Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fuming Mad!!
Butter Biskets 04:53 PM 10-10-2014
Okay. I have been posting in the last few days about one of my problem families. Today I got great advice on a letter that I was working on regarding rates and services that they were previously getting for free.

Anyways, dcd just got home from working out of town. The agreement was that he was to pick up the girls early on his days off. I agreed initially to watch the kids late every friday to help mom out while dad is out of town. Well, like i said dad is home, slept and hung out in cozy red flannel pjs all day and didn't pick up the kids before closing (this is the night that I had agreed to help mom out with while dad was away). I am so pissed. he flat out admitted he did nothing all day and yet he still picks them up late. I AM DONE!!! I am shaking I am so mad. I sent the following letter to make it perfectly clear with the timing that this was the incident that triggered my decision.

October 10, 2014

Dear xxx and xxx

This letter is to inform you that effective December 1st, 2014, rates will be increasing to $800/month per child. I am no longer able to offer a discount for multiple children of one family, as I have found that my costs per child do not decrease. Also effective November 1st, 2014, children picked up after my closing time of 5:00 pm will be subject to a fee of $10.00 per 30 minute block (or ANY portion of that block) to compensate for the extended hours of care. This notice should give you sufficient time to arrange for your child to be picked up on time, if you choose to not pay the overtime rate.

New contracts reflecting these changes will need to be signed before November 1st, 2014.

I will provide a hardcopy of this notice on Tuesday, October 14, 2014.

Thank you,

dcp

Initially I was sickened by the thought of sending this notice, but not anymore. If they don't like it, TOO BAD! they can leave. Ya, it is half my income, but i don't care anymore. the one dcg is a nightmare 3day out of 5 at least and with everything else, i am so passed done. thanks for listening to my rage.
NeedaVaca 05:37 PM 10-10-2014
Wow! I would be soooo mad too! Good for you on sending the letter, it's a perfect letter and it's great that you aren't nervous about sending it anymore! Have a nice glass of wine (or your beverage of choice) and try to enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Butter Biskets 05:47 PM 10-10-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Wow! I would be soooo mad too! Good for you on sending the letter, it's a perfect letter and it's great that you aren't nervous about sending it anymore! Have a nice glass of wine (or your beverage of choice) and try to enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Thanks, I am glad it sounded okay. I am still nervous, but my nervousness is over-ridden with rage. I am too upset to eat or drink anything right now.
Thriftylady 06:12 PM 10-10-2014
At some point, you just gotta put your foot down. It will work out okay.
NightOwl 07:49 PM 10-10-2014
You did the right thing! Good for you! They take advantage of us so often, it's time they got a wake up call. Your letter was perfect, not bitchy, not hateful. Very professional.
Meyou 01:13 AM 10-11-2014
I would make your late fees higher. $10 for 30 minutes is a pretty good deal for a parent not too concerned about your time. I charge $2/min and at that price I don't mind at all if someone is late. THEY mind a whole bunch though!
Butter Biskets 07:17 AM 10-11-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I would make your late fees higher. $10 for 30 minutes is a pretty good deal for a parent not too concerned about your time. I charge $2/min and at that price I don't mind at all if someone is late. THEY mind a whole bunch though!
I agree. That price has been weighing on my mind since I sent the letter, but it is too late now. I hope they get the message though, but I doubt it.

If asked, should I just tell them straight up why I have decided to do this? (That the free Friday nights were to help mom out when dad was out of town, not for dad to sleep all day and play video games longer when he's home and two, that dcg is a nightmare and not worth the steep $200/month sibling discount that she was getting.) But like someone else said in another sibling discount thread, the discount just becomes the rate and they don't even see it as a discount anymore.

I had nightmares about the whole thing last night and kept waking myself up yelling in my sleep. In my dream, I did stand my ground and she did pull the kids. Now I just hope that I can stand up for myself if and when the time comes for real.
NeedaVaca 07:40 AM 10-11-2014
I would probably just start with saying the current arrangement is no longer working for me. Then if pressed for more I would be honest and say the generosity you offered for mom was for when dad was out of town, THEY broke that agreement on Friday because dad was home so that offer is now off the table. This really puts it back on them, they made the choice to take advantage of you so now you are making the choice to not offer it anymore

As far as the sibling discount, I wouldn't say anything about the DCG's behavior and would just say you are no longer offering that discount.

Personally for me I do not offer sibling discounts because they are still taking a space, they eat the same as everyone else, I still buy crafts/supplies etc...it's not like they are less work so why should they pay less?
Naptime yet? 07:58 AM 10-11-2014
If they pull, they pull. Sometimes peace of mind/less stress & frustration is worth more than money dollar bills.

I wouldn't mention dcg's behavior, either, just leave it at policy issues.

I think you also did the right thing! And no matter how nervous you may be come Monday, don't be bullied or let dcm/dcd make you feel less than you are. The hardest part may have been sending the letter, now you have time to cool down & be level-headed and just keep in the back of your mind "stay professional".
TheGoodLife 09:27 AM 10-11-2014
I would explain that the discount doesnt work for the business as it doesnt lower tour coats, and that noone else is receiving the sibling discount but you decided to honor it for them through the rest of the year. As for the overtime, you noticed it was being taken advantage of when they chose to use that time when not necessary and that you are going to stick to your contracted closing time or get paid to work overtime. If they press it, ask them point blank if they would want to work for free?!
Butter Biskets 10:02 AM 10-11-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
I would explain that the discount doesnt work for the business as it doesnt lower tour coats, and that noone else is receiving the sibling discount but you decided to honor it for them through the rest of the year. As for the overtime, you noticed it was being taken advantage of when they chose to use that time when not necessary and that you are going to stick to your contracted closing time or get paid to work overtime. If they press it, ask them point blank if they would want to work for free?!
This sounds perfect. Now to memorize it so I don't falter under pressure.
MOM OF 4 10:58 AM 10-11-2014
Originally Posted by Monkey Toes:
Okay. I have been posting in the last few days about one of my problem families. Today I got great advice on a letter that I was working on regarding rates and services that they were previously getting for free.

Anyways, dcd just got home from working out of town. The agreement was that he was to pick up the girls early on his days off. I agreed initially to watch the kids late every friday to help mom out while dad is out of town. Well, like i said dad is home, slept and hung out in cozy red flannel pjs all day and didn't pick up the kids before closing (this is the night that I had agreed to help mom out with while dad was away). I am so pissed. he flat out admitted he did nothing all day and yet he still picks them up late. I AM DONE!!! I am shaking I am so mad. I sent the following letter to make it perfectly clear with the timing that this was the incident that triggered my decision.

October 10, 2014

Dear xxx and xxx

This letter is to inform you that effective December 1st, 2014, rates will be increasing to $800/month per child. I am no longer able to offer a discount for multiple children of one family, as I have found that my costs per child do not decrease. Also effective November 1st, 2014, children picked up after my closing time of 5:00 pm will be subject to a fee of $10.00 per 30 minute block (or ANY portion of that block) to compensate for the extended hours of care. This notice should give you sufficient time to arrange for your child to be picked up on time, if you choose to not pay the overtime rate.

New contracts reflecting these changes will need to be signed before November 1st, 2014.

I will provide a hardcopy of this notice on Tuesday, October 14, 2014.

Thank you,

dcp

Initially I was sickened by the thought of sending this notice, but not anymore. If they don't like it, TOO BAD! they can leave. Ya, it is half my income, but i don't care anymore. the one dcg is a nightmare 3day out of 5 at least and with everything else, i am so passed done. thanks for listening to my rage.
You can always find other kiddos! Even if there's a gap in time, or they quit before you can. I'd start looking for replacements NOW and go from there. GOOD LUCK AND YAY FOR STANDING UP FOR YOURSELF AND BUSINESS!
cheerfuldom 11:22 AM 10-11-2014
I would increase your late fee to $1 per minute per child. $10 for 30 minutes of care for multiple kids on a Friday night is still a great deal (for them) and hardly going to stop the late evenings. I know plenty of parents that would pay that rate to have extra time on Friday and it sounds like you want these kids picked up, not extra cash for late evening.
Reply Up