Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time Coughing?
Unregistered 11:14 AM 12-17-2014
Any tips on how to help a 2 yr old who can't stop coughing? He's not getting good rest and neither are the other kiddos. His sinus must be draining I've tried giving him sips of water but it hasn't done any good. Would you call his parents to pick him up if it continues??
Play Care 11:24 AM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Any tips on how to help a 2 yr old who can't stop coughing? He's not getting good rest and neither are the other kiddos. His sinus must be draining I've tried giving him sips of water but it hasn't done any good. Would you call his parents to pick him up if it continues??
How has he been otherwise? If he's been good all day then I'd probably just let it go. If I could I'd move him to another room so at least some of the kids can rest!

Now if he's been coughing his head off all day, and obviously unwell then I'd call for pick up.
permanentvacation 11:26 AM 12-17-2014
I don't send kids home for a cough. Maybe you can let him sit up for a little while until he calms down. Maybe try making him lay on his side. If he's old enough, get him to blow his nose.
Kabob 11:29 AM 12-17-2014
Can you have him lay on his belly? Sometimes that helps.
daycare 11:37 AM 12-17-2014
I would send home. If he's disruptive to the point that others can't sleep I would not hesitate to send home.
daycarediva 11:39 AM 12-17-2014
It may just be a post nasal drip thing if it's only when laying down. Can you run a cool mist humidifier to see if it helps? Separate? If I couldn't make a reasonable accomodations I would send home.
Leigh 12:16 PM 12-17-2014
Coughing only at nap time always makes me think Croup. Do you think that's what it sounds like? Any other symptoms?
craftymissbeth 12:20 PM 12-17-2014
I have one that's only been coughing at nap, but I think it's because all the gunk in his lungs settles down or something and it irritates them. IDK.. he doesn't keep the other kids up, though, thank goodness. Otherwise, he'd be in the main playroom sleeping rather than the nap room with the others.
Unregistered 02:37 PM 12-17-2014
I had this same issue with my child, would only cough when laying down. No fever but wasn't sleeping. Finally two days later took him to the doctor. He was diagnosed with walking pneumonia.
Unregistered 02:55 PM 12-19-2014
You could try propping him up with pillows so he isn't laying flat... helps me at night!
Reply Up