I can't even say hello to her without this nonsense starting.

WWYD?
temom 11:36 AM 05-16-2012
WOW!!! hats off to you Ma'am, for putting up with this for 2 yrs. i can't offer advice but Kuddos to all your efforts.
jojosmommy 11:41 AM 05-16-2012
Well the gma and gpa just entered the scene. Mom and dad were picking up off and on for a while but gma and gpa just moved here and so the mom is using (abusing) gmas kindness.

And the 4 yr old I have had for far too long. Since he was tiny. I am couting the days until K. Too bad he won't go this Fall.

And no, terming is not an option. Oh how I wish some days I could tell them off.
wdmmom 11:43 AM 05-16-2012
If putting on shoes is such a struggle, tell DCD to get slip on shoes or flip flops. Don't have them put their shoes on. They can just slide them on and go.

I wouldn't give them access to the front door. Wait til Gma is there, get the boys, have them slip their shoes on and send them packing.

Or, tell DCD that with the problems you are experiencing, it's best to have DCM or DCD do pick ups and only use Gma for emergencies.
temom 11:47 AM 05-16-2012
I know what you mean, I Had a DCM who had cancer but Thank God was caught early and everything was fine (body wise) mentally this woman needed help. I had offered to drop her DCB kid home she said she wasn't comfortable him being in someone else car and would make her 80 yr old mum walk to pick the kid up. I use to feel so bad for the DCGM, there were days i thought she would pass out. Its sad how first they raise their kids now they have to raise their kids, kids.
Tags:meltdown, pick up behavior
Reply Up