Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Fill This.....
cheerfuldom 05:47 PM 12-13-2012
my hubby is making my kids (bio kids) art caddies for open ended art....something like this http://ellaminnowpeas.tumblr.com/pos...-writing-caddy

What art supplies would you put in for open ended art time? I do know for sure that my kids cannot handle regular glue, we do glue sticks only. We also dont put out paint on a regular basis. I want to put in items that they can do on their own with minimal supervision. It would be for a 3.5 and a 5 year old.

okay go!
blandino 05:52 PM 12-13-2012
Pom poms, sequins, paper scraps, coffee filters (the texture is so different). Foam stickers, cotton balls.
blandino 05:56 PM 12-13-2012
http://tjartroom.blogspot.com.au/201...1801425340&m=1

This is a good idea for glue, that can be out and available.
countrymom 05:58 PM 12-13-2012
crayons, cards (like christmas cards-I use the fronts of the ones I get) envelopes, stickers
SilverSabre25 06:18 PM 12-13-2012
watercolors? My DD has been doing watercolors on her own since around 3.5/4
cheerfuldom 08:07 PM 12-13-2012
coffee filters? never would have thought of that
daycare 08:13 PM 12-13-2012
Why do you do with the coffee filters
blandino 08:17 PM 12-13-2012
They can color on them with markers, and paint with water on top - and the color spreads. It is a really easy version of painting, that is CLEAN. The absorbent texture is just really different than most things and with my kiddos - the possibilities are endless.
MyAngels 08:37 PM 12-13-2012
Here is a good blog post with something similar including suggestions on what to put in:

http://www.learnwithplayathome.com/2...w-and-why.html
nothingwithoutjoy 09:00 PM 12-13-2012
Markers, colored pencils, pens, pencils, crayons, scissors, tape, cool patterned/colored tapes, hole punch, stapler.
LK5kids 02:11 AM 12-14-2012
Originally Posted by blandino:
They can color on them with markers, and paint with water on top - and the color spreads. It is a really easy version of painting, that is CLEAN. The absorbent texture is just really different than most things and with my kiddos - the possibilities are endless.
I have kids sit and do coffee filter art for ages!
daycarediva 06:52 AM 12-14-2012
bingo markers, color change markers, twistable colored pencils, paint filled brushes, stickers, bags of odd cut cardstock paper (used more than anything else in our 'free art' area)
wdmmom 06:57 AM 12-14-2012
Stencils, color books, stamp set.
melilley 07:54 PM 12-14-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Stencils, color books, stamp set.
I have found that kids Love to use stamp sets! Can you recommend a brand that actually washes off? I have used some "washable" ink pads in the past, but the poor kids went home with colored hands, faces, arms...lol
melilley 07:56 PM 12-14-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
my hubby is making my kids (bio kids) art caddies for open ended art....something like this http://ellaminnowpeas.tumblr.com/pos...-writing-caddy

What art supplies would you put in for open ended art time? I do know for sure that my kids cannot handle regular glue, we do glue sticks only. We also dont put out paint on a regular basis. I want to put in items that they can do on their own with minimal supervision. It would be for a 3.5 and a 5 year old.

okay go!
Neat idea! Your hubby must be crafty!
cheerfuldom 08:52 PM 12-14-2012
Originally Posted by melilley:
Neat idea! Your hubby must be crafty!
oh yes he is! we have a discovery board and a dress up closet plus wooden toys he has made. Next up are the caddies, a book shelf and a magnetic wall to add to the daycare room....maybe a sensory or light table.
wdmmom 09:08 PM 12-14-2012
Originally Posted by melilley:
I have found that kids Love to use stamp sets! Can you recommend a brand that actually washes off? I have used some "washable" ink pads in the past, but the poor kids went home with colored hands, faces, arms...lol
I bought a Melissa & Doug set at Kohls. Other than blue, its easy to clean little hands.
CozyHome 01:28 AM 12-15-2012
YIKES! I won't let my dckids have any artistic mediums like that without my supervision. My kids love to colour with washable markers which isn't such a biggie for washups but they only have them at their booster chairs at my table. That is also where we craft, play with playdo, paint, etc. while I'm watching them. People who let children have crafting mediums on their own are asking for messes and problems in my opinion!
cheerfuldom 08:03 AM 12-15-2012
Originally Posted by CozyHome:
YIKES! I won't let my dckids have any artistic mediums like that without my supervision. My kids love to colour with washable markers which isn't such a biggie for washups but they only have them at their booster chairs at my table. That is also where we craft, play with playdo, paint, etc. while I'm watching them. People who let children have crafting mediums on their own are asking for messes and problems in my opinion!
First of all, this post was about my own biological children (I should have put it in off topic....) but secondly, just because I set up open art time, does not mean that any kid, including my own, is left to do a free for all and makes messes upsupervised. My original post said "minimal supervision" meaning that I was going to be watching but not right in there doing the craft for them.....I hate arts and crafts like that. I think the kids need their space to be creative. I disagree with the bolded because I dont see creativity and a having a good time as a "problem". I am trying to contain potential messes which is why I asked for ideas outside of paint and regular glue. The kids (including daycare kids) are taught how to use the art supplies without making an unreasonable amount of messes and they also help clean up.

Maybe it was just how I am reading your post but I am a little defensive as I see it as you saying that open art (something we love here!) is a bad idea. If that is what you think, you and your kiddos are really missing out on a good time!
mema 10:25 AM 12-17-2012
My dd likes ribbons, feathers, buttons, those little paper punch thingys that have different shapes (hopefully that makes sense), coffee filters, paper plates (small and big), markers, crayons, colored pencils, stickers, and much more!
Tags:arts and crafts
Reply Up